Question Mailbox becomes locked while transferring mail

Well, I started thread here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=241537

The problem was that 3 out 3 of my recent hosts had quite similar bug: unpredictable delay in mail deliveries and overall incoming mail loss. Now, the problem seems to contrentrate on Exim 4.24 and I think it occurs while I'm downloading mail from the server (this can take sometimes an hour!). Mailbox becomes locked, new mail isn't delivered and starts wandering inside the server for hours, days, or as it looks, forever... (headers are showing considerable time betwen "received" and "delivery-time") This is what _I_ think - all _YOUR_ thoughts are welcome!

Have anyone of you had this kind of problems/complains from the customers and if yes, how you solved them? 4.24 isn't the latest Exim release (4.30 is), perhaps it's the only buggy one?

Thanks for ANY help.

maybe this happens if mail is all stored in the mailfile - if the file is locked on download then it would prevent mail being written to the file - but i'd have thought is should be queued.

maybe a host using maildir format where each message is a different file would be better suited to you?

Hm... I don't actually think mail is being queued while transferring. Because after download messages are being delivered not in the order they were received.

And, ca-uk, which program this fault is?

Thanks!!!

Hello,

It is natural that the inbox file gets locked when you check mail. If it is still locked when Exim attempts to append newly-arrived message to the inbox file, the delivery is deferred but the message should stay in the retry queue.

The actual delivery time depends a lot on the retry settings. I think the way Exim calculates the retry time may contribute to the delays (I believe it is not calculated for individual messages but for domains).

Marek