Just Starting ...

hi everyone,
    im Killian and im thinking about buying and selling domains. i am quite intersted in doing this using eNom.com. So what do i need? a reseller account etc? this is what i need help on. also how much does it cost to setup and are there cheaper alternatives. Well that it if anyone can you guys can!

Killian
    Note: Not all teens are the same and should not be generalised.

Hi Killian,

Take a look at DRAMS. It comes in two versions with hosting or without. I have been using their software for nearly a yea now abd am very happy with it. Best of all as you want to use enom, they offer you a FREE $7.95 enom reseller account when you join.

Good luck.
    Last edited by kohashi; 02-14-2004 at 11:07 PM.

Enom Accounts come in many flavors, the lowest is 6.95 and the highest? Well... never had anyone request a 20$ reseller account so I am not sure. The highest you will get from enom or most resellers is 8.95. Getting directly from enom costs the following downpayment:
    8.95 = $495
    7.95 = $3950
    6.95 = $6950

This is why many people buy accounts second hand under other resellers.

Alternatives to enom:
    www.directi.com
    www.onlinenic.com
    www.tucows.com (OpenSRS)
    www.dotster.com (Instant Reseller)
    www.wildwestdomains.com

just visit www.internic.net/alpha.html and most registrars have some sort of affiliate/reseller program.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

hey,
    thanks for your advise!

Killian
    Note: Not all teens are the same and should not be generalised.

to resell domains you really need to decide if you're going to handle it all from your site/service or go through a link into someone elses. i.e. resell or be an affiliate ...

as an example, enom will allow you to do both, by using their api and something like drams you can regsiter from your site, but you have to pre-purchase "credits" which get spent on the registrations (make sure you do good fraud screening to stop people spending your credits with stolen c/cards etc)

or you can use the enom registry rocket and simply pocket the difference between your "buy" price and end-user "sell" price as commission every few months.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

There is also enom's PDQ which is a more advanced version of the Registry-Rocket, but costs $99/year.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

Originally posted by othellotech
    to resell domains you really need to decide if you're going to handle it all from your site/service or go through a link into someone elses. i.e. resell or be an affiliate ...

as an example, enom will allow you to do both, by using their api and something like drams you can regsiter from your site, but you have to pre-purchase "credits" which get spent on the registrations (make sure you do good fraud screening to stop people spending your credits with stolen c/cards etc)

or you can use the enom registry rocket and simply pocket the difference between your "buy" price and end-user "sell" price as commission every few months.
    Can I send the difference to a paypal account?

You can also checkout Whoiscart.net
    It works with enom, Tucows(opensrs) and directi
    Toeki - a Fikarast Co., Ltd. business (Accredited .WS & CentralNIC Registrar)
    We accept PayPal, Bank Transfers and all crypto currencies (BTC, ETC, LTC ...etc)
    █Domain Registration http://www.toeki.net

No ...

Article: A100144

How do I get money out of my eNom reseller account? Where is my commission?
    All commissions earned from your Registry Rocket or PDQ transactions will be placed in your commission account. After the 90-day charge back window is closed, your available commission balance is increased.

You have the ability to move this money to your account balance, or have a check issued, whichever you prefer. When you have "available balance" the options will be displayed.

Please note, all checks are issued in U.S. Dollars. We are unable to send funds via wire transfer
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Originally posted by kohashi
    This is why many people buy accounts second hand under other resellers.
    I have been researching the reseller biz for some time now and I discovered that those "old" sub-accounts that are not in line with the eNom $8.95 policy <I feel the flames coming from this already> are actually illegal once they are sold or transferred from the original account holder. I'm calling eNom Monday myself because if they were to ever exercise the "hammer" on all the sub-accounts that get sold and re-sold many people would be out of luck.

as an ETp we asked this question and we have been informed by our account manager @ enom that they "are looking to phase out the older under $8.95 accounts" but no details were given ...

wow and i was about to buy a $6.95 account

phase out ? you mean all sub 6.95 accounts will be raised to 8.95?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

From what I understand to be able to use the "grandfather" clause on sub-accounts less than 8.95 you need to be the person who orginally received the account. Very easy to tell when these things change hands. For example, the first person to have the account lives in Florida and then somebody in Canada owns the account and then (sorry Bashar) somebody in Kuwait owns the thing.
    I'm not trying to stir the pot and this may never happen but after seeing how many times these sub-accounts change hands on some of the forums and how people manipulate the pricing structure made me realize I better investigate this before I lose $250, $300, and even $500 on a 6.95 sub-account. Like I said above, I am also calling eNom to see what they say about the matter.

Originally posted by Bashar
    phase out ? you mean all sub 6.95 accounts will be raised to 8.95?
    from what i gather, although have nothing in writing to confirm ...
    all ETP's to only be able to create 8.95 accounts
    all unused "old" sub 8.95 accounts closed
    no ability to lower sub account pricing to below 8.95
    no changes to ownership details of old sub accounts
    contacting the owners of sub accounts (which come close to the 500/1000 domains levels) to get them to become resellers(etp) not sub-accounts

*possbly* closing sub-8.95 sub-accounts - thats the bit they would like but is unconfirmed "too much fraud with the reselling of 6.95 accounts and too many problems with sub-accounts of sub accounts" i was told - so raising the prices to the standard 8.95 level is also a possibiliity.

I do not think that they will close active accounts.
    Quality web hosting PullHost.com