Question Encrypting PHP Code?

Hi! i'm a intermediate knowledged PHP programmer, i've got a question for all of you. I'm programming a website that involves PHP / MySQL... i want to know is it necessary / possible to encrypt PHP code? like for example if i don't encrypt it would somebody be able to crack into the database server and mess things up??. I'm not building a banking website or anything like that, just a website that has people fill-out a form, information goes into a MySQL database, and then i'm creating a control panel like site so users can access business leads from there. Any comments suggesstions would be of great help for me.

Thank you!

You can encrypt your code using the IonCube Encoder (which costs a little bit of money):

http://www.ioncube.com/

And then simply install the loader on your machine to decrypt it.

Here's a free obfuscater:
    http://www.richard.fairthorne.is-a-g...obfuscate.php?

It encodes the PHP (not encrypts) so you can't read it easily but, it is "crackable" quickly.
    Rob Johnston | LucidUK.com | [email protected]
    Who is Rob? boobear.co.uk
    MSN: [email protected] | AIM: rob at lucid

If someone can just crack into your database server, you've got bigger things to worry about than whether they have your PHP source.

People cant view your PHP source code unless they have access to the file. It isn't like html. So as long as your server is secure then they can't get your files.

When letting the user input information that is to be processed you should thourghly check the information they are sending you. It is easy to pass sql queries and such via text boxes if the scripts that process the information don't check that the data is in a valid format that you are expecting.

The reasons to encode you php is to make it faster and prevent people reading your source if you are distributing it.

Hey! everybody, i just wanted to thank you! all for the links/information you provided for me. I didn't know you could process SQL qureys through text boxes? strange. Well, anyhow i'll get out all those links.

Thank you!