100 Square Ft Cage

Can somebody out there tell me how many racks can fit in a 100 square foot cage? I'm hearing between 6-8 but I was wondering if anybody knew exact.
    Warpline Hosting: Budget SSD Web Hosting, Reseller hosting, VPS Hosting.
    Bitcoin, PerfectMoney, and PayPal accepted.

depends, mostly on how good the cooling is and the policy of the datacenter.

Internap/Equinix will only let you fit 5-6 cabinets (not sure about racks) on 100 Sq Ft cage. CW, on the other hand, will try to fit 4 racks in 56 Sq. Ft cage (looks messy).
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

thats because cw prefers to charge per rack, even with cages. with that said, i looked at one of their places and it looked neat. merrill lynch's cage was probably the neatest custom space setup i have ever seen, though they are wasting a ton of space and the rackmounts on shelves look silly.

5 full length cabs is about right, depending on how much access room you need and the way you were caged (ie how much of the caging slides to the side).

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

In a 10x10, most datacenters will provision eight racks/cabinets.

The people at Switch and Data sent me a setup with 8 racks in a 10' x 10' cage, didn't leave much room for anything else, and if you REALLY wanted to you could probably fit another in.

I honestly don't see many problems with 8 in a cage like that...
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Depends if you are using open racks or enclosed cabinets, since the enclosed cabinets can be much wider and deeper than the open racks.

-Steven
    https://www.ihnetworks.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Tata in One Wilshire, Los Angeles! Enterprise Datacenters around the world, including Amsterdam, Singapore, London, and the United States.
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

I dont know how you would get 5 cabinets in a 10x10. Most cabinets I have looked at are 24" wide. You may be thinking a 19" cabinet times 5 leaves you some space.

Most 19" racks are 21.5 wide. We have put 10 in a cage but I would not recommend it. In both instances the customer requested that one be removed.

You can do a Visio diagram that will show you can do it no problem. Just ask for the physical dimensions of the cabinets and try to plot it out. It shouldnt take more than 30 minutes to do. The other way is to use tape on the floor to outline a 10x10 space, then cut out cardboard in the dimensions of the racks or cabinets. When a customer asks what is the absolute most you can get in I tell them to try use the cutouts and tell me the max you would want in.

I agree that 8 racks should be the limit on a cage, but 10 is possible. Remember, even though cabs are 24" wide you still have to have room to get around. 4 is the max on a 10x10 for cabinets. The doors also need at least 2 feet to open completely.

Paul VanMeter

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    The people at Switch and Data sent me a setup with 8 racks in a 10' x 10' cage, didn't leave much room for anything else
    That's exactly the problem, IMHO. When touring CW at 34 Exchange, I can easily grab/pull a power cable of several server inside the cage, press reset button on some servers, at almost on all cages. There is not much room from the cage wall to the racks! Now, I am a very picky person. If I see something like this even possible to happen on any of my equipments/servers, I will already have disquailified the data center. Why having all these security measures (security guard, bimetrics scanners, etc) when once you are inside, one can still do malicious thing to your equipments/servers even if you have your own cage? Isnt' the idea of a private cage is to put your servers/equipments in a more secure environment in an already secure datacenter?

Equinix only charges by cabinets, even though you are getting your own cage. And they give at least two-three feet of clearance from the wall of the cage to the cabinet. Again, you are not paying for those space, you just pay for the cabinets.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

I probably should have been more clear on what would be going in there, my apologizes. It would actually be 19" cabinets. Thank you guys for all of your posts

6 - 8 is a good number depending on the depth.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

19" is the rail width, the outside of the cabinet is usually 24". Even 19" relay racks are around 21" outside to outside.

Most people just think 19" would be 19" wide.

Originally posted by pvanmeter
    I dont know how you would get 5 cabinets in a 10x10. Most cabinets I have looked at are 24" wide. You may be thinking a 19" cabinet times 5 leaves you some space.

Most 19" racks are 21.5 wide. We have put 10 in a cage but I would not recommend it. In both instances the customer requested that one be removed.
    I've never seen a 19'' cabinet less than 24'' wide

How many you'd get in a 10*10 cage depends on the depth of your rack and the room you need to manouver things like crash-carts etc

24'' *36'' (600*900) is a "usual" size, in order to be able to open the doors you need 24'' clearnace front and rear, so unless you go for short racks, you get FIVE in a 10*10 cage, 4 if you need to walk all te way around

now in a 12*12 cage, fitting 2 rows of 5 is straight fwd ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

How much is a standard 10X10 cage costing theses days per the SF?

Thanks, Kyle Leissner

Depends on the location/dc you get it at. The pricing I got was $20/square foot, minimum of 100 square feet.

Interquad,

In what Data Center? Also, do you mean 20/SF with or without power?

Thanks, Kyle

Can't really measure power per sq. ft., so I'm guessing without power. Quote I got from Switch and Data in Chicago was $25 per sq. ft. and $10 per amp.

Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

That's in the XO DC. $20/square foot, minimum of 100 square feet, includes 20 amps power.

interquad, this is some very good pricing. Which location where you in?

KarlZimmer, I expected Switch and Data to be more than this. I guess I was wrong. Is this for a 10x10 or more?

What is the average price per SF these days? Thanks, Kyle

That's pricing for Minneapolis, MN.

Originally posted by interquad
    That's in the XO DC. $20/square foot, minimum of 100 square feet, includes 20 amps power.
    What good is 20 Amps of power in a 100 sq.ft cage?

I wondered that myself. That's hardly even good for a rack

KyleLC23, yeah, that was 10x10, I was also surprised at the pricing. But I still think I'm going with Equinix...

Karl, which Equinix are you going to? I am about to sign a cage in Equinix and wonder if you are going to be my neighbour!

When one buys a cage with a company, how do they supply the power. Like say the deal for 20AMPS, do they just give you a breaker box and you must do it yourself, or do they install a stardard outlet that you see in every home in america?

Thanks, Kyle

Going into Equinix in Chicago. As for the power, all the ones I've delt with actually wire the outlets and everything for ya, but they charge a setup fee for it, so :-)