Carrier Neutral or Not?

I am looking for a new colocation provider (in LA) and am considering some carrier neutral options such as Switch and Data. I am not familiar with the possible issues/pitfalls with using a carrier neutral colo versus traditional colo.

I worry that I'm somehow setting myself up for disaster by only having a single bandwidth provider... I don't have enough bandwidth needs / budget for multiple providers and BGP, not that I'd even know how to get that going...

Would it make more sense for me then to go with a 'traditional' colo, assuming they would have 'good' redundant connectivity?

Any other issues that you think might be good to consider would be appreciated!

Depends on the money and the knowledge. If you have to think about whether its over you're head or not, it probably is. Carrier Neutral will (more often than not) be more expensive but it opens a world of opportunity which is a good thing to consider for any legit/serious business.
    James Cornman
    365 Data Centers - AS19151/AS29838
    Colocation • Network Connectivity • Managed Infrastructure Services

If you don't want to deal with BGP and can't afford multiple providers just go with a company that does colo on their own multi-homed network. It'll be much easier for you. You can always go to a carrier neutral facility if you want, but honestly, for many, that's over-kill.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Re: Carrier Neutral or Not?

Originally posted by eprigge
    I am looking for a new colocation provider (in LA) and am considering some carrier neutral options such as Switch and Data. I am not familiar with the possible issues/pitfalls with using a carrier neutral colo versus traditional colo.

I worry that I'm somehow setting myself up for disaster by only having a single bandwidth provider... I don't have enough bandwidth needs / budget for multiple providers and BGP, not that I'd even know how to get that going...

Would it make more sense for me then to go with a 'traditional' colo, assuming they would have 'good' redundant connectivity?

Any other issues that you think might be good to consider would be appreciated!
    Going into a carrier neutral facility will generally always be better because it's a larger buffet line to select from. Some issues you will face with going carrier neutral are having your own support techs, or the alternative is to pay the techs at the DC $250/hr for remote hands. Other facilities are lights out where they aren't staffed 24/7 so it really depends on what you are looking for and the budget you have.

I agree with Karl and you should only go with a provider that is running a bgp4'd network so you don't have to worry about the network end of things.

-Steven
    https://www.ihnetworks.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Tata in One Wilshire, Los Angeles! Enterprise Datacenters around the world, including Amsterdam, Singapore, London, and the United States.
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

If you want the occassional reboot and/or some kind of staff 24/7 to feel safe about your equipment, then you should look into a carrier DC. Carrier Neutral DC is the better choice if u're looking for multiple provider. Generally, you can turn a Carrier DC into a Carrier Neutral one by ordering a Point to Point Transport circuit to a carrier Neutral DC and pick everybody up at that location, but it maybe even more OVERkill then ur needs.

Thanks for the information guys. I figure having carrier neutral + a single provider isn't too wise for me, I really do need reliable bandwidth....

Just for my edification though, will carrier neutral colos run the BGP / multihoming for you or do you generally have to do it yourself on your own router from the multiple feeds they'd cross connect to you? And if they will do it, generally what do they charge for 'multihoming' you?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I haven't seen this explained elsewhere.
    Last edited by eprigge; 03-03-2004 at 04:44 PM.

Originally posted by eprigge

Just for my edification though, will carrier neutral colos run the BGP / multihoming for you or do you generally have to do it yourself on your own router from the multiple feeds they'd cross connect to you? And if they will do it, generally what do they charge for 'multihoming' you?
    Depends on what provider you want to go with in a carrier neutral facility. There are numerous ones who will already have a bgp'd network so all they would do is give you a network drop. Or you can get a little more complex and have 2 drops coming from 2 diverse paths.

-Steven
    https://www.ihnetworks.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Tata in One Wilshire, Los Angeles! Enterprise Datacenters around the world, including Amsterdam, Singapore, London, and the United States.
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

Mfjp,

Who is considered a carrier DC? Do you mean a not carrier nuetral datacenter, and not a dc owned by a single host?

Thanks, Kyle