windows app control

I know very little about windows programming, and I need to search for a programmer to take on a task.

Is this possible:

I need someone to write me an application that will wrap a windows application, so it can be controlled over the net.

The application is a windowed app, with dropdown list, buttons, check boxes, etc. At present, there is no way to interact with it or send commands to it unless you are logged into the machine.

Is it at all possible to make a wrapper to do this? What language might this be done in?
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

Citrix server using terminal services?? or doesnt terminal services allow you to set up as an Application service so you can interact with apps ??
    [url]I got nothing/url]

For clarity's sake, don't use "<ip address of hostname>" use the ACTUAL 32-bit numeric IP address of the machine.

MikeM,

This in on windows platform. Other than that, I have no idea how to answer what you are asking.

Giving the client remote desktop access is not possible - this is on a shared machine. Of course the admin can use VNC, but the end users cannot.
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."

try this:

http://www.webecon.bris.ac.uk/calnet/launch/launch.htm

but if this is a shared server, you probably will not be abble to execute files on it.. the Sysadmin would need to enable this.

Citrix, Terminal Services, NFuse, Sharepoint. These are Application server based programs. Designed to serve up multiple applications and services through the web.
    Last edited by MikeM; 03-04-2004 at 08:34 PM.
    [url]I got nothing/url]

For clarity's sake, don't use "<ip address of hostname>" use the ACTUAL 32-bit numeric IP address of the machine.

If the program supports command line then probably you could call it through an ASP or ISAPI but beyond that I am not sure how possible it is since you do not have administrative access to the machine.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Let me try to clear this up a bit.

This is for a game I am hosting for a customer.

I have full access to the machine, VNC, etc. Its my machine.

The customer has only FTP access to the machine. As such, its impossible to directly control the game. UNlike most games, this game has NO remote console (rcon) capability whatsoever. Hence, the only way to make any changes is to edit the config file and restart the app.

Since the game DOES have a server console windowed app, I am wondering if it is possible to write a script to interact with it. Then, I would write something like this:

website ---send-command-to---> (php running on machine) ---send-command-to---> (VB script) ---> control game.

I hope that makes it a little more clear what I am trying to do. I cannot give the end user VNC access for security purposes, since M$'s shoddy implementation of a multiuser environment precludes this.

As I mentioned before, the server console app is a windowed application, with buttons, scrollbars, lists, etc.

Is this feasible?

If you have complete access to this machine, you can set up terminal services to serve applications ..

You will have to create a local account for your user .. just lock down the permissions and use this to set up the Terminal Services

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000..._set_h_020.htm
    [url]I got nothing/url]

Not possible unfortunately. I have win2k pro not win2k server.

From what it seems, terminal services is not a part of 2k Pro. Bah!

If you can control the application from the command line then you could interact with it through ASP or ASP.Net by utilising WSH or similair.
    Regards, Sam. www.protecweb.co.uk
    Windows Shared and Reseller Hosting with ASP.Net, MS SQL 2008, PHP, MySQL5 and more.
    Providing quality web hosting and support since 2001.