Thread: What do I need.

What do I need.

I am considering getting a dedicated server. I run about 10 sites. Over all 10 sites, I get about 15,000 visitors a day, and about 50 gigs a month in data transfer. This is the system I'm considering:

P4 2.6 GHZ running FreeBSD
    1GB Ram
    10 Mbps connectivity

My first question is, will this run my sites at a pretty decent speed? If so, how much room will I have for expansion without upgrading. If not, what would you recommend.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Jacob G.

what datacenter your using?
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

What type of sites.. static/flatfile? dynamic/database? forums?
    Paul Civati
    Rack Sense Ltd UK Managed Services Provider
    Views expressed are my own and not those of the company.

I am using lunarpages to host my current accounts.

I am deciding between Managed.com and Servermatrix for my dedicated server.

Help me out all you pros.

No forums. One is dynamic and gets its feed from Amazon, the others are database driven in PHP and ASP.

ok

P4 2.6 GHZ running Lunix
    1GB Ram
    100 Mbps connectivity

100mbps is fast page load.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

And do you think this will run it at a pretty fast speed? How much leeway for growth do you think I would have before I had to upgrade?

Come on, more people help me out. I know you want to.

If you need ASP, then you need a windows server (unless you wanna buy chillesoft's ASP thing-ma-bob). As much as i'd like to give managed.com the full thumbs up on this one, they just aren't selling windows servers yet.

I think SM does (I would check to confirm, but i can't load the page....stupid crappy school proxy).

For the size of sites you're hosting, a 10Mbit unmetered package is a rather big waste of money at this point. Even with "only" 1000GB of traffic a month, that's ~3.2MBit sustained. If you go with SM, with the money you save by going with a non unmetered package, just get the 100Mbit port for a couple more bucks ($10 i think).

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

I heard it is a bad idea to use Windows on my server. Any thoughts on this. I also need to use mod_rewrite, which I don't think works with Windows. Maybe I'm wrong however.

Also, has anybody installed Chilisoft ASP on their server? If so, was it much trouble?

I'm just full of questions.

A clean install of windows is no less secure than a clean install of linux (Windows is technically even more secure at install, due to it not installing any server programs).

Check around on some IIS sites, they might have a equivilant. Chilisoft is insanly expensive, sitting around ~$500 USD/per server (though, it's unlimited cpu's). Also, The docs only say it works up till Redhat 7.3, nothing about anything higher, or even *BSD support.

~Francisco
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Another question, when I get a server with say.....Windows or BSD.

What would the standard software installs be on both?

Best to check with your server provider as this could vary across providers.

In Windows 2003 ENT, I found that it didn't install any server software, till you logged into the server it self, and you tell it to install (via a handy dandy GUI). I haven't played around with *BSD, so i'm not sure on what it installs usually. Though, on the linux (mostly debian, some redhat) boxes i've installed, it tossed apache & bind on. Though, if they were actually turned on, I honestly can't remember.

~Francisco

well if you want to go for Linux then i will say go with managed.com you will save good $$
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

What should I get, Red Hat or FreeBSD? Which is easier to use?

I just got the $85 a month with managed.com with Redhat. Good choice or bad choice? Think this'll do it for me?

When I ordered, it was awfully simple. I like simple and everything, but it almost seemed like it wasn't secure because it was so simple. There was no confirmation page or anything. I thought that was sort of weird.

Originally posted by freescr
    What should I get, Red Hat or FreeBSD? Which is easier to use?
    FreeBSD is considered the more secure OS, but linux holds its own pretty good too.

If going with Managed.com (or one of their resellers like tomsyer.net) , I'd get a linux package with cPanel/WHM added on - it will make your life much easier.