hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : Quality service vs. Quantity service?

Forum Jump

Quality service vs. Quantity service?

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2004, 11:34 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quality service vs. Quantity service?

Is it really better to offer a more quantity service(more space, bandwidth, bad support, etc vs. less space, bandwidth, better support, etc.) vs. a quality service?

My logic behind this is by looking at the big boys - Hostrocket, powerweb, 1and1, etc. Yes, there are a few sucessful quality hosts, but i'd say the majority of the big boys are the quantity hosts.

Opinions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Good question, right now i am doing quality service instead of quantity service. I am interested in finding out which is better business wise.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Web Hosting Master

Well I've seen first hand that Quantity sells its self.. where as for quality it would take a lot harder to work on...

-Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2004, 12:14 AM
Web Hosting Master

But take a look at some of the other big boys, maybe the less prominant ones (httpme for example) who are quality hosts, and they seem to be doing just as good.

Quantity hosts need to market/advertise constantly in order to keep getting clients. Quality hosts just need to do their thing (provide quality) and the clients will come in droves via word-of-mouth.

Personally, I would rather have good word-of-mouth referrals than a banner on WHT for a couple months.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:18 AM
Web Hosting Master

As a customer, I'll say that Quality is all that important and what sets a good site from the others.

With Quality service, you do not need to work too hard to promote your business because when you have satisfied customers, they will be your agents who would promote your business for you. 3rd party first-hand experience and review would be value above what the web host own's claims.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Re: Quality service vs. Quantity service?

Quote:
Originally posted by dbbrock1
Is it really better to offer a more quantity service(more space, bandwidth, bad support, etc vs. less space, bandwidth, better support, etc.) vs. a quality service?

My logic behind this is by looking at the big boys - Hostrocket, powerweb, 1and1, etc. Yes, there are a few sucessful quality hosts, but i'd say the majority of the big boys are the quantity hosts.

Opinions?
If you want to be "big" then I guess quantity is the key .

But as a 'quantity host' you have to take immense care about quality of your services and about automating everything you can. Otherwise you will not survive heavy growth.

Customer Support is very difficult, too. Servicing 100,000+ or even 1,000,000+ customers is a very special task. You need a perfect organisation behind that.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:46 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

I would imagine that it would be very difficult to host 100,000 sites and be considered a quality host. With that many clients, there will have to be some that are unhappy for one reason or another. It would also be very difficult to have any personal relationships, something that I see most quality hosts doing.

Just my thoughts, I've still got a couple hundred thousand accounts to go before I really have to worry about this....

Old 01-27-2004, 12:58 AM
Web Hosting Master

From what I have been reading seems Quality would be better then Quanity.

I would rather have a client paying $20.00 then 10 clients paying $2.00.

Though when you have Quality Clients they exspect to have Quality Services, and Quality Support.

Old 01-27-2004, 01:08 AM
Web Hosting Master

Everyone has different views on this. Personally, I prefer quality over quantity anyday. Why? In the end, your work will be paid off and your clients will be happy with the service and support in which you give.

Old 01-27-2004, 01:12 AM
Web Hosting Master

It would definitely be difficult but it is not impossible. I believe as long as the tech support and service quality grows at the same rate as the sales growth, it will work out fine.

From what I understand here, 1&1 targets local markets and supports them, in this way they could control their growth while still providing the needs of the local market.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:25 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quality service, or find a place in the middle

Old 01-27-2004, 10:37 AM
Build It Better!

I certainly do not define the *big boys* by the number of servers or clients they have. In my opinion the *big boys* are the ones that remain debt free and have the largest numbers in black ink at the end of the year. They are probably not the ones in your list either...

Which million dollar company is more intelligent, the Company that grosses $10,000 per server with 100 servers and 1000 clients or the company that grosses $1000 per server and has 1000 servers with 10,000 clients? Which one would have lower overhead? Which one has fewer clients resulting in less support issues? Which one has the better profit margins?

Intelligent consumers want and will pay for quality....

Old 01-27-2004, 04:03 PM
Web Hosting Master

I was waiting for a discussion on this....sorta fits my title

Through my experience Quality clients will always be better in the long run than quantity clients. Quality realizes the service offered while quantity is only looking for the better deal, and could move at any time.

Old 01-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Web Hosting Guru

When we first started out, we concentrated on business clients who would pay us up to $200 a month for hosting and support. That gave us a good base from which to grow and we have been in the black since Day-1.

Last year, we decided to go into retail hosting and determined that we had to have value pricing to attract the kind of customer we were going after now. That has worked out very well also and we continue to see growth and profitability.

I think it is very possible to provide good service and a good value at the same time in the hosting business. That's what we aim for and I would like to think we are keeping our customers happy by doing so.

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

Old 01-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Web Hosting Master

Re: Quality service vs. Quantity service?

Quote:
Originally posted by dbbrock1

Opinions?
I say do both -- provide quality service in large volumn. Make money
and keep your customers happy at the same time. Win, win, win.

SingleHop, Inc.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Data Center Catharsis: Relax, There's Enough Cloud for Everyone Blog 2013-06-05 10:13:42
Learn How to Build Storage Architecture to Guarantee QoS in SolidFire Webinar Blog 2013-03-26 12:45:56
Lead Generation Part 4 – Go it Alone Blog 2013-03-25 09:16:50
Quality Technology Services Expands into Sacramento with Herakles Data Center Buy Web Hosting News 2013-01-03 11:26:35
Lead Generation Part 1 – Form Fills Blog 2012-11-16 09:03:48