Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tabbed browsing..

which browser(s) will enable me to browse tabbed?

Or just plain ol' Mozilla 1.6
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Opera

Great browser.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

I will evaluate all suggestions.

thanks

I personally use FireFox .8. I know not a lot of people want to switch from their "normal" computer usage. If you enjoy IE I suggest "NetCaptor" or some other users have suggested "MyIE2". Both are a shell to cover IE 6.0 with a few extra features.
    Don't look for a way out.

I still don't see the point in tabbed browsing. WIndows XP groups my IE windows together and does the same thing.

Rich2k for one thing it saves on RAM.
    If you open up 50+ IE windows your computer is probably going to slow down a bit.

I'm not saying that if you open up 100+ tabs it will still be as fast with firefox, but its better.

IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

Originally posted by Rich2k
    I still don't see the point in tabbed browsing. WIndows XP groups my IE windows together and does the same thing.
    When XP groups them, you have to select the group for the menu to pop-up and select the specific IE Window. With tabbing, it's like clicking on a link under the address bar, it makes comparing notes and pages easier. As well as doing multipl stuff faster. Ie. searching on google and reading posts on WHT.

I prefer the tabbing for when I am on a Mac. Must easier!

its_just_me your only new here so we will forgive you this time, however we try NOT to bring up the subject of browsers. We have a certain member that, once he sees a thread on browsers he will start telling us how good "MYIE" is. I think he is the only one that uses it or at least the only one silly enough to admit using it.

As for TABs there great.

As for Opera which I use and love, I do have a slight hicc-up and was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. Sometimes after closing Opera it is still loaded in memory and I have to go crtl+DEl+alt and close it. any ideas.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Originally posted by TheDoctor

We have a certain member that, once he sees a thread on browsers he will start telling us how good "MYIE" is...
    I wonder who are you talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!

But who needs browsers anyway, this are such bad times!!! havn't you heard!!!! the net is closing!!!!!

*note heavy sarcasm*
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.

KDE groups windows in a very same way, but still tabbed browsing has some more benefits then just keeping all windows in a same place. You can configure tabbed browsing in many different ways, and this is how I use mine in firefox .8 .

When I hit WHT, I might want to click on 3 topics, if I middle-click on them they will load in 3 tabs, so i can quickly jump between them. Very usefull with google searches too. Each tab has "Loading ..." indicator, so for slow loading links, I do not have to sit and wait, and still I will know the moment the page is loaded.

As a web developer I often work with projects that involve looking at 4 or more pages (site itself, admin interface, phpmyadmin, test site ... ). With tabbed browser I can easly bookmark this "group of tabs" and then later reopen all those pages with single click. If I work on two projects simultaniously I would have 2 browser windows, each holding more tabs related on one project.

Quick serach: I have this small search box by the address bar which I can use to search one of many search engines. So if I type in there ob_start, a new tab will open showing php.net/ob_start

Address bar. When i type in url and hit ctrl+enter the link will open in a new tab, so I can keep looking at the original page, while the new link is loading.

Context manu in a frame allows to open it in a new window, or new tab.

Premissions can be set up for each tab (allow images, java srcipt. plugins ....).

Auto-reload tab feature reloads tab every specified interval.

To sum it up, tabbed browsing has many more benefits then just grouping windows and saving you one click and mouse move. If you give it a chance you just might find it very very usefull.

Safari

the tabs on the bottom of IE do the same thing, and with a gig of ram, who cares about resources?
    Bayouspace Hosting
    Reliable, Full Featured cPanel Shared Hosting, with REAL 24/7 SUPPORT
    Established 11/2009, WHT member since 2003
    http://www.bayouspace.com

Originally posted by pixetech
    the tabs on the bottom of IE do the same thing, and with a gig of ram, who cares about resources?
    You must live in a world where RAM is free. Try not to focus on yourself, think of the person next to you on the street, do they have a computer?

If they do, how much RAM do you think they have?
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

Galeon

Actually come to think of it, EVERY browser except IE has tabbed browsing.

I still don't see the point in tabbed browsers even after all your comments.

BTW IE only loads up as a new process if you run it from the icon. If you use CTRL->N it loads up a new window under the same process (the only disadvantage with that is if IE crashes it takes down the other IE windows under the same process, but windows under a different process stay open usually).

It always makes me laugh that you see Lindows (and others) giving one of their biggest features as 'includes tabbed browsing'. Seeing as 95% of the browsing public still use IE, either users couldn't care less or don't see it as important!

Seeing as 95% of the browsing public still use IE, either users couldn't care less or don't see it as important!
    Flawed assumption. First off, some browsers still show up as IE but have been extended to include tabbed browsing. IE: avantbrowser, which I use.

Second off, you're assuming those 95% of the world have seen tabbed browsing and actually know what it is. I doubt even a small portion of them have.

On a related note -- anyone use tabbed instant messaging? I never got the point of that, really, although I didn't like tabbed browsing until I forced myself to use a tabbed browser for a few days -- now I can't live without it.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

I felt the same as Rich, until I actually got FireFox and got used to it. I now cant live without my tabs! Having domain CPs open, reseller CPs open, and WHT, as well as perhaps other windows all at the same time on the same screen is great! Besides... I love firefox, it's just so much... better. I can't explain it.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

This is what is good about tabbed browsing. I wasn't a big fan of it until I switched to FireFox. Now I normally keep them in tabs but I sometimes will open in a new window.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tab.jpg  
    Don't look for a way out.

I use firefox a lot too but still don't use tabs, let windows xp's task bar to that for me.

Also you can usually tell Avant browser from IE as the Avant browser usually blanks the referrer to their website address. Mind you it's very easy to create a new skin for IE, just get a copy of Visual Studio.net and play!

Actually it's not necessarily flawed. The arguement of lots of people advertising... use this browser, it has tabbed browsing (such as Lindows.com's site) well most people will simply say... so what!

where is thedude?
    Member Since 2003.

Originally posted by anlene
    where is thedude?

"should be here soon!!!!!!!!!

use MyIE2!!!!!!!!!!

"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast