Thread: SSL Question

Question SSL Question

When I move to a new server how do I transfer my SSL certificate?

Can I just copy the original certificate into the new server? Or do I have to generate a new one?

Thanks

I believe either would work fine if you generated the original one.

Though if you purchased it - you'll have to copy it over.

so, I can copy it from the original email and install it on the new server?

Yes.

*edit*

Guess I should elaborate a little - SSL certs can be installed on 100 servers *just an example* - but they don't work without the domain it had assigned to it

*/edit*

I see, so as long as I am using the same domain name on the new server that is all that matters!

Thanks

Well, it will work on the new server depending on the type of web server you are running. If they match, then you can transfer the SSL cert. Let's say one server is running apache +mod_ssl and the other machine is running netscape enterprise. That way the cert won't work.
    | Priority support (Since July 2001) | 99.9%+ uptime (Alertra stats available) |
    | Dual Xeon servers at local data center | Premium PEER1 bandwidth |
    | Visit us today | www.webulex.com |

Actually, you can transfer the certificate from any system, to any other - providing you know how! (the most notable exception is Java's keytool, as it cant import/export private keys)

You simply need to copy the .key and .crt files (and chain file if needed) to the other server.
    If moving TO IIS, you can use openssl to merge the key and cert into a PFX for importing onto the windows system.

If you need any more instructions, just drop me a note, saying what systems you're moving from/to

Well, from the sounds of it he already purchased a new one
    | Priority support (Since July 2001) | 99.9%+ uptime (Alertra stats available) |
    | Dual Xeon servers at local data center | Premium PEER1 bandwidth |
    | Visit us today | www.webulex.com |

If someone could answer a few of my questions via AIM, this would be appreciated, I too am transferring but I am a bit confused.

The directions tell me to insert several lines here

Right now, I actually have an ssl.conf file that I edited in the /etc/httpd/conf.d/
    and I don't have that folder on my new box (only /etc/httpd/conf/)

Any ideas?
    Thanks for your time.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH