ServerBeach & EV1

Anyone have any comments on them? I accidentally got into a chat with one of the techs..check this out:

OK I couldnt send/save the convo so here is what happened:

I am browsing ServerBeach.com when I accidentally click the chat icon

I then get some guy called BOBBY and he asks me whats up. I tell him Im just browsing around cause I might be moving from EV1

He then says "I can give you discount.. 89% on pro server"

Why do I get this discount? Because apparently if you're from EV1, you get that discount

Now I have no clue if this is just some sick joke or what, but if this is true that seems like a sweet deal

Anyone got more info on this?

Is it an 89% discount or an 89 dollar deal?
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

He said 89 bucks

That's nice of him to offer you that... Not many companies will go out of their way to accomodate the 'new fish'.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

I see..

if you find serverbeach good..than whats the harm in accepting the discount?.. maybe EV1 doesnt like this practice
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

They are rather strict with IPs. But I would go with SB than EV1 for the support they provide.

SB = better support, good prices, and they don't support litigious bastards.

Originally posted by Oopsz
    Never figured I'd see the day when I would say it but yeah I'd give ServerBeach a try over EV1 if I were you. I've seen serverbeach ads on TechTV so they get a point for "cool I saw their ad on TechTV" but I haven't used them myself but the complaints here on SB aren't that many so the "no news is good news" rule applies haha.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Did they hire a new sales guy at ServerBeach? I can't recall a 'Bobby' There is one guy that is really rude. I wont mention his name but others have dealt with him I'm sure.

Originally posted by Oopsz

How do you know that?
    There are many companies that have signed on with SCO and just weren't as public about it as EV1.

Originally posted by blue27
    How do you know that?
    There are many companies that have signed on with SCO and just weren't as public about it as EV1.
    True how about "and they don't PUBLICLY support litigious bastards"
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

That's better.

I know some sites that have moved because of EV1/SCO relationship. WOuldn't be surprised if there are more.
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

Call me ignorant, but who is SCO? Their page is down.

SCO used to be Caldera Systems, a Linux company (ironically enough). The "bought" UNIX from Novell and now claim that Linux violates there copyrights and wants everyone to pay them bigs bucks or else. Unfortunately for them, they have yet to prove one single aspect of their claims.

Do a search og ggole for linux+SCO, lots of links.
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

Ev1Servers -

You can never find a better company for dedicated servers than EV1, they have 24x7 Live Support, Chat, Phone, and you know you are dealing with a real company (i.e. you probably know you wont have any problems if you host with bcentral) I saw on CNET news that their revenue goes higher than $70 million and have over 500 employees, that mean they are doing great,

Good Luck,
    Kevin

Serverbeach has gone on record saying they will not have anything to do with SCO, and will not pay extortion fees. With the good things I've heard about their service, I can recommend them wholeheartedly over EV1. Similarly for servermatrix.