FastServerManagement / CoastInc Spam

I recieved a spam email from fastservermanagement.com / coastinc.com after they nabbed my email address/domain name from the CPanel forums.

They have been reported there, but I thought folks here should know about it too. The message was as follows:

Hi,

I saw you were a member of the CPanel forums and would like to know if you were
    interested in receiving more information on our company providing
    'CPanel Server Management' service and '24x7x365 Server Monitoring with Reboot' service
    all for $29/month.

Please call or reply if you want me to send more information.

Thanks,
    John
    877-898-xxxx
    This has been reported on the CPanel forums and I sent full headers to every abuse contact I could find in relation to their site, including their IP provider. I CC'ed the abuse people at Coast Internet (CoastInc) before I knew they were the same people, and recieved this reply:

Charlie:

This is NOT spam. We simply saw you were a member of CPanel and
    sent you an e-mail asking if you wanted more information. There
    was no advertisement included and no fake information at all or of any kind.

We are deeply sorry if it offended you so badly, you are not on any spam
    list and you will not receive anything else from us.

Thank you,
    John
    People, be VERY wary of a webhost who spams! I sent Mr. John a 'nice' little email after his response indicating that his original mail was not spam.

What's funny is that KCDWorks has been closed for about 5 months, yet I still got spam from him.

i got one too
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I was lucky enough to have my time wasted by these idiots too.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Got me as well.

He has now issued an 'apology', contending that the text quoted above was not an advertisement. Riiiiight.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread....threadid=21136

Can't see any of the stuff on the cpanel forums, since not a member, same goes for anyone else here that isn't a member.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Originally posted by Vamp22
    Can't see any of the stuff on the cpanel forums, since not a member, same goes for anyone else here that isn't a member.
    Well, I would say that it is safe to sign up and know that you'll be spam free, but considering the situation ...

hey I'd like to receive that kind of mail

Greetings:

One of the defintions of spam used by a lot of people is that if it is unsolicited, then it is spam.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I have been with CoastInc for about a year now and have generally been satisfied with their services. However recently they have hit me with a "sign this, or else" with a thinly veiled threat to shut down my servers if I don't sign:
    Authorization:
    I authorize Coast Internet Solutions, Inc. to charge my credit card each month for all fees due that month for the services I have subscribed to, until I notify them in writing* in accordance with our Policies. I also understand that the fees due will include the regular monthly fees for that month, and may include additional fees from the previous month if applicable, and overages for that month if applicable. I also understand that the first charge placed on my credit card will include the balance already due on my account, if any. I agree to pay the above credit card charges in accordance with the credit card company's Card Issuer Agreement.

I understand that Coast Internet Solutions, Inc. will apply a chargeback fee to my account ($100.00 as of the time this is written), if I initialize a chargeback with my credit card issuer, to reverse any payment without Coast Internet Solutions, Inc. permission of any of the charges authorized herein, and I agree to pay this fee and the amount of the charge back if this occurs. All charges are for service rendered are nonrefundable after the first 30 days of service in accordance with our Policies.

I understand and agree to the Coast Internet Solutions, Inc. Policies located at http://www.coastinc.com/policies.html
    All cancellations must be in writing* 15 days prior to the expiration date of your account with us. Under no circumstances are chargeback's allowed for any reason at all including but not limited to 'quality of service related issues', 'non-receipt of service issues', 'cardholder does not recognize inquiry', etc. All billing inquiries or issues must be made in writing* and allow up to 48 hours for a response.

* Due to the unreliability of e-mail and lack of the ability to prove or track status of an e-mail, sending an e-mail does "not" constitute communication made in writing. US Certified Mail is the preferred method of communication made in writing. In the case of a dispute, it is the customer's responsibility to prove contact was made.

!! Please attach a Legible photo copy of the Front and Back of the Credit Card you provided above;
    and a Legible photo copy of the Front and Back of the Cardholder's Drivers License. !!
    Personally I have a real problem with strong arm tactics like this.

So what happened - did you sign it Rich Z?

I wouldnt
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

I received a copy of that, as well.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

what a bunch of theifs! whats wrong with providing ID if you're not a theif? I'd sign it and have with other companies in the past, even SSL companies (before all this free and instant ssl crap no authenticated ssl's) used to make you fax your drivers license and notarized documents, whats different??

Are they any good - fastservermanagement? I am looking at some other providers as well. But they all seem to say the same thing and it is difficult to differentiate one from the other.

Originally posted by seeperhost
    what a bunch of theifs! whats wrong with providing ID if you're not a theif? I'd sign it and have with other companies in the past, even SSL companies (before all this free and instant ssl crap no authenticated ssl's) used to make you fax your drivers license and notarized documents, whats different??

Lets say they massively screw up your server, and you do a chargeback. They are saying they will charge you 100 dollars for doing the chargeback.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance