Thread: Server location

Server location

Ok. I am faced with a few issues. I am looking at moving to a dedicated server. But as i am based in the uk and i am targeting uk clients would it be best to have my servers in the Uk or the US,
    Or would any one recomend providing both? So my clients had the option of were they want there server to be located?

James

Cue the religious argument on whether the difference is noticeable.

Consider that there is increased latency (delay) for round trip time of sending packets further to the US rather than the UK.

So, if you have a web site with lots of objects, images, etc you have that delay impact on each individual TCP connection set-up and data transfer for each bit of page data.

Yes, there is a difference, yes it can notice, I suppose it depends on the quality of the US provider you use, some will be better than others.

From a server admin point of view you'll definitely notice the difference on interactive ssh sessions.

Finally, choice for customers, yes definitely a good thing I think..
    Paul Civati
    Rack Sense Ltd UK Managed Services Provider
    Views expressed are my own and not those of the company.

I would personally ignore UK hosting for now.

If most of the clients are from the UK, you may wish to look into getting a server elsewhere in europe.

Netherlands or Germany.

Pm or reply back if you would like some links.

Why not the UK?

Why not the uk?

James

I think there are several quality East Coast datacenters that would match up very well with UK providers as far as latency goes. Obviously the further west you go in the US the higher the latency will likely be, but I think there are plenty of options available to you...

Find an east coast host that has good peering with, or good connections to networks that have large european networks. NAC may be a good choice on the east coast in terms of their numerous peering agreements with European networks. However, once you start getting into the mid-west, and western US, the speed change will most likely be noticable to UK clients due to the latency.

-Josh

Basicly you will pay too much for the server you get in the UK.(way too much..its disgusting)

American servers are nicely prices..however...as Paul said. You will notice the distance in some cases.

Where as in other countrys in europe.

Youw ill get pings more or less the same to UK providers for less money.

ok now were do clients prefear there sites to be hosted. And should i list my prices in USD or GBP?

James

If you're targetting UK clients why would you list USD pricing?
    Paul Civati
    Rack Sense Ltd UK Managed Services Provider
    Views expressed are my own and not those of the company.