Question Server location? Why does it matter?

Why does it matter to some people where their server is located? Apart from reasons like natural disaster locations etc...

But why would someone from the UK HAVE to have a server located in the UK, if you are talking about co-located servers then OK... thats a different matter but a regular server in much cheaper in america and would in the end make no difference in service (to a certain extent). We have had hosting in many different countries, but in the end, the quality is the same and prices lower than in the UK. Nothing against UK hosting but it IS expensive! So why not settle for a great company in the US, Australia or another and have a server for say $99 / month rather than have to pay say 150 / month (about $280 us) for the exact same thing?!

Well, I guess maybe its just the customer but having phone contact (at national or local rate) doesn't really matter much to most people.... Man.. I forgot what my argument was now oh well - I typed abit so i might aswell post it. Someone might get what I was going on about ?!

lower pings
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

but surely that would depend on the company rather than the location?

Originally posted by ukdzine
    but surely that would depend on the company rather than the location?
    Nope, the geographical location of the servers mainly dictatates the pings times (of course there are other factors that can make a very small difference).

For instance, it takes 20 - 30ms to ping a UK or EU server, whereas it takes between 140 - 200ms to ping a US server. Its the distance the ping has to travel. The ping to the UK would be smaller from East side USA then West side USA for this reason

Think of it like an airoplane. It takes just an hour to fly to France, whereas it takes 4 - 8 hours to fly to the US dependent on where abouts you are going.

For most customers, the ping times dont matter anyway, so long as they are around 200ms or less. Without sounding harsh, a lot of customers would not know what a ping time was anyway, never mind be worried about how good or bad they are.

5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

true. But it still wouldn't really affect much to the average customer would it? That is my point. But you did make some good and relevant posts.

And as you say, alot of customers don't know what a ping is so why do they worry so much about getting a "close to home" server apart from if they need alot of phone support (which to be honest if they do, then they cannot be with a good company) or are co-locating.

Another thing that I couldn't get my head around was a end-user on another forum who was in america looking for a UK server... what is the point in that?

PING is king for game servers or any other types of services that require little or no latency. Many people like the Southwest TX area because its central in the US and has MANY b/w providers coming through here. Just need to worry about the damn tornados

well some times there are some legal things regarding where to have your server depend on what you want to store on it, there was a guy here looking for a server in UK looks like the auditors asked for this.

beside the ping for the game servers and might some feel more secure closer the server is. well nothing else comes to my mind.

my self i dont care where the server is as it is not in my bed room then all are the same for me. just keep off site backups here and there, dont keep the eggs in one basket then sleep tight.

Originally posted by ukdzine
    true. But it still wouldn't really affect much to the average customer would it? That is my point. But you did make some good and relevant posts.

And as you say, alot of customers don't know what a ping is so why do they worry so much about getting a "close to home" server apart from if they need alot of phone support (which to be honest if they do, then they cannot be with a good company) or are co-locating.
    No, it wouldnt affect the customer, I never said it would

I myself utilize US based hosting and streaming servers and have never had any problems or complaints because of it. I have had people ask if there is any chance we would be migrating to EU or UK based servers, but not complaining.

However, a low ping is essential for game servers and corporate sites

Yeah. I know you never said that, i was just saying.

But I did say average customer, sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

And when I said location I didn't mean exact location, I just meant country! I was talking intercontinental customers (maybe I should have said that?!) :| hhmmmm

And also i'd like to add... i'm talking about virtual hosting customers wanting to know where YOUR dedicated server (or just server) is. I didn't really know where to post this but figured here seen as though the virtual forum would be more about the virtual packages and companies rather than companies servers. Man, I'm getting myself confused now - mind you its easily done

a network "ping" is much like a sonar "ping". It tells us if something exists and how long it takes for the signal to come back.

The size of a ping is VERY small and while it can tell use how quickly can respond, it does not tell us what the bandwidth is between the two points.

Even with a slower ping time, if the bandwidth between the two points is greater, it will normally be faster. Ever noticed how you can download things faster from the likes of Microsoft with HUGE bandwidth, yet a greater ping time, than from a local, smaller website, even though the ping time is less?

Ping only tells you how quickly it can respond, not how much information can be carried down the line.

As long as you are with a reliable host with good bandwidth, your customers won't notice the difference, afterall, so many of the websites they visit will be overseas anyway.