What is mambo? Free and open-source! www.mamboserver.com
The following instructions or on how to do a manual install, which I always recommend. There are so many other ways to do it, this is just the best IMHO for anyone who have little or no experience.
1. To begin with, download the zip file from either of the sites above.
2. Unzip the files locally.
Upload to your website, keeping the directory stucture the same.
3. Delete the folder 'installation' on the server.
4. In the documentation folder you will find a file called install. CHMOD all the files and folders listed (this is always to be done recursively.)Link: How to CHMOD
5. Create a new Mysql database, and in phpmyadmin (or SSH etc) insert the file mambo.sql (before you upload this, uncomment - (remove the #) out the last few lines of the file like this
INSERT INTO `mos_users` VALUES (62, 'Administrator', 'admin', 'admin@wherever', '21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3', 'superadministrator', 0, 1, 25, '2003-11-11 00:00:00', '0000-00-00 00:00:00');
INSERT INTO `mos_core_acl_aro` VALUES (62,'users','62',0,'Administrator',0);
INSERT INTO `mos_core_acl_groups_aro_map` VALUES (25,'',62);
#INSERT INTO `mos_users` VALUES (63, 'Editor', 'editor', 'editor@wherever', '5aee9dbd2a188839105073571bee1b1f', 'editor', 0, 0, 20, '2003-11-11 00:00:00', '0000-00-00 00:00:00');
#INSERT INTO `mos_core_acl_aro` VALUES (63,'users','63',0,'Editor',0);
#INSERT INTO `mos_core_acl_groups_aro_map` VALUES (20,'',63);
and sampledata.sql into the newly created db. - these files are in the sql folder of the zip file.
6. Rename the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess if you wish to use SEF URL's
Edit the file configuration.php.dist and modify the required fields. These include website title, path, time offset and many other settings. Most important are the databse user/pass etc. Ensure you enable SEF URL's if you renamed htaccess. 1 is on 0 is off.
Save the file as configuration.php and upload. Make sure you CHMOD this file to the correct settings as specified in the install file.
8. If everything goes according to plan your site should now be operational at www.yourdomain.com.
You can login to the admin back-end by going to www.yourdomain.com/administrator
be sure to change this ASAP in usermanager
You now have a working Mambo site.. the options are now unlimited.
An excellent resource is www.mamboportal.com
BTW I am in no way affiliated with Mambo (wish I was) I have used it extensively and feel it is an excellent product that more and more people should look into.
<<CL Edit: Edited to include link to How-To CHMOD>>