CTN1 cheapest servers, but you can trust this?

Hi,
    i have find a cheap dedicated company in Europe.
    http://www.ctn1.com/

I have try to buy a $49 server but the sales team of this company inform me that itis needed to pay 49 euro because i am from europe.
    But today 49 euro = $60.70 ( http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi ).
    After this i contact why the price is bigger 20% in european customers and i have receive this answer:
    It's special price for us customers , the us market has not the same
    size...and the volume is very very different!!!
    When a reseller US take server on CTN1 the order is for 50 servers...
    Sorry but it's a choice of my boss.

What do you think for this? You can trust a company who have diferent charge if you are from other country?
    I think it is fraud to do this. I am not sure if i can trust a company with this profill.
    Regards,
    Christos Pelekis
    icehosting

Confirm

Hello,

I confirm my email.

The Us market is different. if you're not agree this option... don't buy, the hosting market has good competitors.

you ask me about why different price,I reply immediatly, you have forget one information on your quote : Special order for US customers!

have a nice day and be cool
    CTN1.NET - Hosting Solutions
    Support 24x7 Cisco Equipement multihomed Network
    Now Fully Managed Email Server Ready!! Contact Us!
    Hosting Manager - Marc G.

you would have to pay more anyway.

the order form clearly states that you have to pay 19,6% VAT..

"All the prices on the site don't include VAT. If your country is part of the EU and you don't provide a EU VAT number (companies), you'll be charged with a VAT of 19,6% of the final price."

which means you have to pay about US$ 58.60 ...
    - Ben

Re: Confirm

Originally posted by mgctn1
    Hello,

I confirm my email.

The Us market is different. if you're not agree this option... don't buy, the hosting market has good competitors.

you ask me about why different price,I reply immediatly, you have forget one information on your quote : Special order for US customers!

have a nice day and be cool
    no offense, but i'd call that "false/misleading advertising" - you don't say anything about that on your site.
    - Ben

Originally posted by theweb2k
    you would have to pay more anyway.

the order form clearly states that you have to pay 19,6% VAT..

"All the prices on the site don't include VAT. If your country is part of the EU and you don't provide a EU VAT number (companies), you'll be charged with a VAT of 19,6% of the final price."

which means you have to pay about US$ 58.60 ...
    Hello,
    In europe the rule of the VAT is clear :

You don't right to charge VAT on America, Asia or European company* only French company.

*For european company when you have a thrue company registred on the state, you have a number intracommunnautaire FRxxxxxx for French, DEXXXXXX for Germany, etc...

The law is very stric in this domain. All accreditation are available on our site and it's very easy to verify our status by differents official web site (Chamber of Commerce Paris, Kompass database...).

When you buy a dedicated server at $49 this is the price!

have a nice day

link for checking CTN1 Statuts

Some links for verify our company
    http://www.societe.com/cgi-bin/recherche?rncs=447656802
    http://www.infogreffe.fr (enter ctn1 on field denomination social)

have a nice day
    Last edited by mgctn1; 03-02-2004 at 09:12 AM.

Re: Re: Confirm

Originally posted by theweb2k
    no offense, but i'd call that "false/misleading advertising" - you don't say anything about that on your site.
    You can easy understand why do this. It is very new in the web hosting market and just want to make many $ ASAP.
    Have the really cheapest prices in europe, but have do some bad practice, and the most importand not say this clear in the website. No any info about 20% more prices for european customers.
    Regards,
    Christos

finally the problem resolved. I buy a box soon, so i can test the service.

Im from the UK, and recently got a box from CTN1. I did pay VAT, but for the server, it was still and excellent price.
    Quick setup, good service and fantastic ping times (to me in the UK anyway!)
    Lets hope it stays this way!

Economic definition of price discrimination:

"Being able to charge two separate prices for the same product, thereby reducing consumer surplus."

Thank goodness they're not a U.S. based company, or they'd be up against a dozen lawsuits.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

Why would they? They are simly charging VAT (As they are obliged to do) to European customers - which they don't have to charge to US customers, which is makign the difference in price of nearly 20% because the VAT rate they are charging is 19.6%.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Originally posted by KDAWebServices
    They are simly charging VAT (As they are obliged to do) to European customers -
    No.

There is a site here: www . ctn1 . com with prices in $: 49 $ (without VAT)

and an other here: www . ctn1 . net with prices in euro: 49 Euros (without VAT)

But 1$ != 1 euro ...

can we get an ip to ping and a file to download and test the speed ?

Jiel: Today 1USD=0,82EUR

Originally posted by Vpower
    Jiel: Today 1USD=0,82EUR
    Sure, "!=" means "is not equal".
    sorry for the jargon

lol, me awaits the discrimination arguments
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

To be honest, its a real shame to see ctn1.com discriminating against the european market, considering that is where they are based. When you go an work it out, add the VAT onto the 49 and then convert to dollars and then add the cost of cPanel, the deal really isnt a glossy as first expected. Im really dissappointed with the Ctn1.com are operating, and i was very interested in their servers up until now. Really poor form...

Jiel: Sorry for not understandig the jargon

dxhost.net:
    I belive that it is quite usual for european companys to operate with price+VAT. Of course they could include VAT in all the prices and then take away VAT on the price when selling to customers located outside the EU.
    It will be the same anyway..
    Of course the price without VAT can be misleading for the EU customers, but I don`t understand making all the noice about it..

Anyway i though EU VAT was 17.5% and not 19.6%??? Im probably wrong, it may only apply in the UK at this rate but I thought it was the same all over Europe hehe

Also, I though VAT had to be clearly advertised alongside non-VAT prices (if you want to advertise non-VAT prices). Even if it is in smaller writing, im sure it has to be advertised

5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

VAT here in Portugal is 12%

Originally posted by Doggy
    VAT here in Portugal is 12%
    I mean when charging VAT in general to any EU customer

You charge VAT at the rate it is at the point of supply, so UK registered companies would charge 17.5%, Portugese 12% etc.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

The vat is not my point, if we were charged VAT on say what would cost the american market $49 dollars i would not mind, but instead we would be paying VAT instead on 49 euro. 49 is about $59 roughly. Add VAT on that, and its not quite the good deal. Total double standards even if VAT wasnt a factor...

I see what you mean, the ctn1.com price of i.e 49USD should be 59USD, when priced at 49EUR on ctn1.net..
    I agree with you there even as I live in europe but can buy servers at USD prices without VAT since I live outside EU

Price discrimination is illegal according to EU laws.
    A french based company must sell in Euro currency (without VAT for qualified EU customers who have a VAT number, and without VAT for the rest of the world as well, no VAT number required for that matter). Only EU customers without VAT number have to pay the 19,6% VAT tax applicable in France. The VAT rate is different in every EU member state: 25% in Denmark, 12% in Portugal, 19,6% in France, 17,5% in UK, 21% in Belgium etc.
    Selling in US currency is only possible if ctn1 has a branch office in the United State (outside France in anycase).
    Faites gaffe les mecs... Faire payer vos clients americains moins cher c'est pas reglo du tout (je ne parle pas de le TVA ici).

CTN1 cheapest servers, but you can trust this?

After having a lot of contact with CTN1, I believe I can trust them and will be moving there sooner or later for all my hosting and reseller servers.

I think US merchants will also have to add their local VAT taxes (much lower in the US) in the future. There is an VAT internet exemption in the US but it should end as the governments needs money... Europe is not very happy with this exemption as it gives US seller a decisive advantage... EU accually imposes VAT payment (by US merchant) for non virtual goods I believe. The virtual goods (hostings etc) will probably also be subject to EU VAT laws, as there is a lot of money involved (lost to EU)...
    Interesting trade war in perspective...

Don't forget the bandwidth, which is quite small in comparison to other hosts. They provide a minimum connection at 2 mbps, burstable to 3.