Security measures when running your own server

my dinix dedicated server (well vps at the moment) is going great

im picking things up quickly but i guess im still a newbie at this although im starting to remember all the unix commands from my uni days

anyhoo - here goes - a lovely cookie to anyone who can help and a poison apple to anyone who suggests i use the search option on the site or look at old thread - shame on you!!!

What kind of security does servers have in place when you get them - i.e. are the default settings strong on security or quite poor?

What does everyone else do for security - do you install certain scripts -or do you change certain settings in whm ?

Are there certain scripts or certain scripts that make security more vulnerable?

I was planning on running a small hosting company - i dont want to do it for another 7 or 8 months til i think im totally sorted with all aspects of running a hosting site - However, im being drawn into it a lot quicker because of requests from friends and forum members. Does anyone know of some good tutorial/article sites (obviously wht is great for this as well) to learn all this?

Many thanks,

Kevin
    Kevin Muldoon - Blogging, WordPress, Internet Marketing
    Rise Forums - Internet Marketing Discussion Forum

Re: Security measures when running your own server

Originally posted by fonzerelli79
    my dinix dedicated server (well vps at the moment) is going great

im picking things up quickly but i guess im still a newbie at this although im starting to remember all the unix commands from my uni days

anyhoo - here goes - a lovely cookie to anyone who can help and a poison apple to anyone who suggests i use the search option on the site or look at old thread - shame on you!!!

What kind of security does servers have in place when you get them - i.e. are the default settings strong on security or quite poor?

Kevin
    Can I have my apple now?

It's kind of like asking, "I bought this car, will it catch fire and blow up". All providers offer different levels of O/S hardening, out of the box.... or... managed services to harden the box.

Most default settings are pretty poor, but again, it depends on how the box was built. I would suggest using the SEARCH to find someone who could walk through your boxes config, with you and offer some security suggestions.

I hear "thelinuxguy" is pretty good.

Sirius

thanks sirious - though ive already looked at numerous threads on the issue here - a lot tend to talk about it but not talk about it if that makes sense - like members ask questions then come back and say no ive sorted it

ill maybe look into the linux guys posts more

Have you checked out hostinglife? They've got sections there on strengthening your box.

good link

www.hostinglife.com

start here and i think you will be ok
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

Greetings Kevin:

For Unix-based systems, this should include the following:

* Disable telnet.
    * Limit SSH access to specific IP addresses.
    * Disable direct root login.
    * Remove unnecessary packages / software.
    * Harden the kernel against synflood and basic DOS attacks.
    * Remove common user access to compilers and fetching software (wget, fetch, lynx, etc.).
    * Ensure /tmp is in its own partition with noexec, nosuid.
    * Ensure kernel and software is up to date.
    * Remove unnecessary users and groups.
    * Install chkrootkit, logwatch, tripwire.
    * Install a firewall, and port scan detector.
    * For Apache servers, install mod_security and configure for use with FrontPage, PHPMyAdmin, Site Studio, and other common applications.
    * Secure DNS Servers
    * Utilize firewall automation to mitigate brute force FTP, syn floods, mail bombs, and out-of-network trojan’d servers from impacting your servers

It is important to note that security is an ongoing venture. Even if you were to take all of the steps listed above, you would still have a regular routine of review, update, research, patch, etc.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

fantastic post dynamicnet - youve definately helped me out a lot

lol thats got to be a premade post

btw, fonzerelli79 if u got msn. id be happy to guide u threw some security.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by Boost
    www hostinglife.com

start here and i think you will be ok
    Now this is a great idea. i will also give my help to be added to this site.

I trully believe that if we help each other, will will ALL prosper together as VERY good friends just like Open Source.

Trully a great idea.

Kuddos to them

Thumbs up

Hey Guys,

here is another free help site to setup/manage servers.

hostinghacks.net