Originally posted by kevinL
PS...already read responses from cartika.com have been most useful, but a tad skewed to current knowledgable users. I am still in the concept stage.
I apologize, but my intention was not to skew my comments toward "knowledgable" users only.
To answer your questions:
- selecting hosts which work with osCommerce does not necessarily limit the # of hosts available, as most will offer it and support it to the extent that it will "run on the server". However, selecting a host that specializes in osCommerce will limit the # of hosts available.
- Hosts that specialize in osCommerce will generally offer more base support then those that simply ensure it runs on the server.ie) how to add products, how to change tax zones, etc..) - however, they will charge for any modification not included in their "version/snapshot" of osCommerce - usually they will offer many modules for free with their "snapshot" of osCOmmerce (example of module additions - ready to integrate with many payment gateways, multiple images per product, quick price updates on one screen, UPS/FedEX/Canadian shipping modules, ability to accept PO's, etc..)
What I would recommend is determine what criteria are most important to your business and meet the criteria of the product/service you will be selling. Do you require multiple images for every product you sell. Do you have a lot of repeat customers which demand you have credit terms established for them and want the ability to purchase with Purchase Orders - rather the credit cards, do you want real time shipping quotes from UPS? If you will be accepting credit card transactions, you need to figure out which payment processor or merchant account you want to use.
Do a search on google for "osCommerce Hosting" or "osCommerce Support"
Contact each company and ask them:
- what module additions are included with their snapshot
- How much do they charge for a custom module addition
- How much do they charge for "branding"
- How much support is included with osCommerce on their base hosting packages
- How much are their upgraded support packages and what do they include
- Do you support XYZ payment processor or merchant account?
If No... How much will it cost to create or install that module?
I hope this helps, and please do not hesitate in asking more questions if you require any further clarrification.