General Questions about payment processing systems

I have a friend who is going to be running for a statewide political office.

He wanting to accept donations online through a website.

What all will this undertake, and about how much cost?

I know we will need a payment processing system, and a secure link.

What are the typical rates that I would be looking for processing about 50-100 transactions a month?

Also, what systems handle multiple recurring transactions for a set time period - like someone wants to donate $100 a month for 5 months?

Does anyone do cheap work doing an integration on a website like this?

It will probably be next January when the site needs to be launched.

Thanks,

Brent

How long will you need this for? A lot of processors require a 3 or 6 month contract. You can check out Paysystems or 2CO, and even Paypal - they offer very low costs (if nothing) set up.

If you went for your own merchant account, you might be looking at about 2.25% in discount fees. You can let the gateway handle everything - capturing the card & do recurring billing if necessary.

Originally posted by coreybryant
    How long will you need this for? A lot of processors require a 3 or 6 month contract. You can check out Paysystems or 2CO, and even Paypal - they offer very low costs (if nothing) set up.

If you went for your own merchant account, you might be looking at about 2.25% in discount fees. You can let the gateway handle everything - capturing the card & do recurring billing if necessary.

It will be for at least 9 months.

After that nine months is up, can we take that contract and move it to another site that will be running by then?

Discount fees would probably be ok.

I have seen 2CO in action before, and my friend would like it to be a little seamless than that.

By handling everything at the gateway, does that mean everything is done his website?

Well after 9 mnths - taking the contract to another site - that is possible. It depends - is the site owned by the same person? What about the name on the merchant account - will that be same? And will the bank account / Federal TAX ID number be the same? It depends on how much is changed on what some processors charge you.

2CO is a third party processor. This basically means that their name will appear on the consumer CC statement, not the business. Also, you get your money every 2 weeks or something like that. With your own merchant account, the money is deposited into your account on a nightly basis & your business name appears on the consumer CC statement. A third party processor is usually easier to set up with no or very low set up costs. Their discount rates are usually a little higher.

A lot of gateways provide connectivity using basic HTML.

When I say let the gateway handle everything - I mean you allow the consumers to enter their CC data on an URL provided to you by the gateway, you are no longer on your site. Gateways do also provide an API which can be integrated into your website & you can do the processing there. But you need an SSL as well. You can get a Geotrust SSL Cert from EV1 for about $49.00: http://www.ev1servers.net/english/quickssldetails.asp