where to go for a fully managed dedicated server

Hi

What is the best place to get a fully managed dedicated server, for someone who would otherwise need to hire a server admin?

I hear highly of server matrix, but do they provide such fully managed service?

this question regards only those who dont have enough experience to administer their own servers, that is why the look if for a fully managed server (including admin chores)

ServInt, or choose a Server Administration company.

I'd go with the Server Management company first, but ServInt is definitely a option as well now with their network stronger.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

servint's prices are pretty high. in my opinion, if you're willing to spend that much, go with rackspace.

why not get a server with server matrix ... then use server management plan from cheetaweb, easyservermanagement
    current and satisfied customer of softlayer.com and webnx.com

Originally posted by swijaya0101
    why not get a server with server matrix ... then
    ... learn to manage the server. Even a complete lamer (like I am) in server management can handle a ServerMatrix server with the help of their forum and on a Silver management plan.

Or by a server via those nice Canadian girls reselling and full-managing the managed.com servers for only $20 above the managed.com price...

Who are the canadian girls doing this?

Try serverplace.net, it looks good and is in GNAX's Data Center =]

when you say managed then you need to look at what is managed exactly is it fully managed or only monitoring
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

may be inetu.com helps you

Re: where to go for a fully managed dedicated server

Originally posted by sallam
    I hear highly of server matrix, but do they provide such fully managed service?
    ServerMatrix is as good as any other who claim to offer fully managed services.

If you require more than that, follow the advice given by earlier posters. Hire a server management company.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

There are very few companys that will provide 100% fully managed servers. Some questions to ask providers:

* What is your turn around time
    * What are methods of contacting? do you have aim/msn/phone/etc?
    * what exactly isent covered?

things like that
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Read very carefully what all is covered and what all is not covered.
    If you are looking for a fully managed server with proactive monitoring then expect to spend ATLEAST $499 for entry level server. Even without proactive monitoring expect to spend atleast $399 per month.
    Maker of World's BEST Browser & Web site development software.
    Shared / Reseller / Dedicated *Managed* Web hosting on Linux / Windows with 99.5% Uptime Guarantee with SLA & 90 days moneyback guarantee.
    Contact -> AIM: str1997 | ICQ: 303026849

Originally posted by fgraph
    servint's prices are pretty high. in my opinion, if you're willing to spend that much, go with rackspace.
    Rackspace is much more expensive than ServInt is for the same services. Twice as much when I last checked.

Comparing ServerMatrix to ServInt really isn't fair to either company, they are focused on different markets. In order to get the same level of management from ServerMatrix that you would get at ServInt you would need to upgrade to their Platinum Management plan. By the time you do that ServInt is a better value as their costs would be less. It's also noteworthy to point out that ServerMatirx has had a few support issues mentioned here at WHT and on their own forums.

I'm not suggesting that ServerMatrix is a poor choice for a server, I am simply saying for a fully managed server I don't think that is their strongest target market whereas ServInt has been focused for years on the fully managed server market.

ServInt prices are a good example of how we should appreciate other choices being available for us. I think their price list are just good for that.

They think they can charge 300+200setup=$500 for their p4 2.4 and you only get a tiny 200gb monthly bandwidth. If you need the standard 1000GB everyone is giving today, you'll need to pay them 800*6= $4800 little extra!

One could get the same server, with higher ram (1gb, instead of 512) 50% more disk space (120gb instead o 80) and 500% more bandwidth, all for just $85 from managed.com, and $00 setup. Unmanaged, yes, but for just $20 extra, paid for full management at the angelz.

Does anyone realy use ServInt?
    That cannot be... why not hire an army of system administration management admins, full-time, instead?

have a look at http://bitstreamhosting.com they have some good offers and they can arrange any type of management you are looking for.

they support is real good with them
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

I'm not sure where those numbers are coming from. Here is a list of current ServInt specials.

There is absolutely no comparison between ServInt and managed.com. That would be like comparing a bicycle with no wheels to a Mercedes Benz.

As you can see a P4 2.4 from ServInt is only $199 a month with no set up costs, and includes a 120 gig HD and 1 gig of DDR RAM. ServInt also does not charge monthly for a second drive and will set up RAID on a second harddrive for a one time fee. Everyone else I have looked at charges a monthly fee for a second drive.

There are a lot of people that use ServInt I can assure you of that, I'm one of them.
    Last edited by Mark_YH; 03-05-2004 at 02:49 PM.

watcher, if you don't know the link to the specials, their dedicated prices are extremely high

Their bandwidth is a little lacking for how much space you have... from a reseller standpoint I think. However, from what I understand, their fully managed solution is outstanding.

Originally posted by lnguyen
    However, from what I understand, their fully managed solution is outstanding.
    Do a search on ServInt here to get the real insight from several other customers besides watcher_tvi.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Inguyen
    watcher, if you don't know the link to the specials, their dedicated prices are extremely high
    That's what makes their specials so good. Their service and support are worth their regular fees, at the special prices they offer WHT members it's too hard to pass up....

Originally posted by net-trend
    Do a search on ServInt here to get the real insight from several other customers besides watcher_tvi.
    Yeah, I know. That's why I made that comment, overall, they seem to have a good rep here.

Originally posted by sallam
    ServInt prices are a good example of how we should appreciate other choices being available for us. I think their price list are just good for that.

They think they can charge 300+200setup=$500 for their p4 2.4 and you only get a tiny 200gb monthly bandwidth. If you need the standard 1000GB everyone is giving today, you'll need to pay them 800*6= $4800 little extra!

One could get the same server, with higher ram (1gb, instead of 512) 50% more disk space (120gb instead o 80) and 500% more bandwidth, all for just $85 from managed.com, and $00 setup. Unmanaged, yes, but for just $20 extra, paid for full management at the angelz.

Does anyone realy use ServInt?
    That cannot be... why not hire an army of system administration management admins, full-time, instead?
    I'm honestly shocked by that post. Servint and managed.com cannot and should not be compared. Servint is a truly managed service, where you get a knowledgeable response everytime you email them. Just because Managed.Com offers more, or any other provider offers more, doesn't mean servint is a rip off and does not have any customers. Some people are willing to pay for quality.

I'll back watcher and agree with everything he's ever said (... well, may be not everything, but almost everything). Servint is a top notch provider.

Does anyone realy use ServInt? That cannot be... why not hire an army of system administration management admins, full-time, instead?
    Why question if anyone really uses Servint? That question is better served for "insert host name here" that you will find most frequently floating on or near the top of the hosts down forum. Also, do you know how much the server admins are charging to totally manage a server? Not saying they're all unreasonable by any means, but add that fee to a $99 server, and you are close or above what a server goes for at Servint. Although a remote admin may be a very good option for those that want it, from what I've found, the price can vary month to month. With Servint or any other true managed provider, at least your hosting bill will be consistent every month with no surprises. I haven't had to pay a penny more over the standard server bill in over a year at Servint, and they have done a lot of work for me. So to me, it's a damn good value and makes it easy on the monthly budget.

If you used the search feature (search word "Servint" than click "Search titles only") you would see that people here really use Servint, including me, and a high majority of them are satisfied. Surprising, isn't it?

Yea, I know, I'm crazy.

Shame on me for wanting high quality dependable hosting at (what I consider) affordable and fair prices. Plenty of room to make nice profits on those servers. Also, you really have to look at the big picture whether you are hosted at Servint or wherever. Time saved from having to manage the server can be better spent in marketing, website maintenance, client support/communication, and business development. Great stable and dependable network means longer client retention, customer referrals, which means bigger profits over the long haul. Being at Servint is pretty much a stress free experience. Less stress means better overall productivity, increased motivation, and that trickles down to the real world. How much is all that worth to you and your business? That's for you to decide, but this is just how I look at and evaluate the whole situation, and how Servint benefits me.

What is the best place to get a fully managed dedicated server, for someone who would otherwise need to hire a server admin?
    Well you know my opinion

Best of luck sallam

This clearly shows that servInt services must be very good, to the extent that it has such devoted loyalists. Thanks very much for your in-depth thoughts about your experiences. And the specials link makes a huge difference from where they announce on their website pages.

Companies like ServerMatrix definitely do not provide "full management", meaning that the server is totally configured, websites set up, and all day-to-day tasks are performed. ThePlanet offer that kind of service I believe, but at a price.

There are some companies who will offer what might be best called total management. Or you can hire an admin to do the job for you -- there are a number who can be found on WHT.

As always, the thing to do is list out exactly the services you require then ask "do you do this?". Using terms like "managed", "full management" etc only leads to confusion as there is *huge* variation within the industry about what these mean in practice.
    Chris at TDMWeb.com
    Windows & Linux hosting and fully managed dedicated servers with great customer service!
    UK-based but serving the world...