Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blair, Bush nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

US President George W Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair, the architects of the Iraq war, are among the nominees for the 2004 Nobel Peace Prize.

http://in.rediff.com/news/2004/mar/03nobel.htm
    Chris, Developer/Programmer,
    https://www.chrisranjana.com/
    Php laravel developers, Node Python developers,
    AWS Certified | Python developers | Nodejs Developers | Devops
      0 Not allowed!

Guess they are running out of people to nominate.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
      0 Not allowed!

Old news, the noble peace prize is a joke, some other "deserving" nominees are Yasser Arafat, Adolf Hitler and Slobodan Milosevic.

As Tom Lehrer put it when Henry Kissinger was nominated in 1973, "Political satire became obsolete when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize".
      0 Not allowed!

.... I stand by my theory - dinosaurs were once smart but started doing stupid stuff; its history repeating itself! (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...5&pagenumber=2) (Obviously I'm joking, for those of you who don't get jokes).

But really... ... How is this even possible? Are humans REALLY getting less intelligent every generation? Or is it every year? Maybe every day... My god
      0 Not allowed!

Kill more people and be nominated for the Peace Prize.

Why most of the Noble Prize holders are political leaders?
      0 Not allowed!

Deposeni, I'm sorry.
    How is that funny?

and what on earth does it have to do with this thread?

Best,
    Eugene.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
      0 Not allowed!

Er let me explain:

I meant to say that any person who thinks bush deserves a Peace Prize PROVES that the human race is getting less intelligent by the day.

I haven't been feeling too hot lately, so I've been rambling on
      0 Not allowed!

Well, if you count one person or a group of people as enough to prove that the whole human race is going down the drain...

And again... how is that funny?

sorry, I'm being picky.
    I'll shutup now...

Back to the topic.

This doesn't mean that they are actually going to win. time will tell, but I can't really see either of them getting it.

Best,
    Eugene.
      0 Not allowed!

All politicians should be sent to jail.
      0 Not allowed!

timechange.com - exactly.

and websterworld - Actually, if you think about it - Bush == millions of people... He's the PRESIDENT, so he had to be elected

I'm gonna shut up and sit in the corner now
      0 Not allowed!

Bush == millions of people without a better alterntive in their opinion.

They may be wrong, they may be right.. lets not open that pandora box, ok?

Best,
    Eugene.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by websterworld
    This doesn't mean that they are actually going to win.
    Actually, a Nobel nomination isn't that big of a deal if you're a member of certain circles. There are over 100 nominees for the Peace Prize this year -- all it takes is for one member of a huge number of people who are "qualified" to make a nomination to do so. For the Peace Prize nominations can be made by:

1. Members of national assemblies and governments of states;
    2. Members of international courts;
    3. University rectors; professors of social sciences, history, philosophy, law and theology; directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes;
    4. Persons who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize;
    5. Board members of organizations who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize;
    6. Active and former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; (proposals by members of the Committee to be submitted no later than at the first meeting of the Committee after February 1) and
    7. Former advisers appointed by the Norwegian Nobel Institute.

Number one on that list means that any member of Congress might have nominated Bush, and any member of Parliament might have nominated Blair. Or either may have been nominated by one of thousands of university professors, or a director of a private "think tank" studying foreign policy (organizations which usually have their own political points of views and agendas).
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.
      0 Not allowed!

Nobody, abosolute NOBODY, deserves the Nobel Peace prize more than the U.S. military as a collective group. .

Withou the U.S. military there would have been more wars since WW2. Regional conflicts are fewer, and a WW3 has not occurred. I give 90-95% of the credit to the U.S. military, no matter who the president is at any time.

The U.S. military should get the prize every year! Nobody brings more peace.

But, I know that's not politically correct for the rest of the world to admit.
      0 Not allowed!

adorno, thats not quite right.
    By that logic, stalin should have gotten a nobel prize as well.

After all, the russians won berlin over.

I do understand however what you mean.

Best,
    Eugene.
      0 Not allowed!

adorno, thats not quite right.
    By that logic, stalin should have gotten a nobel prize as well.

After all, the russians won berlin over.

I do understand however what you mean.

Best,
    Eugene.
    Conquering and subjugating is not the same as keeping the peace.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by adorno
    Nobody, abosolute NOBODY, deserves the Nobel Peace prize more than the U.S. military as a collective group. .

Withou the U.S. military there would have been more wars since WW2. Regional conflicts are fewer, and a WW3 has not occurred. I give 90-95% of the credit to the U.S. military, no matter who the president is at any time.

The U.S. military should get the prize every year! Nobody brings more peace.

But, I know that's not politically correct for the rest of the world to admit.
    I nominate that post for the nobel prize for comedy.
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you, JayC, for the information. Either way, it must be some joke to nominate Bush and Blair for peace prize.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Artashes
    Thank you, JayC, for the information. Either way, it must be some joke to nominate Bush and Blair for peace prize.
    More of a joke then yasar arafat actually winning?
      0 Not allowed!

I hope they do win.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

--------
    The U.S. Military : Nobody brings more peace
    ---------

What a slogan! Thanks adorno. I might be able to use that somewhere!
      0 Not allowed!

More of a joke then yasar arafat actually winning?
    It's a very different situation. Arafat shared the prize in 1994 with Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin. The situation was similar to that when Henry Kissinger was awarded the prize, shared with Viet Nam's Le Duc Tho (who declined the award) in 1973 -- more an encouragement of those in a position to work for peace to do so, or to continue to do so, than a recognition of past accomplishments.

In 1973 a cease fire had been signed; the award was meant to encourage progress to the next step: a peace treaty. In 1994 the Oslo Accords had been recently completed and the award was meant to encourage the peace process by recognizing the concessions that had been made by both sides.

It seems that the Nobel Committee, in awarding the Peace Prize, feels that winners who are involved in the peace process will feel a greater responsibility to pursue a final peaceful end to the issue they're involved in; that the perceived prestige of the Prize will bring a sense of responsibility to succeed, and to concede. Of course, there's no way of knowing in advance whether any potential winner will actually be affected in that way.

In any case, these past winners were "controversial" because of some of their past actions, but at the time the awards were given they were actively involved in the peace process. That's the difference between past winners like Yasar Arafat and the nominees being discussed here.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.
      0 Not allowed!

Well I know that Its not worth much because it has already happend.

But I still think that yasar arafat being handed the award was a retarded thing to do.

Yes, the reason behind it was to promote the peace process... but look around, have things gotten any better?

look at the man who is still alive, rich, and has a nobel prize.

Nobody could see into the future, and its easy to talk now I guess... but still its very depressing... so to speak.

I'm sorry, I'm just venting...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by bagpuss
    I nominate that post for the nobel prize for comedy.
    I knew I could count on you bagpuss to chime in. I'm waiting for some other 'anti-U.S. anything' posters to join in the discussion. You know who you are.

I know perfectly well that a suggestion such as mine would never get anywhere. But, the fact remains, the U.S. military has done more for peace than any other group or individual.
      0 Not allowed!

Yep, there is nothing more peaceful than a dead man.
      0 Not allowed!

adorno: I don't see what this has to do with anti-americanism?

Some of the people that you're probably talking about happen to be american.

I can see a great deal about america that's to be admired, but just because I don't like bush, or see the humor in your statement, does that mean I'm anti-US.

I don't think I've seen many anti-US posts in here. Anti-Bush or Anti-certain issues yes, but not the sort of predjudice you're talking about.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast