Legality of drug information sites..

Hi guys,

Just found a website on one of our servers related to cannabis including how to grow and harvest it. I personally am not comfortable with having this hosted by us so it's going to be removed, but i was wondering fi there were any laws regarding such information being distributed online in the UK/US.

Thanks,

Sam
    Web design London - Ideal Websites

It is not illegal unless they sell cannabis or cannabis seeds or provide links to sources that do.

It is not illegals in US because its Freedom of press and speech. You can tell and show anyone how to make anything aslong as your not actually making it and just telling them.

What is someone want put info about how make WMD...
    is that Freedom of press and speech?
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

As long as it doesn't infringe on national security, it is covered under freedom of speech.
    There are sites out there that will show you how to build a nuclear weapon.

Originally posted by Mark Nordstr
    It is not illegals in US because its Freedom of press and speech. You can tell and show anyone how to make anything aslong as your not actually making it and just telling them.
    This is not entirely correct, last I checked. If the laws have since been overturned, my apologies. For example, instructions on how to make a bomb are not legal.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

It’s your network … as far as I understand, you can set what’s appropriate.

maybe you need write very clear your conditions to take your services.
    before to sale it.
    is only my opinion.

inkaloko

Re: Legality of drug information sites..

Originally posted by eniki
    Hi guys,

Just found a website on one of our servers related to cannabis including how to grow and harvest it. I personally am not comfortable with having this hosted by us so it's going to be removed, but i was wondering fi there were any laws regarding such information being distributed online in the UK/US.

Thanks,

Sam
    Tell them to pack it up and move on if you are uncormfortable. Hopefully they aren't selling materials (on your server) to aid in the growth of illegal drugs. Maybe the FBI or state authorities would be interested if they had nothing else to do like confiscate servers from data centers. Is your TOS/AUP rready to let you pull the plug on them?
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

It's not illegal. You can buy High Times right at the news stand as a mag. Information about drugs is NOT illegal unless that information is how to obtain drugs or drug related items.

Thanks guys. We're quite entitled to remove it according to our TOS and AUP. It's more of a moral/religious problem for me. I'm going to remove it. Thanks for your replies though.

Get a Dutch Host!

In the Netherlands it's 100% legal Sell it, buy it, use it!

Thats a pretty shady thing to do to a client. Hell I could yank a 100 sites that I dont think should be up based on their content. But if it is legal I let em stay.

Maybe you could sell client to another host that's comfortable?

We have rejected similar sites before. But that's us. What do *you* think? I certainly don't believe it's illegal to have such sites.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

It's in our TOS and its only one of his smaller sites of many. He won't mind.. he asked us if it was ok and we were unsure of legal issues.

Well from a legal point of view in the UK, (here I go again)

It is clearly stated and there are many statutes to back this up.

You may display publically articles that relate to an illegail activity providing the article does not condone the activity or offer the supply of items that will facilitate the commiting of an illegal act by a person as a result of there viewing of that article.

So yes it is legal but be careful, if your deemed to be advertising the perceived "benefits" of an illegal product the you will be breaking the law in the UK

Lee