Smile Want to hear a funny story? Could be a nightmare for some, was for my friend.

A friend of mine went with a host which he can't tell me the name because it was a minor running the show, but at the time he thought it was an adult and got himself arrested.

He paid $200 for a year with this host, and everything was fine for about a month until the kids server went down when the 30 day gaurantee was up. Hmmm....

Anyway, once my friend discovered his site down he emailed the kid who he thought was an adult a few times. He never got a response for his first dozen emails, but when he wrote in his last email that he was going to track him down and kick his a$$ the kid wrote back stating that he lost his money so he couldn't pay him back. When my friend read this he decided to do a Who Is search on the kid who he thought was an adult and found out that he lived only five minutes away, so he gave the him a call. He called the kids up a few times but all my friend got was an answering machine, so he left him a few life threatening messages.

About a few days later my friend went to the kids house and got himself arrested when he tried to break down the door. Within minutes he got arrested and found out that the kid was just 10 years old, and the one who arrested him was the kids dad and a few of his police buddies. The kids father had no clue what his son was up too, but found out when a dozen more people stopped by his house.

No charges were pressed agains't my friend in exchange for buying them a new door with the two hundred dollars he was owed. The dad of that kid also got a court order agains't my friend and was also warned not to reveal any information about this situation. Can they do this?

Anyway, my friend got lucky, could've been worse I guess.

Well, violence is not the best way to go about that, and as your friend found out...is against the law.

Always good to know who you are buying from, and that there is a legit business behind the name.
    Glenn
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

For some reason I think it was the dad who was pulling this stunt, kinda hard for me to believe that it was a 10 yr old kid. Just wish I knew the name of these people so I wont ever make the mistake of hosting with them if they decide to pull this crap again.

When you start physically kicking down doors and threatening people's lives - what difference does it make that is was a minor? Your whole story smells fishy.

Hey, my friend told me this story, but he shouldn't have threatened anybody for $200.

I lost way more money than my friend in the past, but I had my lawyers straighten everything out for me which didn't cost me a dime since the others had to pay my bill.

Originally posted by SB-Host
    Well, violence is not the best way to go about that, and as your friend found out...is against the law.

Always good to know who you are buying from, and that there is a legit business behind the name.
    Glenn
    Don't take the law into your own hands take them to Peoples Court.

Kind of odd story over a couple of hundred bucks, should never pay a year upfront, for someone you do not know. Pay with Visa/Mastercard for protection.

Go with a company that you can research.

There is a sucker born every day, try not to be one.

LOL. Your friends story belongs in a movie. It's so unbelievable!

Also, as you said, it's kind of hard to believe it was a 10 yrs old kid that did all this. His father must've "helped" him if you know what I mean.

edited
    Last edited by Project X; 03-01-2004 at 07:50 AM.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Ya..its a real good incident.. and a lesson for all of us...
    The people here at WHT always say..."Don't Pay Yearly!"
    And don't mess with the law (and the lawkeepers )
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

but found out when a dozen more people stopped by his house.
    This many people actually tracked down a host and went to his house over $200?

The whole story sounds pretty dubious to me. I think your friend is embellishing things quite a bit.

I don't think he was lying about what happened, because during whole time he kept complaining about somebody owing him money, but didn't fill me in on the details until he got out of jail. Just wish he gave me more info, like what the hell are these peoples names, but I'm sure I get it out of him one day.

I don't think his dad helped him ldcdc, this kids dad was probably the bum, and put all the blame on his kid to save his own a$$.

He might have lied about the 12 people, how would he know?

If a kid knows how to run a server at 10 then he will be a computer wiz when hes 20. Story sounds off though.

Jeff
    Xoopiter.com:: The new standard in Web Hosting

I don't think his dad helped him ldcdc, this kids dad was probably the bum, and put all the blame on his kid to save his own a$$.
    I fully agree. When I said that the father "helped" his son I was only joking... It's clear to me that if the kid was indeed 10 he was either a genius or had nothing (or almost nothing) to do with all this. Great story though! Great story!

Kids these days....... LOL
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

my kid is 8.

he designs websites.

he does the class report on the computer.

he has his own website.

yup, kids nowdays!

ps and he spells better than i do
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

I used to watch Battlestar Gallactica. My first computer was an ATARI.

Kids today play pc games, surf the internet and live irc lives. The digital world is their world. I'm just a visitor.

Your friend bought hosting from a kid. And payed $ 200 yearly to host a site?
    Lookup your IP: snoopmyip.com
    Proxy Guide: proxyspot.com

Doesn't take much to run a reseller biz, you don't even need much skill. BUT...

What makes this story fishy...10yr olds cannot obtain credit, enter into a contract, nor would I imagine accept online payments. How would they do that? Paypal? need a CC and/or bank account. 2CO? How'd he open the account? Check/MO? Dumbass friend, but even still, how does a 10yr old cash a $200 check.

Nope, story if fishy or as someone said, it was the father using his 10yr as the scapegoat.

All that aside, your friend got everything that was coming to him. He's a loser. Regardless of who owes you money, you don't call them on the phone and leave threatening messages of violance, you DON'T emails threatening violence, and you sure as hell don't go and kick down someone's door. He's a MORON..and you can tell him I said so. There are perfectly reasonable and legal methods to resolve issues like this, especially if you know where that person lives.

Now on the subject of being able to find him via WHOIS. Another clue that somethings fishy, at least from the aspect of being legit. Noone who is in business who has a speck of brain matter would use thier HOME address and phone number on their business domains. If you don't have a business addy, you get a P.O. box for $50 a year. You DON'T use your HOME phone number, you get a business line or cell phone.

THis is not to avoid being found, it's to avoid buttholes like your friend...lol. aka crazies.

The whole think sounds like your friend was a sucker. Nothing more.

Originally posted by Brainiac
    He might have lied about the 12 people, how would he know?
    Wow what a story, reading between the lines I'd bet the real scoop is more like "about a half dozen OTHER people ALSO _called_ about being owed money" a dozen others SHOWING UP? That sounds a little far fetched but a handful calling pissed off? That I can buy.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Originally posted by ArtieFishill
    Doesn't take much to run a reseller biz, you don't even need much skill. BUT...
    No it doesn't and there's plenty of adult resellers out there probably even less qualified to run a business than this 10 year old.

What makes this story fishy...10yr olds cannot obtain credit, enter into a contract, nor would I imagine accept online payments. How would they do that? Paypal? need a CC and/or bank account. 2CO? How'd he open the account? Check/MO? Dumbass friend, but even still, how does a 10yr old cash a $200 check.
    Yeah but in today's society it's not uncommon for kids to have their own mom&pop issued credit cards or ask to borrow mom's, or have mom & pop open them up a Paypal account (or leave the "auto login" option set). I could see it happening but it would almost assuredly take cooperation from the parents, and I'm betting cop-dad had a hand in all of this, but it's easy for him to feign ignorance and pocket the money. I know this sounds biased as hell but of all the cops I've known _personally_ most of them would rank as some of the most dishonest people I've ever met.

Nope, story if fishy or as someone said, it was the father using his 10yr as the scapegoat.
    Here's where my bets lay, pop supplied the financial/banking help and son did the work. Likely no "harm" was intended but as 10 year olds are apt to screw up or "hey cool $200 in my paypal account I'm going to get that new Xbox now <month later> crap my reseller bill is due and I'm out of money... Dad I don't want to be a webhost anymore".

All that aside, your friend got everything that was coming to him. He's a loser. Regardless of who owes you money, you don't call them on the phone and leave threatening messages of violance, you DON'T emails threatening violence, and you sure as hell don't go and kick down someone's door. He's a MORON..and you can tell him I said so. There are perfectly reasonable and legal methods to resolve issues like this, especially if you know where that person lives.
    Yep stay professional, act like an adult, and take the proper channels. If he was only "5 minutes away" take his butt to small claims court. Or any number of other options.

Now on the subject of being able to find him via WHOIS. Another clue that somethings fishy, at least from the aspect of being legit. Noone who is in business who has a speck of brain matter would use thier HOME address and phone number on their business domains. If you don't have a business addy, you get a P.O. box for $50 a year. You DON'T use your HOME phone number, you get a business line or cell phone.
    Yep, though quite a few people don't even realize when they register a domain that that info will be publicly accessible. Boy and Cop-dad might not have been aware.

The whole think sounds like your friend was a sucker. Nothing more.
    Well he didn't deserve to be scammed, but paying yearly is not something I will do, but everything that happened afterwards he did deserve.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

the whole neighbourhood showing up at the illegally-running-business bully cop's place

As of today we are no longer friends. Like a ritual he started talking about it again at work like he does almost everyday since this happened to him about a month and a half ago. I've told him plenty of times that I didn't want to hear it again, but tonight I told him to shut the hell up, then we got into a big argument.

They should've locked him up for scaring the daylights out of that kid with his emails and that short visit that landed him in the slammer!

He just can't let it go!

The drama...

It sounds to me that your friend is full of crap. I find it hard to believe that story.

Who the hell would go threaten to kill someone, and actually attempt to do it, over a couple hundred bucks?
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Originally posted by dbbrock1
    It sounds to me that your friend is full of crap. I find it hard to believe that story.

Who the hell would go threaten to kill someone, and actually attempt to do it, over a couple hundred bucks?
    People do it for less all the time..... it's a crazy world
    Need Control Panel help? Tutorials, FAQS, user guides. and more
    Don't have the control panel you use listed? Let us know.

Yes, he's known for blowing things out of proportion, but I was there when he was losing his mind over his money, so I do believe his story, just not the part about the 12 over people.

What sucks is that I still have to see him everyday at work, but hopefully he's not around for long since he's getting on everyones nerves.

"People who fight the fire with fire usually end up with ashes"
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com