Items NOT to Activate in WHM

Another thread discussed the merits of Vbulletin software as opposed to other resource hogs (see http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=241158)

This thread is designed for devining which options a Cpanel hosting company should choose to activate for his (1) retail customers and (2) resellers, in WHM. For example, what software is buggy, a resource hog, a pain to maintain (support intensive), etc. For one, the old formmail.pl by Matt Wright should NEVER be offered by any host due to the spamming issue., while offering root access is not at all a good idea, or is it a jailed version of the superuser?

The above are only examples...let's hear from the hosting experts...

Secrets of the trade.....

This is really a subjective question. Almost everything is cpanel is buggy to a certain degree, and choosing what to "allow" is a matter of personal preference and should support whatever is the objective of your company.

For example if VERY HIGH server reliability and security is a concern, then you should not allow SSH, termination of accounts, etc...

But if LOTS OF FEATURES is your objective, then you would definately want to allow those same features.

Originally posted by mrzippy
    Secrets of the trade.....

This is really a subjective question. Almost everything is cpanel is buggy to a certain degree, and choosing what to "allow" is a matter of personal preference and should support whatever is the objective of your company.
    While "subjective" falls into the equation, "common sense" should rule. For example, to allow your clients to use the old formmail script is asking for major trouble.
    I don't believe I have to explain that issue here.

In a similar vein, my original query should be reframed, i.e., which scripts generate the most support questions from your clientele?

Hi colden,

You can just try to

Enable php open_basedir Protection
    Disable Anonymous FTP
    Enable SMTP Tweak
    Deny Relaying

Regards,

Bright