need some advice based on these parameters

I am a noob at this and I am looking to set up a web site. It's for a hobby of mine, but i'll be in charge of it. In addition to the site, I need to have a message board, blogging per user,photos per user, email per user, chat. Is there a hoster who gives me all that or do I get these different functionalities with different people (infopop,ezboard,vbulletin...)?

thx

You should be able to get all of this with one host.
    You would need to manually set up the email addresses for each user.
    Message boards, forums, blogs, are pretty standard with hosting packages these days. Cpanel/WHM in my opinion is the most user friendly but I don't have any recent experience with other CPs.
    Chat may be a grey area as chat scripts tend to be very system intensive.

would you happen to be able to suggest a few hosters i could look into?

www.yupapa.com has all you need. reliable and definitely a unique service

also www.unitedhosting.co.uk is very reliable.
    Gone.

Can't argue with those recommendations.
    Yupapa may have a bit of an excentric approach, but I haven't seen many problems over the years with the product.

United is also a very good choice. A simple search on this forum will confirm that.

I've heards good things about Pair among others... Not the cheapest though...

I also agree that United is a good choice...

looked at both yuppa and united. yuppa seems very confusing at best. but united seemed very clear and organized. i could see that they offered certain php tools that i am looking at. so far they seem the best that i have run into.

some questions regarding united, isn't it a problem that they are uk based? secondly, i am a .net programmer. don't know any php. will that hurt me if i use a hoster that works with php only. or has no bearing what so ever.

i also looked at 1and1.com, and they showed that they offered the 1&1 chat and forums, but they didn't disclose what other types they might offer.

United servers are in Texas so there is no problem that the company is UK based.
    Matt and his crew will help you I'm sure with any forums/chat issues you may have.

thanks for the confirmation about united. looked at a company called catalyst2, and they seemed only ok. i did get into the yuppa demo and saw the bb. doesn't seem as a complete offering as united. just for the sake of completeness, would you have a 3rd recommendation for me to take a look at. although i have to admit, united seems really good at this point.

Smile

Originally posted by techiecool
    looked at both yuppa and united. yuppa seems very confusing at best.
    ... BTW is YuPaPa

some questions regarding united, isn't it a problem that they are uk based? secondly, i am a .net programmer. don't know any php. will that hurt me if i use a hoster that works with php only. or has no bearing what so ever.
    Windoz is your best choice if you are planning to program for your site~

just for the sake of completeness, would you have a 3rd recommendation for me to take a look at. although i have to admit, united seems really good at this point.
    Third recommendation, I would recommend enhancedhost.com / aussiehosts.com ... Look @ the active support forum~ http://www.aussieforum.com/ ...
    You'll be amazed at the level of support on offer here!
    Last edited by YUPAPA; 03-03-2004 at 09:09 PM.

my apologies at the misspelling of YuPaPa. i have played with linux in the past, i set up a linux firewall/router through iptables. my professional job is dba/.net programmer. and if the addition of the various components don't require a ton of programming then i don't have a preference over the two. your site seemed really interesting, but i just wasn't sure it offered everything i was looking for. you maybe be able to clarify that.

as for enhancedhost.com / aussiehosts.com, they seemed really good.

man, this seems to be the equivalent to the eternal question "How long is a piece of string?". i found quite an interesting hoster Rochen. i guess i'll research them a bit as well.

Smile

your site seemed really interesting, but i just wasn't sure it offered everything i was looking for. you maybe be able to clarify that.
    No Sorry~ I don't offer the things you need. You better go with other hosts for your site

But I am sure you will find a good home according to the hosts you are picking now...
    Last edited by YUPAPA; 03-03-2004 at 10:24 PM.

sorry for the next noob question, but...

i went to hotscripts.com, and saw all the choices for various php apps. can you normally install whatever app you deem necessary on your hosting account. or is it whatever the script library contains at your hoster?

so far i have on the list: unitedhosting,rochen,hostnexus, and cirtexhosting. it seems that united and cirtex are a bit cheaper. rochen and hostnexus look real good as well. i'd have to say cirtex is close to being eliminated.

If you want windows, you could always go with www.oneandone.com

Their european service is great (as long as you don't register your domain through them) and so I would think their newly launched US service would be too. My free promo account I have there has only been down once for 10mins (since Jan)
    Gone.

Software wise you might want to look for a content management solution like php-nuke, there are a couple of other free ones out there as well.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

could someone clarify the difference in using a linux or windows based hosting in terms of being able to add the various functionalities to a site (ie, bb/chat/blog). it seems as though the php based solutions are more readily abundant. thx.

You will have not problems adding full functionality to your site with php/linux.
    You should always confirm with your host before installing a new script to see if they allow the script. Some of them are not secure in a shared environment.

thanks Michael. sorry, i must be driving everyone insane with these moronic questions. but here's another...i've been running searches on WHT for the last two days. never thought that this would require some much due diligence. i am down to rochen, united,hostnexus,and liquidweb. they all seem fairly good (i think). rochen and liquidweb both use fantastico, united uses ensim (powertools), and hostnexus uses plesk. should this make any difference. prices wise i think they are all within a close enough ballpark that it shouldn't really impact my decision. thanks, Joe.

There are no moronic questions techie. You are doing yourself a favor by researching well before making a decision.
    The only host of your group that I have direct personal experience with is United.
    Rochen has been around and active on the forum for a long time and I haven't heard negative reports about them.
    Cpanel/Fantastico is very user friendly but it doesn't offer and real advantages over ensim. You should consider Cpanel/Fantastico if you don't have any experience install php based programs. I don't have any experience with plesk so I will leave that one for others.

Plesk is a *real* control panel. If your admins run plesk, it shows they know what they're doing (well, if the box stays up)

You have to know how to admin a server to use plesk as an administrator, as it doesnt do it all for you.

It's a little sparse for the end user, but it gets the job done nicely and is the most stable of the main 3 (ensim in close second, cpanel third by a long way)
    Gone.

Heh wouldnt a REAL "control" panel be one that does everything for you? heh. But any control panel does not do everything for you, and just because one does more then another doesnt make it any more "real" then the others, companys regardless of what they use should have techs who know what their doing in a console environment.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST