Thread: My New Toy

My New Toy

Just thought I would share this with you.

Currently I am on my way to the airport in the back of a taxi when posting this.

Thanks to my new sattelite connection I have on my laptop, it seems to funninly enough, work absolutely anywhere, well at least here in the UK

No chance of not keeping up to date with my servers

Ever notice how cab fares to and from airports always seem a lot more than to and from anywhere else?
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

When I was in San Francisco I took a Limo instead of a cab when the rental car broke down because it was the same cost.
    Don't look for a way out.

Re: My New Toy

Originally posted by L Wisener
    Just thought I would share this with you.

Currently I am on my way to the airport in the back of a taxi when posting this.

Thanks to my new sattelite connection I have on my laptop, it seems to funninly enough, work absolutely anywhere, well at least here in the UK

No chance of not keeping up to date with my servers
    Cool...How much does the service cost?
    Cutting Edge Hardware Reviews - FastLane Hardware Forums

Neat, I was also about to ask how much does that cost.

Sorry for the dumb question to follow... but does this mean you can connect to the internet and be online anywhere? How far can you travel before your connection gets zapped though?

ok that is sweet, your my idol ! I want to get that
    Linux Admins the name, troubleshooting and administrating Linux Systems is my game

Wow! I would imagine its a pretty hefty upfront fee and then a nice monthly fee.

rools:

how secure is it ?

That's awesome! Where are you getting your service from, and how much did it cost?

My question is: is it an allowed thing on the plane itself?

Sounds good. How much does the service cost ?

Wow, what a great toy! Congratulations. I'm just trying to get my first laptop for crying out loud...

Premium members with all your premium money and premium toys... You guys can afford to treat me with a premium membership, don't you?

PS: I hope your battery life is fair to your needs.

Enjoy.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Originally posted by FireFox
    My question is: is it an allowed thing on the plane itself?
    I wouldn't think so.. They don't allow you to use cellphones, until the plane is landed. I'm sure you could get away with it, but would it be worth it if you got caught? I don't know what the penalties are.
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Originally posted by Trifolic
    I'm sure you could get away with it, but would it be worth it if you got caught? I don't know what the penalties are.
    I was travelling recently with a colleague from my university and he used his cell phone twice (I was sleeping, I would have told him myself). First time he got away. The second time he got a warning from a flight attendant and an angry look.

For me a bigger penalty was that we exclusively got bad service (well-deserved I think) and I didn't get my peanuts.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Originally posted by Trifolic
    I wouldn't think so.. They don't allow you to use cellphones, until the plane is landed. I'm sure you could get away with it, but would it be worth it if you got caught? I don't know what the penalties are.
    Yep. It is mainly not allowed because this will cause signal/communication problems with the plane.
    Last edited by AceWeb; 03-01-2004 at 03:45 AM.

There's been a big thing in the U.K. (don't know about U.S.) On how people can access your phone calls, mobile phones, even your satellite television and get it to record everything you are doing. There is currently this big thing about the weapons inspectors in Iraq having their mobiles tapped, not wired, just people are changing the signal sent to the satellite to listen to their conversations.

I wish planes had internet access attached to the seat in front of you so that when you pull down the feed tray you could go online.

Then I could surf the 8 hr flight :)

Originally posted by AceWeb
    Yep. It is mainly not allowed because this will cause signal/communication problems with the plane.
    Thats not true.

A mobile phone will not affect an airplanes communications at all. It actually affects the mobile phone networks. They are designed to pinpoint and interact with mobile phones which are on the ground. When a phone is above the line of sight of the transmitters it causes network issues as the transmitters find it harder to pickup your phone, and your phone can "lock on" to several transmitters at the same time.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

It is funny, I once read an article by one of the creators of the Boing 747. He was using his phone on a plane and the attendant said "I am sorry sir, you cannot use your phone as it will cause problems with the flight controls". He looked and laughed. He told her the whole story about how he helped design the plane and they are so protected from external sources, there was no way his phone could do anything (just think a Terrorist could get on a plane with a cell phone and take down a plane if it were true). She still insisted he stop using his phone
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Re: My New Toy

<snip>

<snip>
    Could you please let us know what company you went through to get this? It is a satellite connection?
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!

Ok, Mobile Phones do cause interference in the front 8 rows of a plane. Hold your cell phone near your radio, or TV and you'll hear beeping right before your phone call/text message/adjustment signal. It just cuts out what the captain/first officer can hear from ATC, which can be risky. Thats the reason they don't let the front 8 rows do it, and to be fair to the front 8 rows, they can't let anyone else do it.

Ah! I was hoping nobody would ask me the price and not depress me any more

It was through BT in the uk, set up fee of 650 (50% as its a trial)
    and then 65 per month (again 50% reduction)

Not available to the public yet. You can get a fixed sattelite connection at home via BT but this is completely mobile

Ah! I was hoping nobody would ask me the price and not depress me any more

It was through BT in the uk, set up fee of 650 (50% as its a trial)
    and then 65 per month (again 50% reduction)

Not available to the public yet. You can get a fixed sattelite connection at home via BT but this is completely mobile
    Do you have a connection somewhere? I have been looking all over for something like this. Sorry to be dumb, but who is BT, they have any idea if they will launch this to the public? In the US?

The only high speed mobile internet that I could find is this

http://www.kvh.com/Products/Product.asp?id=57

I would like something that is mobile in the 400k range
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!

Aren't those things going to give off a lot of electromagnetic radiation? Communicating with a satellite takes a huge signal (it has to go 200 miles)

Does the wireless device go on your lap?
    Last edited by HostMidwest; 03-01-2004 at 04:20 PM.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

Yes it does, it can be a bit akward, you have a small box which you need to open like a laptop case and keep it open while your connected, t works okay on the move but better while static.

BT = British Telecomunications.

I dont know if they have a link for it on their web site, I got this through snail mail. Unless your in the UK its probably no use.

The truth about cell phones on planes (Ive heard this forma bout 10 different stewardesses and about 5 stewards, yes I know alot of people in the airline travel industry :-/)
    The reason you are askesd to turn off your phone is the fact that it will cause a disturbance to others on the plane. The equipment is faaar too protected to be affected by a simple cell phone, otherwise planes would come out of the sky everytime the phones got used.
    Another note: Alot of cell phone towers dont broadcast "upwards", meaning theres not enough power in them to reach a cell phone in teh sky.

You can get Mobile T1's anywhere in the States from www.thedatabahn.com I'm not sure if its live yet, but its a pretty sweet product. I work with a guy who has sole rights to the state of Minnesota to sell the stuff. I've seen it in action and it is pretty cool.

Theoretically, a celluar signal can intefere with the navigational equipment on an aircraft (even though the wavelengths used are quite a distance apart). In practice, nothing happens - although it's not much good keeping your cell/mobile on once at altitude as there will be no service...
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!