Exclamation Godaddy Supports ICANN

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/Press...%2B&from%5Fapp

Nice name, Terminate_Verisign.asp. if the link doesnt work just go to www.godaddy.com and look at the top, there is a box with the link.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance

Good for Godaddy! I challenge the other big registrars to pledge money as well!

Verisign has been doing some very shady things lately.

I just signed the petition at www.recallverisign.com

sightz, that is quite amusing (veri-sign), thanks for that
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance

Originally posted by sightz
    Good for Godaddy! I challenge the other big registrars to pledge money as well!

Verisign has been doing some very shady things lately.

I just signed the petition at www.recallverisign.com
    Signed!
    Quality web hosting PullHost.com

Re: Godaddy Supports ICANN

Originally posted by kohashi
    https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/Press...%2B&from%5Fapp

Nice name, Terminate_Verisign.asp. if the link doesnt work just go to www.godaddy.com and look at the top, there is a box with the link.
    Thanks for posting the link Kevin.
    Excellent information!

John
    Fast PayPal Money! Buying 3 letter/character domains (com/net/org/us only

You're welcome

Question GoDaddy helping ICANN to fight off the Verisign's greed. Are we all in trouble?

From what I read on GoDaddy, Verisign is suing ICANN for doing their job. GoDaddy has stated that they're giving ICANN $100,000 to help pay for their legal expenses and started a petition on their site to fight VeriSign.

ICANN is being sued because of shutting down the illegal services and activities of VeriSign, like SiteFinder which hijacked every typographical error that was not a registered domain name which sent that person to a paid advertising page owned by VeriSign, wait listing service which eliminated the competitive market for expiring domain names which gave them exclusive control over expiring names to the Registry, and their deceptive advertising which sent false and misleading domain name renewal notices.

How scary is it if VeriSign wins and destroys ICANN? Was the above stated service and activities the worse they could do?

Here's the link to this press release on Godaddy:

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/Press...2B&from%5Fapp=
    Last edited by HostQuest; 03-04-2004 at 02:26 AM.

Fixed the wrappy problem with that url - made the screen all horizontally scrolly
    <edit> or not... looks like you edited too </edit>

As far as me, I'd rather have opensrs handle the root gtld's, but at this point I'll root for anyone *but* verisign.
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002

At least Godaddy can do some good things sometimes. I credit them for this.
    He who hates correction will die. --Proverbs 15:10
    Jeffrey's Cute Blog | My stockphotos and illustrations

if i were rich, id double that amount

I signed the petition.

My opinion is that TLD's SHOULD NOT be controlled by a COMMERCIAL enterprise, but by a non-profit group.

i actually think that it's a good thing that it's controlled commercially. if you think about it from an economics perspective, the competition has driven down prices significantly and, so long as there is a price floor at $6 enforced by ICANN (as stated on godaddy's website), it really shouldn't matter. In fact this intense competiton has driven some companies to sell at a loss the first year (at less than $6), in hopes that we'll renew with them at a greater price in the years to follow.

Originally posted by fgraph
    i actually think that it's a good thing that it's controlled commercially.
    I think you're mixing registrar and registry here. The registry is a monopoly and it therefore is not such a good idea the have it controled commercially. Registry price hasn't changed in years and what they'll be charging for the future WLS is just ridicule (you're paying four times the price of a domain name, to be put into a list for when that name becomes available Where's the logic in that?)

The registrars have lowered pricing, have a lot of competition and will even work below cost...

icann UN

ICANN should be part of the U.N. like FAO or other entities.
    It would allow other countries to have a say in the way internet works.

Registries can be run by corporations as long as they do not abuse their power.

And how to guarantee that there will not be abuse of power?
    If you leave absolute free market logic, you get private monopoly. It is a part of human kind it seems. there needs to be some democratic supervision thru legitimate rules (laws). UN, even very imperfect is the place where internet domain regulation/rules should happen, at least for the international part of the game.
    I don't trust monopolies.

I had an other think about this and have to conclude that some registries run a "must-have" TLD and others don't.

The ones that aren't "must have" operate in a competitive market. I'm talking about new gTLD's with extensions like .biz and .info. If .biz would use the same policies as Verisign, most .biz owners would have opted for an other TLD.

Some TLD's however are "must-have". These include all the old gTLDs (.com, .net and .org) and all ccTLDs (for local usage). Registries running these TLD's have almost no competition from the other TLD's and are therefore a monopoly. Giving a commercial company a monopoly is always a bad idea which might end up with things like what we see Verisign doing right now.

I agree.

i signed in hope that domains do not cost as much as in the past where it costs 35USD/year for .com .net .org all should sign the pettition to keep internet free from profiteers

my 2 cts worth

for their bad action of banning countries and thus blocking legitimate customers (they don't inform or advise their customers in the countries that they ban) to access their godaddy accounts, godaddy should also be sued for breach of contract or something similar. godaddy has the gall to sue some companies but they are shamefully the same because of their very bad treatment to customers in countries that they block for alleged credit card fraud. they should also be sued for a lot of damages and woes they have caused their legitimate customers in countries they banned.

Keep signing the petition!

I just heard about it and signed it.