* Hostway now offers Unlimited bandwidth

I just can't believe it. I am shocked!!

The horror, the horror
      0 Not allowed!

where do you get the unlimited connection to host their clients ?
      0 Not allowed!

Do they have moneyback guarentee?
    How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL
      0 Not allowed!

Too back they don't have unlimited hard drives, lol
    How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL
      0 Not allowed!

I think it is a huge, bad move on their part...I just don't know what they are thinking.
      0 Not allowed!

Have you checked their ToS? They probably have a cop-out...
    » OmegaSphere - http://www.omegasphere.net/
    » Vancouver co-location, Managed Services, Shared Hosting, SSL Certificates, Domain Names
    » Your IT Experts - Located in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada
    » 604-618-0543 - 866-618-0543 - support@omegasphere.net
      0 Not allowed!

It says nothing about unlimited bandwidth, it only mentions unlimited traffic (i just looked at their index though). It's not because a bunch of hosts use the wrong term to indicate their traffic that it's right definition.

You can offer unlimited traffic when the bandwidth is sorta limited and burstable at the same time (like 5mbit burstable).
    Most people use unmetered bandwidth because of the misconception of the word bandwidth which is basically the same as unlimited traffic.
      0 Not allowed!

In response to Eric, even though you may have burstable traffic, traffic is still limited depending on the volume. Otherwise, no website would suffer from DDoS attacks.
    Have you Floble'd today?
      0 Not allowed!

You can't have burstable traffic, only burstable bandwidth. Bandwidth is the size of the pipe. Traffic is the water going through the pipe.

It's the same with home connections, you have for instance a 1 mbit (which is the bandwidth) connection with unlimited traffic and i don't see anybody complaining about that. So a host can definitely advertise with unlimited traffic, just not with unlimited bandwidth.
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 11-10-2003 at 07:20 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

See this is why I love this place. You people may not realize it but you are going to end up being my saviors, as in saving me from making a bad choice.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by psydox
    See this is why I love this place. You people may not realize it but you are going to end up being my saviors, as in saving me from making a bad choice.
    Hostway are an AWESOME company,they have proven this in the past and continue to prove it dont write them of for this.
      0 Not allowed!

Even a 5 mbps, 10 mbps, 100 mbps, and so forth does have its limit. Also explain to me how one can pay for a 5 mbps connection for each account with a measly monthly payment from one customer

Point is they'll all be jammed on a few servers with 100+ others with unlimited bandwidth and space.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by PutNameHere
    Hostway are an AWESOME company,they have proven this in the past and continue to prove it dont write them of for this.
    I tend to agree through reputation. Hostway carved out a great product for themselves and have a lot of fans. To my mind it seems odd that they've decided to risk that reputation by suddenly appealing to 'the lowest common denominator' by going the *U word* route.

As they have ads here now I'm sure they have people browsing the forums. While I'm sure it'll be policy not to comment on company decisions via an open forum I do hope someone with access to the boardroom takes note of the general consensus here towards 'impossible expectations' and doesn't sell out Hostway's credibility by 'cooking the numbers' and tossing customers when they really turn on the juice.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.
      0 Not allowed!

I don't understand the big deal here...has anyone has an issue with not having enough connectivity at Hostway? I would like to hear from someone that has...
      0 Not allowed!

The big deal is that it is dishonest and unethical to offer unlimited transfer.
    Are you a hostway customer?
      0 Not allowed!

Do you guys think I could get away with this if I started a hosting company and offered "Almost Unlimited Burstable Bandwidth" lol
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ddent
    Have you checked their ToS? They probably have a cop-out...
    It's just a marketing gimmick. I don't know why they don't have the guts to lay down some hard limits for bandwidth. Fear, imo.

The same goes for those "Umetered bandwidth" hosts too, [and no, I'm not referring to ded server suppliers with unmetered bandwidth capped from a 10mbps port].

Read the TOS for those hosts that offer unmetered/unlimited bandwidth. They have the TOS nailed down so damn tight, that only Aunt Bessy's knitting website would qualify for their "Unmetered bandwidth".

Lame, very lame indeed.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

its quite sad to say , but their standard totally dropped after the unlimited bandwidth thingy , uptime is very very badly affect

read my latest review on them ....

FYI i used to be a happy customer till they offer the unlimited bandwidth thingy and sever really sucks now
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by JWise
    Do you guys think I could get away with this if I started a hosting company and offered "Almost Unlimited Burstable Bandwidth" lol
    No. It's bad business practice and it will end up biting you in the ... in the end.
      0 Not allowed!