Thread: EV1 RHE Bad Mix

Unhappy EV1 RHE Bad Mix

We have no finished moving our last server away from EV1.

I just wanted to give everyone a headsup.

1. They recommend there own apt-get program which doesn't update properly nor does it give access to 90% of the modules on up2date.

2. Expect 36+ hours to have up2date configured. We went through this three times.

3. They techs, including a manager didn't even know how to use up2date at the command line. I'm not refering to the datacenter, but the technical support and tech support managers.

We have now moved our servers to server matrix.

1. Server was installed with up2date functioning when it came online.

2. Some of the older channels for things like mysql-server weren't configured. A simple phone call and they fixed it while I was waiting on the phone.

3. I can post any question to any tech and 95% of the time I get a response, even if it's something like "what port for this program" or indepth like "any ideas on how to lock this down?".

4. I also am now saving almost $350 a month.

I would recommend anyone with EV1 seriously considering trying Server Matrix.

glad to hear that, i was thinking seriously to move

how about the network which is faster to you ?

can you PM me an IP i would see how faster is it from kuwait

Thanks
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

It is faster and so are the servers, by quite a bit. I'm very happy with Server Matrix. PM is being sent now.

Thanks,

This isn't really a fair comparison, Ev1 is unmanaged, they don't claim to be a managed server provider, whilst ServerMatrix hype themselves as being managed/semi-managed, so you can expect a difference in support.

up2date is your responsibilty, did you rhn_register first, updates the certs (if need be) and up2date --configure? Either way Ev1 are not there to walk you through it. Did you try the Ev1 forums? RedHat mailing list? Google?

It may of been the case that SM did configure up2date, i.e. registering the server, update certs if need be, and configure which packages to skip/not skip, it's all configuration! That Ev1 didn't do that isn't a bad thing.

3. They techs, including a manager didn't even know how to use up2date at the command line. I'm not refering to the datacenter, but the technical support and tech support managers.
    I'm sure there are many techs in Ev1 that do know how to use up2date, however many Linus or BSD guru probably hasnt used up2date before since it's a RedHat only product, ask them to compile a kernel from source and they could probably do that (not that they will/should since there unmanaged).
    MattF - Since the start..

up2date is your responsibilty, did you rhn_register first, updates the certs (if need be) and up2date --configure? Either way Ev1 are not there to walk you through it. Did you try the Ev1 forums? RedHat mailing list? Google?
    Up2date on RHE is included with the license fee paid to EV1 for RHE and, by there own words, to be configured on setup. Check there forums.

EV1 has to enter there information because there is a cost for up2date that is included with the license fee. They don't give out that login information and I don't blame them, but 36 hours to configure it?

I'm sure there are many techs in Ev1 that do know how to use up2date, however many Linus or BSD guru probably hasnt used up2date before since it's a RedHat only product, ask them to compile a kernel from source and they could probably do that (not that they will/should since there unmanaged).
    What I asked was very simple. I needed a module that is available on the RHE CD's and up2date did not appear to be functioning properly. This module, as I was paying extra for an RHE license should be made available to me. I was continually refered to there internal apt-get which was not providing the required module. When I was finally refered to up2date now one knew even the simplest commands. I learned them all on my own, which was my intention. But I requested these modules be installed during setup and they weren't. So a simply, this is how you use up2date would have been nice. I've used apt-get and yum, but they don't work with RedHat Enterprise as these are internal to RedHat.

I never asked for managed. The base os configuration I did no problem, it was simply relating to a module and updates that I had issues with.

I also did not dock anything but there time to get me online and lack of knowledge of a product that requires usage of certain items. Up2date is a required for RedHat Enterprise as no one else can provide updates. Apt-get is a fine solution if it works right, but they do not have it working right, yet recommend it to all there customers.

You can read all about that on there forums.

Not to mention the EV1 just came out an paid a reported seven figured (hard to beleive) to fund SCO's attack on Linux.

Great to hear there is a credible alternative to EV1 with server matrix.

I hadn't heard about that, but it's sad to hear considering there are many hosting related products that don't run on SCO Unix, even though many do.

I don't fully understand the whole issue there, nor will I claim to.

I just wish the battle would stop so everyone can get on with life and making our software products better.