Thread: Cobalt Raq's

Cobalt Raq's

do people still use theese in the hosting industry?

James

Yes. Many people are still using these and some now using them on alternative hardware since the control panel has been released as open source.

Would I rec. these -- no as support for all raq products will soon end.

We save you time, money, and frustration by handling the server management tasks required to run an online business successfully.
    No prodding required. We just do it right the first time. Red Hat, MySQL, Plesk, and cPanel certified staff.

Xeonhosting,

The cobalt community is still very active and will be in the future when Sun drops all support. I know there is a Blue Quartz project open.cobaltqube.org that is in the works in Japan but im not sure about support for that. Another project of former cobalt support and developers are launching www.opencobalt.net - and they do offer support. You will need to do a search on google who will be supporting the cobalt's. There should be a bunch out there.

Also is it worth getting some colbat raq's for low end hosting?

James

I acquired a RaQ several months ago to dink around with for learning purposes.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

As of Aug. 2004, We no longer recommend Raq's as hosting platforms. Raq 3's have several security issues that for which fixes are not readily available. Raq 4's have some minor security issues and a couple of local root exploits. The 550's fair much better but soon their time will be up.

We have noticed several support groups trying to keep the Raq products alive; however, if these companies do not find a cost-effective way to update/secure the underlying OS, then your TCO will continue to rise.

We try to release update software when we can but with the aging OS on the Raq 3/4's it is difficult to build new packages in a cost-effective manner.

I know several groups that were able to condense servers by migrating 2 raq systems into one newer system, thus saving money while gaining a newer OS with more hosting features in their control panel.

We save you time, money, and frustration by handling the server management tasks required to run an online business successfully.
    No prodding required. We just do it right the first time. Red Hat, MySQL, Plesk, and cPanel certified staff.