hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Advertising Forums : Web Hosting Related Offers & Requests : Other Offers & Requests : Lets write a book on hosting!

Forum Jump

Lets write a book on hosting!

Reply Post New Thread In Other Offers & Requests Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2004, 04:45 PM
Web Developer

Lets write a book on hosting!

After reading a previous thread, where no one could really find a good book, I say we all get together and write a book. Publish through Wrox or O'Reilly if we could, and make $20 or $30. (total)

Notice to Consumers
Thread Summary Please be aware that every offer has limits beyond what is displayed in the thread. You should visit the site advertising and read any Terms of Service or Acceptable Use Policy they have in place. If you can't find answers on how they measure what you're purchasing, ask. If the offer or request doesn't regard some type of hosting, you still need to research beyond what’s printed in the ad.
  • Research any provider to know what limits are in place, especially with any offer concerning disk space and/or bandwidth. These are generally defined in the TOS or AUP.
  • Read provider reviews. If you find no reviews, create a thread and ask for others' first-hand experience with the provider.
  • If you're unsure on the exact details of an offer - ask. Simply respond to this thread and ask the provider for clarification.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2004, 05:02 PM
Web Hosting Guru

I'm willing to help with this, I've been searching for a subject to write a book on, to help fund my trip through college (1 class, $900).

I've been told I'm a good writer, and I defently have the knowledge on hosting - so yeah, count me in... Just PM me with any more details or with your aim/msn name to discuss this further.

Old 01-26-2004, 05:37 PM
WHT Addict

defently - you rite gud. heh heh j/k

High End Dedicated Game Servers

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Web Hosting Master

I'd help. I may not be a host but I am familiar with the industry.

EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

Old 01-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Keep rockin' in the free world

If anything ever gets off the ground, contact me, I run webhostgear.com

Thanks

Old 01-26-2004, 06:15 PM

I'd be willing to help as well, primarily as an editor and/or offer a few tips on design principles for successful websites.

Old 01-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Hmm I'm starting to think this is really quite a good idea - have 6-7 maybe 8 people working on different parts of the book, each person to what they're good at.

Just hope I'm picked to help write it , I have way too much free time on my hands; and a lot of experience in the hosting biz.

Old 01-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Temporarily Suspended

I have worked in Server Administration for a few years now, contact me at adamtuttle@cogeco.ca and I can pitch in also.

Old 01-26-2004, 06:56 PM
Disabled

I believe there are a lot of ebooks on the industry, not sure how good they are but I don't think there are any real published books about web hosting that are out now.

Old 01-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Published would be the best, in my opinion - can you curl up with a good eBook, next to a fire? - maybe everyone on WHT can pitch something in.. Obviously not any "trade secrets" but defently some good material that would help people get into business.

Can I just say, one more time, that I REALLY want to be a "full-time writer" on this book?

Old 01-26-2004, 07:36 PM
working on it

ok but somebody has to be the author....so:

Master WebHosting Techniques
Vol I

By
Professor Al Gore,
BSc, BE, Msc, MCA, DBM, MBA, BA, MA, CE,CA
Inventor of the Internet,
Vice President and Faculty Member, Department of Internet Studies, American Institute of Advanced Technologies

Old 01-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Web Developer

I think the main advantage to writing a book would be that it would have a broad range of opinions in it and tie together the community by having something it produced. I agree with the fact that it should be published -- something tangible to offset the millions of bytes of data we're reading now. We don't need trade secrets, but more, suggestions to help develop your own secrets.

RajanUrs:

Old 01-26-2004, 07:47 PM
WHT Addict

I'd be interested in doing such a project. Please contact me, i'm on your im (syntax)

Old 01-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Web Developer

I don't want to IM anyone since I don't want to head this. I was bringing it up as an idea if iNet or someone else wanted to front it.

Old 01-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Temporarily Suspended

Well I will be willing to front this, if anyone wants to get together and do this send me an email to adamtuttle@cogeco.ca

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Ideal-Hosting UG Listing 2014-01-06 19:15:27
Cloud News Links for November 25, 2013 Blog 2013-11-25 15:43:25
Canadian Web Hosting Improves SSD Caching for Shared Hosting Servers Web Hosting News 2013-09-04 13:47:24
Massive Change to the Web Culture is Just around the Corner, Offering Exciting Opportunities to Hosters Blog 2013-03-28 07:50:12
Phoenix NAP Responds to Customer Feedback with New Cloud Features Web Hosting News 2013-02-19 17:09:09