Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Truely fully managed servers that never require me to use SSH

Hey everyone,
    I have read and searched the forums but found no clear answer to this question yet.

Where can I go for a truely fully managed server? I mean absolutely everything taken care of.

I want:
    - to be able to just go to WHM and add new accounts
    - to be able to have basic configuration done for me. eg. "please allow my clients to use .htaccess" or "please allow my clients to use SSI" or "please install this perl module"
    - the server monitored and maintained to a miniumum of 99.8% uptime
    - to be able to say "my client got this error message. can you please investigate"
    - support requests answered fairly promptly

I dont want:
    - to ever have to log into SSH for any reason

All that said, I certainly would not abuse support with heaps of requests.

I have had a sucessful arrangement with my current host where I answered my client support requests when I could (~95% of the time at least) and they would help me if I couldn't. They just haven't been able to have the uptime recently.

Any suggestions or experiences with this kind of service would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Boris

how much you willing to spend?
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

You should choose a server management company than.

Obviously, some have chosen to put their signatures in this thread already. The only catch is I believe you should choose different companies do your outsourced support and system administration.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

I offer discount hosting solutions to clients so I would love a fairly discount server if possible, but I am aware that this might not be realistic.

US$350/month would be my absolute maximum. I really don't want to spend that much but my business is burning because of a lack of reliability over the past week.

Since my clients are fairly budget consious and their sites do not require much grunt from the server, a P4 2.4 / 512 RAM / 80G HDD would be heaps.

Take a look at fastservers.net. Their highest managed plan doesn't even give you root access. They take care of everything. I can't give a personal recommendation as I have not used them, I only know they offer this service.

Do a search here. I believe they are generally well regarded.

For $350/month you can get a really reliable server with truely good support

Thanks everyone.

I've had a good look at fastservers.net and they look good. I've emailed them my first question and heard back from them within 5 minutes. Not too shabby.

I'll work out their local time compared with my own and send them a 3am call to say hello at some point. Everyone knows how lonely the overnight shift can get

Apart from the site search here and Google, is there another authority to verify the quality of a server management company?

Any other recommendations from anyone else?

Sounds like Servint to me, and you can get a kick a** server in that price range with WHM/Cpanel. Been there over a year now, and their managed services allow me to concentrate on other aspects of my business.

To be able to just go to WHM and add new accounts?
    Yep.

The server monitored and maintained to a miniumum of 99.8% uptime?
    Yes. I sleep like a baby at night knowing the server is in good hands. My clients and reputation are too important for me to have otherwise.

Support requests answered fairly promptly?
    Yes, 24 hour phone support is available and support email usually answered in minutes.

As for your other questions, I don't think that would be a problem. But send them an email to find out. Also, the owner, aka Bobfarmer participates on these forums and I am sure he will answer your questions.

Good luck

P.S- The link above goes to the vps managed faq, as I could not find the dedicated server managed faq.

Thanks Rockerhard,
    I'll check them out. I really like the idea about sleep.

It's been a looooong week with my current host. Hang on, it's only Monday.

www.Cheetaweb.com for managment.

And that is all that needs to be said
    End o discussion, mod lock thread :p
    Global Datacenter
    Low Cost; Reliable Network; Unmetered Data Transfer
    3Mbit Unmetered, or 10Mbit Unmetered; Direct Admin Control Panel
    www.GlobalDC.com

try idologic.com
    They are on top and TRUELY meet your needs.
    be aware of some managed company and remember to ask them

* firewall install/configure?
    * tune server PRO-acively ?
    * pataches/security PRO-actively?

many managed companies only do things when told, this means you have to check security updates often.....

Idologic is exactly what you need, you do no even have to touch SSH!!! It is just like a big reseller account.
    Last edited by Jori; 03-02-2004 at 05:36 AM.

The best managed servers I've ever found were at Interland. I've called them at 3AM in the morning and not only had my problem resolved but had a good conversation with the tech for 1/2 an hour.

We don't call them much anymore, but we still have servers there. Primarily our notorious reseller dedicateds that always seem to break at the times when we don't have time to look into it. On average most problems are resolved within an hour , sometimes two.

tranXact Global Services says they offer fully managed servce, but i have not tried it.

Originally posted by mnett
    tranXact Global Services says they offer fully managed servce, but i have not tried it.
    They're just managed AFAIK, their "managed" definition can be found at http://www.tranxactglobal.com/managed_def.php.

I'd recommend Idologic based on the strength of their service for my reseller account.

I won't pretend I've tried their dedicated server management personally.....but their reseller server management leaves nothing to be desired (sounds like what you really want is just your own dedicated "reseller server".)

boris

Rockerhard's suggestion is solid: You'd be doing yourself a disservice by not at least contacting Servint to see what they can do for you, as your wish list is practically a Servint "what-we-do." I was with Servint for the better part of two years--and not once did I have to use shell or otherwise troubleshoot the server, and they never charged a dime more than the bargained-for monthly fee (which by the way was comfortably below $350 for a configuration superior to what you seek). Tech support replies came by email in literally minutes; phone support never went beyond a two-ring pickup and I always immediately got through to someone who could help. Their tech folks are where your server is, and they know exactly what they're doing (although, admittedly, with certain Cpanel issues resolution might take a bit longer while they contact Cpanel), and are customer-driven and friendly besides.

--FWIW...
    Last edited by tfc; 03-05-2004 at 10:40 PM.

- support requests answered fairly promptly

if you mean support to you not your clients then that much $$ you are talking about is a bit high
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

Servint is good as a managed server provider. However, the BIG difference between it and idologic is Servint will DO NOTHING until you tell them to do. They will not even noticce if you do not install firewall. Firewall is not under their management cope either. In this way, you have to be security alert YOURSELF. I never get kernel security alert from Servint. I always got news other places and email them to update it. Also, couples of time I asked Servint check my logs who caused loading is so high. NOC replied to me like this " I only could check what IS happening not WAS happening" My partner kilo then had to search EV1 forum again trying to find solutions and LOGIN to SSH AGAIN.

Nevertheless, Servint is good for poeple who know system admins better and have no time to do it aone because servint's response time is fast and they monitor server and restart your server if server down. That is why you see so many people here praise them. With 240USD/month, servint will still be a great choice.

With idologic, it is a totaly different story. they monitor server PRO-ACTIVELY. They pataches kernel and securities when needed and let you know how and when. If someone seems to flood your server, they dig around and find who cause it for you automatically. I could eve go travelling for a week without problems. Price is only 299usd/month.

Well, it all depends on your needs actually then.

The only provider I know of which meets your needs exactly is clook.net

Thanks for the further responses. I really think this could be a valuable thread for a lot of people in a situation similiar to mine.

Just so you know - I went with fastservers.net.

I did a lot of research on them first, and after reading at least 100 threads on WHT and other sources about them, I didn't find one bad review.

Whether that translates into good service in my particular case is something that is yet to be seen, but I'm happy so far.

I think I'll also try another provider for my next server. Always better to have another basket.

I would go with servint for that. They are running a promotion now, grab 'em.

They are fully managed though.

If you want pro-active full management, I think $350 per month would be the minimum you'd be able to get a server in this category for (I'm talking Rackspace level full management).

Diagnosing a problem at 3AM after the client notifies you is one thing, however being alerted to the problem at 3AM, fixing the problem and restoring service to the server by 3.05AM then sending the client a note explaining what was happened is our definition of full management.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

just go to dinix, thats what i did
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Uh, I could manage a dedicated server for you for 150$ a month. Pretty good price in my opinion ;x

the BIG difference between it and idologic is Servint will DO NOTHING until you tell them to do.
    We've been over this before Jori and that statement is false. When you sign up for ServInt and tell them what you want them to handle procatively, they will.

If you don't tell them what you want, they won't be able to give it to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast