View Poll Results: Which of the following graphic programs is easiest to use for Web?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ulead Photo Impact

1 14.29%
  • Adobe Photoshop

5 71.43%
  • Jasc Paint Shop Pro

1 14.29%
  • Corel Draw

0 0%
  • GIMP

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%

Question Question in regards to product images

I am a webmaster for an e-commerce website for apparel products. How does one create product images, such as amazon.com, bestbuy.com, etc. (you name it!) The retail store wants me to take pictures of the images and make them look professional, like the ones on most websites. Are there certain cameras that are good? And, what's the best software that is easy to use to do this? Especially, how do you deal with optimizing issues (finding the right quality within the right byte size)? I've read other posts and I know they mentioned it's dreadful, because it will take about a year to really have a website that we are satisified. Also, do you recommend getting a professional photgraphers and professional artist? Graphics is an area where I know least about. For example, I am having difficulty learning how to compress the images, without loss of quality (56K target for visitors). And, finally, are there any books / websites / resources you can recommend on this? Thanks for your time and any help would be appreciated.

I use both - Photoshop and CorelDraw.
    Also I like and use the Macromedia products.
    Bestbg - Best "Background" Services

electronic cataloguing isnt traditionaly a job for a webmaster - typically, this is something a professional photographer would do (especially if your customer is looking for high caliber work similar to amazoncom and yahoo, etc). If you have commited to performing this work for a customer (hopefully you are charging appropriately for this, as it is time consuming and isnt traditionally cheap) - make sure you use a proper backdrop and lighting. Ant decent digital camera and photo editing software will do. resolution isnt as important as quality of light, color of backdrop (depends on products and light location, etc.) and proper formatting of the images..

I agree with you, Gargoyle. I believe that graphics is best left for photographers, because I don't have much clue when it comes to taking professional looking pictures, which is what they are asking for. As a matter fact, some of the pictures that one of our vendors gave us doesn't look right. It looks they just slapped the product on a hanger and also has wrinkles! Anyway, somehow, I have to convey to them that I'm just not the best / most professional at creating the pictures. I'm good with overal design issues and the programming aspects.
    Additionally, does the photographer normally do photo compressions, or does the web programmer usually have to compress the data? If so, how do you get the best compression with the best quality? In other words, I believe the images start in 5MB images, and the farthest I've gotten to compress was 50K and that takes 12 seconds to load (according to PhotoImpact, which is the one I have been using) on a 56k modem , which I've read that after the first 6 seconds most people would click to another site. If file size wasn't a matter, then it would be a lot easier to compress under a higher compression. This is the stuff where I get lost with images (in addition to learn how to take them!).
    On a side note, according to reviews I heard that Ulead Photo Impact has the best compression ratio and is designed for the internet. If anyone has heard otherwise, please let me know. I believe that different tools do different jobs, so no one tool can od it all, IMHO.

Hi Smilley,

Although I am not an expert in this area (not by a long shot) - here's what we have found from our own customers experiences.

- Start with image sizes smaller then 5 MB - 2 MB or even 1 MB should be adequate for pictures that will ultimately be displayed on the web - this way compression becomes more effective, and you should be able to get all your images down to 8-12k.

Ulead Photo is the one our customers are happiest with, but newer versions of photoshop do a decent job of compression if the starting picture size is manageable.

Hope this helps...