* Just Starting...

Hi, I am just starting a hosting business (well be doing it about part time for about 2 years now with fansites and stuff). I am looking for a good starting dedicated server. I would like it to be with a company that I can stay with as I grow. So, the cost can be a little more.

Any ideas on a good company to start with and maybe grow with?

PS -- Should I go managed or root for my first?

before getting your own dedicated server, have you considered getting a re-seller account? Maybe you have already done this?
    This is where most hosting companies start... (just saying this because I don't know what you mean by "Hi, I am just starting a hosting business (well be doing it about part time for about 2 years now with fansites and stuff). " do you mean you've been running fansites, managing them or hosting them in a reseller account?

If you are looking to get a dedicated server, I would suggest that your first should be a managed server, look around the posts here at WHT and you will see many people asking the same sort of thing regarding which companies to go with.

mlw22481 I'm still starting with dedicated servers myself, but people here have been kind trying to answer my questions, so I'll have a crack at yours.

> Any ideas on a good company to start with and maybe grow with?
    Many people here seem to be fans of ServerMatrix.com. I haven't used them myself yet, but on the recommendations here they will be my first dedicated server.

> PS -- Should I go managed or root for my first?
    You should get a managed server, but that doesn't mean you won't get root access.

I get the impression that one of the established steps towards being knowledgable enough for an unmanaged server, is to have a managed server and root access, and fix problems yourself as you learn how.

If it is your first dedicated server, I would definately go with a fully managed solution. That way, you get support when you need it in case you have a service failure of some sort. It is just easier all around when you do not have admins on staff 24/7. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the extremely affordable prices of fully managed servers these days as well. So it actually makes the decision quite easy

As far as specific companies, the ones that come to mind are:

1) thePlanet
    2) gnax
    3) dedicatednow (of they are taking new clients ?)
    4) site5

and about a million others I have had personal experience with each of the ones listed above and I would rate them very high in terms of network reliability and quality of support.

I hope this helps ... good luck
    Nathan M.
    Stormwire.com
    A decade of professional hosting !

Thanks for the replies!

I am going to go managed then. I am looking into the companies ya'll replied with now.

I have also been looking at 1and1.com.