Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Great post.
    Tnx.
    But, plz tell me how can I start my domain business?
    Last edited by Bashar; 09-06-2004 at 07:36 AM.

there is many posts about this, and you may post a new thread to discuss this issue too

I could not follow the process of domain transfer. Can anyone explain it in lehman's language

Originally posted by Neo1901
    I could not follow the process of domain transfer. Can anyone explain it in lehman's language
    1. Domain is at registrar A and you want to move it to registrar B.

2. Unlock the domain at registrar A (STATUS: ACTIVE - instead of STATUS: LOCKED which appears in the WHOIS)

3. Go to registrar B and initiate a transfer. (pay, setup account, etc)

4. registrar B emails administrative contact on the WHOIS asking for a confirmination that the transfer is to occur.

5. Confirm the transfer via email and whatever other methods described in the email.

6. Wait a bit (up to a few days) and it should transfer. On a side note, A domain cannot be transferred within 60 days of registration/transfer.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP performance

The best guide on net .....how come u ppl are so efficient its pleasur to be on this forumn .....

Originally posted by vagabond007
    The best guide on net .....how come u ppl are so efficient its pleasur to be on this forumn .....
    Glad you found it helpful
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP performance

Nameservers

Is this a good place to ask about Nameservers?

I am trying to find out exactly WHO maintains the NameServer registrations. Is it ICANN or InterNic or my registrar or even multiple authorities?

Are there rules about maintaining the nameserver entries intact when Transferring the domain they are part of?

For example, if I have domain.abc and I register ns1.domain.abc and ns2.domain.abc, who maintains that information?

Then if I transfer domain.abc, what happens to the nameserver registrations?

Thanks very much!

A Clarification Please, Kevin

May I please ask for a clarification, Kevin? This FAQ and answer:

Q: How do I make sure my domain is not hijacked and is safe?
    A: There is no 100% secure way to do anything online. You can take measures to make it very difficult for anything to happen such as using a strong password (long, alphanumeric passwords tend to be some of the strongest). Remember to change your password regularly. Other things that can be done to help secure the domain is to turn on ‘Registrar-Lock’ feature.

Is this question about site security, or the actual stealing of a domain name?

Thank you.

People will sit up and take notice of you if you will sit up and take notice of what makes them sit up and take notice.

nameservers are managed by root servers (verisign runs them).

as far as domain security, i am referring to the domain name being hijacked, not your website hacked. both are possible though.

Thank You, but ...

I do appreciate the response, but I am still confused. What do you mean a domain name being "hijacked"? Can't we just use the word "stolen"? So then I am wondering what the purpose is of "domain name registration" if the name can still be stolen?

Better yet, just how could I start another site called "WebHostingTalk Forums"? That would be "hijacking/stealing" a domain name, yes?

Thank you for the having patience with this simple country fella.
    People will sit up and take notice of you if you will sit up and take notice of what makes them sit up and take notice.

11. great set of FAQ's. thanks for the time of putting it together.

When I say hijacked it is the same as stealing in principle, just the terminology used for domain names. You buy a car to drive it around but it can still be stolen, same principle. You buy something to use it, just because you pay doesn't mean you are immune to bad things happening.

If you copied a website like this one it isnt hijacking or stealing (unless you took all content too), we're talking about actually taking the domain name, webhostingtalk.com. If you took control of this domain name by some illicit means, that would be hijacking.

Hope that clears things up, sorry for the delayed response

Very nice FAQ.

i think i haven't seen it but can we add this question:
    how long does it take for a domain to propagate?

thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Posts from theWHIR.com