Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

* EV1 Adds colocation :)

Regards,
    Ryan

Happen to see the bandiwdth prices for colo anywhere?

There colocation i beleive you buy the rack for $500/month + $1000 setup and they give you the switch and KVM and then you have to purchase the servers from them. Or for 5 orders only $5500/month + $2000/setup gets you 20 Dell Dual Xeon's in a rack by themselves. Not exactly what i call Colocation. Just my thoughts.
    Webby Enterprises LLC - AS63031
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Sunny Central Florida
    In the business since 1997!
    http://www.webbytech.net

I said they would
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

It's not colocation.

It's having a private rack of EV1 equipment, you can't colocate your equipment...therefore it's not colocation.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

I think EV1's new deals are a joke. $149 for a Celeron and $500/month + $1000/setup for a rack just to put the servers you pay EV1 for in the same spot. I hope to god atleast that for that money the bandwidth between the servers on your "private switch" is free.
    Webby Enterprises LLC - AS63031
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Sunny Central Florida
    In the business since 1997!
    http://www.webbytech.net

Gotta do something to pay SCO's legal fees <tongue firmly in cheek>
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

yeah what a sham.
    James Cornman
    365 Data Centers - AS19151/AS29838
    Colocation • Network Connectivity • Managed Infrastructure Services

Let's analyze this package:

20 Server Rack

20 Servers in one place, better for support..less mistakes by EV1 staff.

Baytech Remote Reboot

No longer have to rely on EV1 staff to do quick reboots..this is a life saver. I've seen places charge up to $25/month for remote reboot capabilites.

2 UC83 - RPC22-20NC with NEMA 5-20 Shared Control Unit

In English, these are 2 Baytech Power Distribution Units, with a NEMA 5-20, which is an APC PDU to combine the two Baytechs.

Private UC40- DS9 unit (controls the 2 RPC22-20NC units)

Self explanatory, controls the two PDUs

KVM over IP for all 20 servers

Minicom Smart 16 port category 5 KVM switch and Minicom Smart 8 port category 5 KVM switch (daisychained)
    Minicom Smart IP Link - Remote KVM IP Access

Category 5/PS2 cables

KVM over IP...Great feature. Basically allows you to be at console in case of loss of network on any of the boxes.

Upgraded Snapgear 575 Firewall

Basic Firewall..can provide VPN, IDS, and misc though...Decent? I think I'd rather have the firekiller though, this isn't that impressive.

3C17300 3Com managed switch (additional switch will be provided at no cost if rack is used for unmetered servers.

Your own switch...less downtime due to network issues...etc...DDoS of your neighbors won't affect you too badly having your own VLAN

You have your own network, backups etc can be done without counting bandwidth, granted with 1400GB you don't really need this..but it's still nice.

Single class C IP block (justification required). EV1 will SWIP IPs to customer.

254 IPs for your servers, something like 10-15 per IP, I think I read they will give you a second class C if needed. These IPs are SWIP'd to you, so to your customers, you own the IPs...You can also SWIP your abuse contacts...less EV1 abuse actions?
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media

Like previously mentioned -- this is NOT colo. You lease servers as well to go in here. EV1 servers. You can not bring in your own equipment, according to sales.

If you need 20 dual xeons though -- that deal of the century is an amazing price
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

Not to mention at the end of the day all that money is putting your servers on the Rackshack network.... Which for all intents and purposes is a joke to put it bluntly...

For that kind of dough you could have a nice setup on a much better network somewhere else..

EV1's network is a joke? Why do you say that?

Honestly from my experience their network is downright awesome. Their support staff can be a bit pathetic at times though.

For example one client had been essentially blocked out of the EV1 network (I guess because someone at that hotspot had the MyDOOM virus or something). I submitted a TT and they wouldn't do anything because I refused to give them root access. Some of their support team are like trained monkeys, I swear.

Do you agree RS is a budget provider?

Yes, but for reasons other than their network. See my comment in reguards to "trained monkeys." I would consider their network superior to most other DCs though.

hahaa trained Monkees! They must have escaped from SM and made their way down to RS! I hear they are on a bus as we speak heading to Long Island!

I think, with the most recent move, and price increases, and the fact they do not providde management..I'd be willing to move EV1 out of the budget provider catagory..let's think about it :

* Dell Servers with DRAC cards. (A+)
    * Solid network with at minimum 8 providers, and 13 gigEs. 7+ Juniper m20s in DC2. (A+)
    * Raised flooring, etc.
    * KVM over IP available, VLANs available, willing to SWIP /24s.

Now...they still need to work on their end-user support, but I'd be willing to say their network and management are top notch as well. Raise salaries a bit, and you are again in the fight...

Keep in mind, they might be the same, or close to the same price as others still, but they do not provide management, nor claim to (which is the important part)

They are pushing the limits of budget
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media

Proper rack servers, or white boxes?

*edit: yes, Dell boxes by the look of the FAQ.
    Paul Civati
    Rack Sense Ltd UK Managed Services Provider
    Views expressed are my own and not those of the company.

Originally posted by Paul-Xensia
    Proper rack servers, or white boxes?
    White boxes from the looks of things. I think rackmounts would be much better however, whilst it may save them space and money in the long run, they have a limit on how many servers they can run with their current power system (I think the original DC reched its limit and the local power grid could not supply anymore power).

Bit of a shame they aint racks although I wont be using EV1 ever again anyway hehe
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

Your forgetting the most important thing. You shell out all the money on monthly fees and setup fees but the equipment isn't yours.

What they are giving you is a private network period.

X-Gaming, I have no desire to own my hardware. None. I think different people with different needs will look very differently on this deal. And you are now clawing at straws to try and back up your original negative comment.

Chet

Personally I don't think the Dual Xeon prices are that good at all, I have a few dual xeons now which are running at 2GHZ and the new ones are 2.4 which is not that big of a jump seeing that the price is $100 more.

I have personally had awesome luck with EV1 and think it is well worth the cash, in the 2+ years I have been with them they have been nothing but top notch and the same goes for the network.

I dont think the deals are that great but the no setup fee kind of makes up a little for it.. I am going to give it about a month though before I get anything new so all the bugs are ironed out and hopefully the new DC will remain as reliable at DC1.

Originally posted by chet
    X-Gaming, I have no desire to own my hardware. None. I think different people with different needs will look very differently on this deal. And you are now clawing at straws to try and back up your original negative comment.

Chet
    I don't really care if you colo a commodore 64. I was simply pointing out the obvious that the equipment isn't yours... The thread started made the topic "EV1 adds co-location"

Co-location means YOUR equipment located at another location...

Originally posted by nickn
    2 UC83 - RPC22-20NC with NEMA 5-20 Shared Control Unit

In English, these are 2 Baytech Power Distribution Units, with a NEMA 5-20, which is an APC PDU to combine the two Baytechs.
    NEMA 5-20 is a 20-amp electrical outlet. Just like the 15-amp you have in your house except with an extra slot for 20-amp-only connectors (ie, backwards compatible).

I'm not sure how the word "Shared" fits into that phrase either, but whatever, I'm just commenting.

Kevin

I believe what EV1 is using this for is splitting one power drop into two..hence sharing the one drop with both strips.

The NEMA 5-20 is something like $99.00, it's a little more than a standard outlet, no?
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media

Originally posted by nickn
    The NEMA 5-20 is something like $99.00, it's a little more than a standard outlet, no?
    If it's a reference to a power strip, that makes sense. I'm just saying that NEMA 5-20 is the standard ID for the circuit plug, not the strip.

Kevin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast