Choosing a Graphics Card

Thanks for everyone's help in helping me to choose a motherboard in my last thread.

Now I need help in choosing a graphics card. I've got a budget of around £100 ($183).

I found the Gainward GeForce FX PP PRO/680 TV-DVI FX5200 256Mb which seems ideal, but I can't find any reviews of the product anywhere on the net - which makes me worried!

Also, I found the Creative Labs Radeon 9600 256MB , but it's more expensive and doesn't sell as well as the other, on amazon. Any good?

Thanks again for all the help.
    Jon
    Jon

The radeon 9600 is a better card.

I have a GeForce FX5200 in my powerbook and it is reasonable, but it is definitely not a card suited to heavy gaming.
    Gone.

If you can find a 9600 XT within your budget, you'll be set!

Yeah, the ATI Radeon 9600 is far better than the GeForce FX 5200. I just bought the Gainward FX 5700 Ultra from newegg.com awhile ago, its a great card.. it only costed me $200 total including shipping & handling.

phision, in your opinion is the radeon 9600 a good card? Are there better cards that I can get for my money - although it is 256mb after all.
    Jon

Jon, do you mind if I ask you what your primary use for this computer will be?
    From your previous threads I see that you are using only top of the line stuff.
    Whether or not you are on a budget you still should consider whether you really need the full functionality of all these components.
    A state of the art video card is very often overkill for what the average user will actually need.

Of the 2 cards ATI and GEforce which gives more bang for the buck? when buying used.

Originally posted by blue27
    Jon, do you mind if I ask you what your primary use for this computer will be?
    From your previous threads I see that you are using only top of the line stuff.
    Whether or not you are on a budget you still should consider whether you really need the full functionality of all these components.
    A state of the art video card is very often overkill for what the average user will actually need.
    With my new computer I will be doing a lot of video-editing, that's why I choose a fast processor and lots of memory.

What I want from the graphics card is very good dvd playback, and to be faster than most others when playing games.

I want a good, not great, graphics card, but I'm bewildered by all the advice available. Some say get 128mb instead of 256mb, some say this card's better than that card, it's just making my head hurt!

What do you recommend!?
    Jon

I would concur with Phision on the radeon 9600. It's what I have used for the last year.

i'm a graphics card junkie and both cards you mentioned are BAD
    seriously, $183 US will get you a much better card.

and DO NOT get 256mb cards. they are not any faster than their 128mb counterparts, and sometimes even slower. it's just a waste of money.

your best bet would probably be a Geforce FX 5900 SE or XT. it is a very fast card and fits your budget.

a radeon 9600xt might also be good. it's slower than the 5900 in DX8 games and about the same as the 5900 in DX9 games. usually a little more expensive than the 5900, but it comes with a free half-life 2 coupon.

if you can't find those, than get a radeon 9600 PRO. it's cheap and not that bad. definetely do not get a 9600 non-pro or SE.

if you're a serious gamer, then a 9800 pro would be really nice. a lot faster than all other cards mentioned. it recently began dropping price, and in the US, you can pick one up for around $210.

I use the Radeon 9600XT - excellent.

I have the 9600XT on my computer upstairs and a 9700 PRO on this computer, you definately can't go wrong with an ATI card.

Got the 9600 XT and it's a winner...
    Go get it
    Brad Baker
    XYZulu Hosting

Don't get the 256MB version, it's slower than it's 128MB brother. Plus, you'll never fill up that amount of memory anyways.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

NVIDIA and ATI both make solid cards and supporting drivers ...

Also, 128MB is better sometimes then 256MB because you'll probably get better quality memory in the 128MB card.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Thanks for everyone's help.

I went with badbaker, vigor, and timechange's advice and bought the Radeon 9600XT - it looks great!

Regarding the free half life 2 voucher, how does it work?
    Do I have to send it off, phone them up or enter it online. Is the offer available in the UK?

Thanks again.
    Jon