Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solidhosts.net (Web Hosting, not Ded. Server)

I was looking at my options for a new host, as I will need to find one before the end of the month, and I was thinking about going with solidhosts.net (I really need the BW).

I did a search on the board and lots of people are posting negative stuff about them, even though no one apparently is hosting anything with them. I would like to have feedback from people who actually use that company, if possible. I was going to get a Web Hosting plan from them, not a Ded. Server.

Thanx guys in advance!

They're too new to actually have anyone actually post a review on them. They only have been around for less than a month and their site was only opened even more recent than that.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=242931
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

Yes, I checked out that thread...I knew they are new but was hoping at least someone on the board would have a website hosted by that company so I could get a credible review...

Will, you can't get a credible review with less than a month's experience.
    Can I ask why you are set on this host when there are dozens of established hosts out there will great reputations?

Maybe he wants to test the waters? All of those established hosts with great reputations had to start out somewhere also. Always keep that in mind and do not put down or put out the new little guy.

Because they have good prices and high BW. There are lots of hosts with good reputation but their prices are usually very high. I can already have 1GB space/ 60 GB space for $10/ mo. with a good european host, I was looking for a good host in the US with high BW (more or around 100 GB if possible) and affordable prices (clearly not $50/ mo.). If I can't find one, I will just have to go with the european host.

Originally posted by t c
    All of those established hosts with great reputations had to start out somewhere also. Always keep that in mind and do not put down or put out the new little guy.
    Thanx, that's also my point...every one is bashing them before they could even try.

TC, everyone has to start somewhere, but most sites that have lasted don't start out with accusations of site ripping and overselling.
    Will, if you are looking for cheap you will have no problem finding it. Just make sure you have a long list because you will need to refer to it often.

Originally posted by Will Bailey
    There are lots of hosts with good reputation but their prices are usually very high.
    There *is* a reason for that.

if you are really willing to test them, then why don't you just host a small site with thwm first and host your more important ones with them when you are satisfied.. just an idea
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Originally posted by blue27
    Will, if you are looking for cheap you will have no problem finding it. Just make sure you have a long list because you will need to refer to it often.
    Do you mean I will have to change host every two months? I'm not necessarily looking for 200 GB BW for $10/ mo. but when I see some prices (like $30/ mo. for 50 GB BW), I'm thinking "underselling", not overselling.
    If that's impossible to find a good BW for an affordable price (like everyone seems to believe), I will just have to go with the european host, as I already said. It doesn't hurt to search and ask questions though.

Originally posted by Coach
    There *is* a reason for that.
    Well, I've been with the same host for three years. Infomaniak.ch is very reputable and well known in Europe. They're good and reliable and their prices are sometimes 50% less expensive than what I've found on this board as "reputable" hosts. You don't have to pay a fortune to get very good service.

Will, industry standard for a GB of bandwidth usually falls around $0.90 to $2.25 (in some cases, a little higher/lower, but not by much). If you want a good rule of thumb so that you're not back here in two months is to stick with a hosting plan that's very close to that range. Otherwise, we'll see you in a couple months, just be ready for the ol' tried and true "We tolja so" speech...
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Hey, i have a Business Reseller Package at http://www.solidhosts.net and so far everything is going great. Most of all I am really impressed with the online support and the owner, being that he will actualy find the time to talk to you if you have any troubles concering the hosting. On top of that
    the servers are very fast and there is minimul downtime if any at all.
    Last edited by hostfreak; 03-03-2004 at 01:51 PM.

How long have you been with them and how much traffic does your account generate hostfreak?

I've been with them for a month. So far I have only used up 70 to 90 gb.

Well, I've been with the same host for three years. Infomaniak.ch is very reputable and well known in Europe. They're good and reliable and their prices are sometimes 50% less expensive than what I've found on this board as "reputable" hosts. You don't have to pay a fortune to get very good service.
    Well, let's just put it this way. Their servers are located at GNAX. The cheapest GNAX reseller I could find is SolidRack. For 1000 GB of transfer (500 in and 500 out), you pay at least $160 each month (including cPanel).

Now, on the SolidHost site, they offer dedicated servers for 1000 GB in and 1000 out (only count one way though because servers don't use as much in and out) for $269 a month.

Now, they're charging *way* below that for shared accounts. That means that if people actually used that amount of transfer that they are allocated, then SH isn't able to pay their server bills and they actually lose money.

Overselling by a long shot.

I'm not talking about ded. servers as I mentioned in my thread's title, but only web hosting.

Currently I pay $150 a year for 40 GB/mo. with Infomaniak. And they are certainly not overselling. Nexlink.ch offers 60 GB/ mo. for a little less (130$ a year). They are not overselling either. Both of them are very reputable in Europe. You can actually use the GBs you're allocated.

The normal price @ solidhosts.com would be $250 per year for 200 GB/mo. The only question is: can u actually use the GBs you're allocated? Well, hostfreak has been able to use up to 90 GB apparently and he seems happy with them, but he is on a reseller plan. Before flaming them, I would rather wait a little while and see how everything goes...

You seem to have your mind made up.
    My advice is to use a well established host.
    That doesn't seem to be the path you want to take. Good luck. I hope everything works out well for you.

PS. Why do you need a new host when the ones you are using in Europe are so cheap and reliable?

I'm not talking about ded. servers as I mentioned in my thread's title, but only web hosting.

Currently I pay $150 a year for 40 GB/mo. with Infomaniak. And they are certainly not overselling. Nexlink.ch offers 60 GB/ mo. for a little less (130$ a year). They are not overselling either. Both of them are very reputable in Europe. You can actually use the GBs you're allocated.

The normal price @ solidhosts.com would be $250 per year for 200 GB/mo. The only question is: can u actually use the GBs you're allocated? Well, hostfreak has been able to use up to 90 GB apparently and he seems happy with them, but he is on a reseller plan. Before flaming them, I would rather wait a little while and see how everything goes...
    Because they are new. They don't have many clients on the server and if several people get on the box that are actually consuming the transfer that they are paying for, it will severely affect the performance of the server. Crashes, slow downs, etc.

Of course one person using a lot of resources isn't going to be affected, but when many people do it, things go bad. When the profit margin doesn't exist or is barely there, the host can't afford a new server to move clients to because their business plan doesn't give them enough money and they are relying on their clients not using their allocated resources to make a profit.

I think you're comparing apples to oranges though with a start-up in the US versus an established provider like NexLink from Switzerland.

The thing is I don't have my mind made up. The only thing I'm saying is: maybe give them the benefit of the doubt and see how they really act.

I don't get why you guys are so aggressive as soon as we think different.

As I said in several posts, I'm looking for a new host because I need more BW. The european hosts I know are reliable and apparently cheaper than the prices I've found so far but it doesn't mean they're the best out there. That's why I'm looking for new hosts. I didn't really know the prices and hosts in the US (except IPW) so that's why I registered here. I didn't know there was so much negativity and animosity.

Originally posted by Coach
    I think you're comparing apples to oranges though with a start-up in the US versus an established provider like NexLink from Switzerland.
    I am not comparing Solidhosts to Nexlink, I was just talking about Nexlink because I happen to know that host, that's why I was mentioning it (more as a general example than a comparison).
    Last edited by Will Bailey; 03-03-2004 at 04:06 PM.

I don't know where you see the animosity.
    Think of it as reality. People come here for opinions. There are people here with many years of experience who offer opinions, based on past history.
    If you think that is animosity then like I said, I wish you well.

It's not negativity and animousity. blue27 and I have seen a lot of these guys come and go. blue27 is with a host that has been around for quite some time and there are many hosts that he and others could recommend to you. However, telling someone to go with a host that is offering something way below industry standard who has been around for less than a month would not be the smart thing to do and you would be hard pressed to find anyone here at WHT that has an established presence with their host that could recommend someone like you are looking at.

Especially when we have a good idea of how much that he is paying a month for his server and are able to compare it to the pricing on his site. The numbers just don't add up to a profitable company. When the money is gone, so is the company and your site/data.

It's just as simple as that. I have nothing against SolidHost. However, as a business owner of over three years, I can say that what is being offered there is simply not possible without major overselling, which will either lead to going out of business or major server performance issues. Either way, not good for the clients.

I find it funny how it's 'bad' to use new hosts.

How many long-standing hosting companies have folded? (I don't know)

Quite simply, if your site is your life, then by all means, go with an established expensive host, but if you can afford some downtime, and don't mind transferring hosts every now and then, give the new guys a go.

Photon, who's to say that a new host doesn't quickly become reputable for their superior uptime? Just because they're new doesn't mean they will have downtime. Of course that would seem unlikely but still, it could happen.

Will, if you're not understanding what these people here are trying to say is it's uncommon for new hosts to offer outstanding specs for little prices without overselling and taking on more than they can handle, which results in the host bellying up. You are then SOL and need to find a new host.

Just if you do indeed go with a new host (ie: SolidHost), ask them personal questions and see what kind of results you recieve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast