What has happened to hostng these days?

Seems like every host I have found has had numerous problems keeping a server online. Down every other day and I see no end to it unless I want to pay $300 a month for it.

I use about 5gig space and 75 gig bandwidth a month. My current provider offers 20gig space and 200gig bandwidth but it seems like the downtime is never going to stop.

Can anyone recommend a host with a reseller plan preferably with WHM/cPanel that offer near what they do AND more importantly can actually honor their uptime guarantee.

Right now I am paying $50 a month but I have no problem paying up to $100 a month for the same if the provider can actually keep the server online.

I was looking at e-z-hosting.com but all the talk of the feds taking their servers, and also current clients posting that they are seeing downtime with them makes me say nope, no way...

As a reseller I host websites that I have designed and some that I just host but my own clients are dropping like flys because of the downtime.
    David Smith

Hi David,

IMHO, you are simply paying too little for the server resources you require.

There are many reseller hosts on here that provide excellent uptime. However, most of them don't delve into the huge reseller packages like 20GB/200GB, and especially not for $50/month. In fact, had you emailed me requesting a quote, I would have probably referred you to a dedicated server.

Having said that, look first of all for a host that can actually show you third-party statistics of server uptime. (No, the output of the 'uptime' command on a server does not count. ) Any host that can say, "Hey, we've been up 99.9% of the time for x months" and has the third-party statistics to prove it should be stable, and I can assure you that there are many reseller hosts both on and off WHT who meet that criteria.

I doubt you'll find one who will sell you 20GB/200GB for $50/month, however.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Equivity has 10GB/120/GB for $34.95. You should check them out here in WHT. They've got this nice status page on their website showing service/uptime stats for their reseller hosting servers.

Support is quite good and they've got a lot of features which made me go for them. I have an account with them but unfortunately I might be dropping them as I ordered my own DS from SM yesterday as I couldn't resist the promo offer.

Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
    and especially not for $50/month. In fact, had you emailed me requesting a quote, I would have probably referred you to a dedicated server.

Like I said I don't mind paying more for reliablity. I did have a dedicated server with EV1 but the problem was I found out I was experieneced enough with Linux to secure a box on their network. It was hacked 3 times in 3 months along with a hard drive failure and a mother board failure. With all that trouble I thought I would try to find a reseller account and let someone else do the security on the box.

The host I am using now offers alot for the money and has better than average support but for some reason his server keeps going down too. I don't think he even knows why but I hate nothing more than downtime.
    David Smith

You might want to check out DINIX.com vps package.

You'd be better off going with one of the "old hands" at reseller hosting like united-hosting. You'll pay the premium for a quality provider, but you should see excellent uptime, month after month without fail.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Originally posted by -ReyoX-
    You might want to check out DINIX.com vps package.
    Agreed with -ReyoX-. Also check out the VPS at www.ServInt.com

Both these company's seem to have great packages, and excellent feedback from customers.

By the way -ReyoX-, answer my pm or I'm going to slice off your fingers.

Originally posted by WreckRman2
    I don't think he even knows why but I hate nothing more than downtime.
    I'm sure we all hate downtime. It's unlucky for you to have only experienced unstable servers from different hosts.

There are PLENTY more out there within your price range which I am sure will do a better job. Remember not to limit yourself to companies from within WHT, there are a lot more reputable companies out there that are able to keep their servers up for longer than 2 days at a time.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Sorry I forgot to pm you back . I'll pm you when I get home from work. I'll be on around 4ish eastern time. BTW

Dinix.com is offering
    $34.94
    6 Gb hard Drive Space
    75 Gb of premium bandwidth
    Free Cpanel/WHM
    4 GB Max RAM
    2 Ips included

Thanks guys... I looked at my logs and I'm pushing about 75 gig for this past month. With that I'd like to find someone with at least 100 gig allowed so that I don't go over.

Thos VPS accounts look nice... I might go that route.
    David Smith

I don't think it can be said enough....

*** Your Get What You Pay For***

And I am not saying that Resellers are cheap, what I am saying is that "Hosting" for most resellers is a "Secondary" revenue stream. The bulk of thier $$ and focus goes towards thier core competency, what ever that may be. As such most resellers are not willing to pay for the premium service - and why should they if its just a side line.

It all boils down to commitment - When you are willing to commit to being a full time web host then you will be willing and ready to invest, acquire and or deploy the type of infrastructure that it takes to keep your servers /clients online - All the time..

Just my 2 cents..

Re: What has happened to hostng these days?

Originally posted by WreckRman2
    Down every other day and I see no end to it unless I want to pay $300 a month for it.
    I think you answered your own question....

Not saying that $300 is the magic number of even that you will get more for paying more.

But the odds of getting more by paying for more are higher then paying less.

Originally posted by mreedy
    I don't think it can be said enough....

*** Your Get What You Pay For***
    I agree 100% and I don't mind paying more for it... but who can you recommend?
    David Smith

I definitely recommend hostgator and they do have a plan within your range.
    DStar

Thanks -ReyoX-, I think I'm gonna go with Dinix.com and their VPS300 plan. I picked up the phone at 11pm my time and called them to ask a few questions... quess what, someone answered it.

VPS sure seems like a great route to go for those people wanting total control of their websites but not really knowledgable enough to maintain their own server... like me.
    David Smith

Well about 2pm this afternoon I signed up with Dinix.com and got their VPS300 plan.

$75 a month
    13gig space
    150 gig bandwidth

Finally they billed my credit card at 10pm so I called to ask if it was setup. They said it wouldn't be setup until tomorrow afternoon.

I just hope their support tickets don't take as long to get addressed. In this day and age where almost everything is instant I don't know why some take so long to setup a new account. Hopefully once it's setup I'll never need support.
    David Smith

Originally posted by voxtreme-matt
    You'd be better off going with one of the "old hands" at reseller hosting like united-hosting. You'll pay the premium for a quality provider, but you should see excellent uptime, month after month without fail.
    Do you have a site hosted with them?
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Originally posted by MN-Robert
    Do you have a site hosted with them?
    Surprisingly Robert, no I don't. I was using them as an example of a provider that charges sensible rates for their reseller hosting.

Robert is asking probably because of this rule;

"Participants may not use discussions to recommend, praise, or belittle other products or services, or any company; without first hand experience of those products or services. This includes companies recommending other companies. Any post not meeting a moderator's criteria will be removed without notice."
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

My first message stated....

... like united-hosting
    I was using them as a example of someone who charged sensible rates (as stated above). Nowhere did I specifically recommend them.

Well after about 25 hours Dinix.com got my new VPS online. The sent me a welcome email with server information and what was really nice they included a 90 page document explains how to get started... I know most of it but it would have been great for someone who didnt.
    David Smith

Edited Wrong thread
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!