Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    For 100% Server uptime, you would need to get into clustering and load balancing, which is way, way, way over your budget... Even this isn't garenteed 100%
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

99.9% of host that offer 99.99% or 100% uptime have escape clauses in their SLA that says if it is an upstream, it is beyond their control yada yada yada they do not have to pay. If they do have to pay you it is normally a prorated amount of the amount you pay equal to the downtime past their SLA so if they promise 99.9% and only make 99.5% they have to pay you .4% of the $20.00 a month you pay.

Big deal you get a 1 cent refund.

A SLA is about as good as the paper or in this case computer screen it is written on.

Find yourself a respected host that charges realistic prices and only go month to month.

The best SLA you can have is your feet. if they preform and keep good uptime stay with them if not vote with your money and go some where else. SLA's are just another marketing ploy.

Peer1 gives 100% network uptime not server uptime. No server can have 100% uptime, with the various kernel updates 6+ in the last 6 months these things require reboots.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

REAL 99.999% would cost you ATLEAST $1k+ per month..usually around $4k or so.
    Maker of World's BEST Browser & Web site development software.
    Shared / Reseller / Dedicated *Managed* Web hosting on Linux / Windows with 99.5% Uptime Guarantee with SLA & 90 days moneyback guarantee.
    Contact -> AIM: str1997 | ICQ: 303026849

try ***********.net they are great for me !

heh, i wonder what host that is... first time i've seen something blacklisted. heh

Originally posted by lnguyen
    heh, i wonder what host that is... first time i've seen something blacklisted. heh
    You haven't been here long enough I guess
    hehe
    Shared / Reseller / Dedicated *Managed* Web hosting on Linux / Windows with 99.5% Uptime Guarantee with SLA & 90 days moneyback guarantee.

Well, I don't have that much money !
    Only $50 / month
    I don't have many sites, maybe less than 40, and only 4-5 of them have more than 1000 hots a day, the rest has less than 50 !
    So I need a small space 1-2GB and I can pay $50 at most for this.
    so this way I think 99.99% is acceptable too ! coz $4k/month is not something I can afford

I think those who have 100% uptime during te last months or years, can be a good solution, coz as I check all my choices with HyperSpin or Alertra, they all go down serverl times a month

Originally posted by servers24
    Well, I don't have that much money !
    Only $50 / month
    I don't have many sites, maybe less than 40, and only 4-5 of them have more than 1000 hots a day, the rest has less than 50 !
    So I need a small space 1-2GB and I can pay $50 at most for this.
    so this way I think 99.99% is acceptable too ! coz $4k/month is not something I can afford

I think those who have 100% uptime during te last months or years, can be a good solution, coz as I check all my choices with HyperSpin or Alertra, they all go down serverl times a month

Ok now that you have landed on ground ...you can expect anywhere from 99.5% - 99.99% uptime from any of the good webhosts on the board and that's what you should look/ask for.

Originally posted by Techark
    99.9% of host that offer 99.99% or 100% uptime have escape clauses in their SLA that says if it is an upstream, it is beyond their control yada yada yada they do not have to pay. If they do have to pay you it is normally a prorated amount of the amount you pay equal to the downtime past their SLA so if they promise 99.9% and only make 99.5% they have to pay you .4% of the $20.00 a month you pay.

Big deal you get a 1 cent refund.

A SLA is about as good as the paper or in this case computer screen it is written on.

Find yourself a respected host that charges realistic prices and only go month to month.

The best SLA you can have is your feet. if they preform and keep good uptime stay with them if not vote with your money and go some where else. SLA's are just another marketing ploy.

That's not entirely true, many hosts do guarantee this indeed, but not all. I decided this would be totally unfair towards my customers so I have a different policy: 99.9 - 99.99% uptime = 10% refund, 99.8 - 99.9% = 20% - and so on. Nevertheless, we haven't had any network downtime in the past 1.5 years, and besides reboots for kernel upgrades the servers haven't been down either.

Though I agree, it's highly recommendable to read the TOS/SLA before you go with a hosting company. Many companies operate the way Techark said.

Good luck with your search.

Originally posted by Apoc
    That's not entirely true, many hosts do guarantee this indeed, but not all. I decided this would be totally unfair towards my customers so I have a different policy: 99.9 - 99.99% uptime = 10% refund, 99.8 - 99.9% = 20% - and so on. Nevertheless, we haven't had any network downtime in the past 1.5 years, and besides reboots for kernel upgrades the servers haven't been down either.

Though I agree, it's highly recommendable to read the TOS/SLA before you go with a hosting company. Many companies operate the way Techark said.

Good luck with your search.
    Where is this SLA at?

According to your TOS 100% Uptime SLA is not valid if you decide to do maintenance or for any reason you decide the server needs to be taken offline for a while or if any of your partners need to do maintenance or they fail and it is out of your hands.

Warranties of SolidRack. 100% uptime
    SolidRack warrants that the Service(s) shall be provided in a workmanlike and professional manner. Upon SolidRack's breach of the foregoing warranty, Customer's sole and exclusive remedy shall be to require SolidRack to exercise commercially reasonable efforts to repair or replace the nonconforming Service(s); provided, however, that, with respect to any Service(s) which are interrupted or rendered inoperable due solely to SolidRack's breach of the foregoing warranty for any time period, Customer shall also be entitled to a pro-rata refund of any Fees attributable to the interrupted or inoperable Service(s) in an amount determined by multiplying the fixed monthly, recurring Fees (if any) for the interrupted or inoperable Service(s) by the ratio that the number of consecutive hours of inoperability bears to 720 hours (for the purpose of this computation, each month is deemed to have 720 hours). SolidRack will not be liable to any extent whatsoever for interruption, restriction, inoperability or malfunction of any Service(s) which is not caused solely by a breach of the warranty set forth in this Section 4.1. SolidRack expressly reserves the right to suspend, interfere with, impair or terminate Service(s) as necessary for purposes of maintenance, upgrades or repair (either by SolidRack or by any supplier, partner or independent contractor of SolidRack) or in the event of any circumstance which SolidRack, in its sole discretion, deems necessary or desirable to prevent or remedy an impairment of, or harm to, the integrity or functionality of any Service(s) or any plant, services or facilities of any Indemnitees (as defined in Section 4.3) or of any third party, and neither the exercise nor the non-exercise of the foregoing rights or discretion shall constitute a breach of any provision of this Agreement.

Now I am not saying you are not a good host but as I stated before SLA's are full of holes for the host. Even mine is.

Again the best SLA a customer can have is a month to month contract so they can leave if the host does not preform. .

Actually, I think the best gauge is simply a third-party uptime measure. Anyone can say 99.9% or 100% uptime, but the hosts that offer third-party uptime statistics linked off their website can offer proof of their uptime guarantee.

Many SLAs are full of holes... it's your job as a customer to sift through them and figure out which ones are real. Ask tough questions to the sales staff and see if they can answer them (When was your last server outage? Why? What uptime guarantees do your upstream providers give you?)

100% network uptime is possible. 99.9-99.99% server uptime is possible. There are many hosts that can provide 99.9%-100% uptime, including the 5-10 reseller hosts that are often recommended here... and others whose owners don't frequent this board.

Just my two cents.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

search for good Support

Originally posted by Techark
    Where is this SLA at?

According to your TOS 100% Uptime SLA is not valid if you decide to do maintenance or for any reason you decide the server needs to be taken offline for a while or if any of your partners need to do maintenance or they fail and it is out of your hands.

Warranties of SolidRack. 100% uptime
    SolidRack warrants that the Service(s) shall be provided in a workmanlike and professional manner. Upon SolidRack's breach of the foregoing warranty, Customer's sole and exclusive remedy shall be to require SolidRack to exercise commercially reasonable efforts to repair or replace the nonconforming Service(s); provided, however, that, with respect to any Service(s) which are interrupted or rendered inoperable due solely to SolidRack's breach of the foregoing warranty for any time period, Customer shall also be entitled to a pro-rata refund of any Fees attributable to the interrupted or inoperable Service(s) in an amount determined by multiplying the fixed monthly, recurring Fees (if any) for the interrupted or inoperable Service(s) by the ratio that the number of consecutive hours of inoperability bears to 720 hours (for the purpose of this computation, each month is deemed to have 720 hours). SolidRack will not be liable to any extent whatsoever for interruption, restriction, inoperability or malfunction of any Service(s) which is not caused solely by a breach of the warranty set forth in this Section 4.1. SolidRack expressly reserves the right to suspend, interfere with, impair or terminate Service(s) as necessary for purposes of maintenance, upgrades or repair (either by SolidRack or by any supplier, partner or independent contractor of SolidRack) or in the event of any circumstance which SolidRack, in its sole discretion, deems necessary or desirable to prevent or remedy an impairment of, or harm to, the integrity or functionality of any Service(s) or any plant, services or facilities of any Indemnitees (as defined in Section 4.3) or of any third party, and neither the exercise nor the non-exercise of the foregoing rights or discretion shall constitute a breach of any provision of this Agreement.

Now I am not saying you are not a good host but as I stated before SLA's are full of holes for the host. Even mine is.

Again the best SLA a customer can have is a month to month contract so they can leave if the host does not preform. .
    You are quoting my dedicated policy there

I agree, the best thing is to have a month to month contract, or a contract that the host will refund the remainder of the pre-paid fee if you decide to cancel.

100% up time

a nice article on the realities of uptime is here:

http://www.codesta.com/knowledge/man...e%5Frealities/
    John Masterson
    Former Hosting Company Owner

Personally I think a host that can get 99.5-99.9% real uptime on their servers for 'normal' money is doing very well. And by real uptime I mean counting all downtime - scheduled, unscheduled, upstream, whatever. Although hosts may see different sorts of downtime, downtime is downtime as far as the customer is concerned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12