hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : Hard drive copy - Please help

Forum Jump

Hard drive copy - Please help

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2001, 06:41 PM
WHT Addict

Hard drive copy - Please help

Well, this is my problem. A client of mine has a dedicated server with many valuable datas. He colocates on a NOC where it's impossible to backup hard drives. So I suggested him to put a second hard drive in his dedicated server. Do you know if there is any software which can copy (on the fly without rebooting the computer) the first hard drive to the second so that if the first hard drive burns he'd be able to ask his host to put the second one and restart the web server in few minutes ?

Please help ! Okay, I know that if his NOC burns the second hard drive will be useless

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2001, 07:09 PM
Complete Newbie

You might want to have at least RAID 1 solution. The way RAID 1 works is that it will write any bit of your data to two different HDs (called mirroring). That way when the first HD crashes, you should not worry much (Except down time) since you have all of your data on the other drive.

But the thing, is the dedicated server RAID capable? If not, then yes ... you can just add a second HD and use cron job (every hour, every day, whatever you choose) to tar/zip or even just mere copy of your valuable data on the main HD to the second HD. In the event when your main HD crashes, all you need to do is to replace your main HD, reinstall the OS, and copy your valuable data from your other HD back to this main HD ...

Off-site backup is another solutions ... On-site backup to the NOC's tape backup is yet another solution ....

But anyway, I don't think the downtime would be in minutes region, unless it it is RAID

cheers,

Old 10-03-2001, 07:34 PM
WHT Addict

No RAID. I'm under Win2K. Any idea of a software that can replicate my first IDE drive to a second one ?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2001, 07:46 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

RAID works under Win2k

Old 10-03-2001, 07:53 PM
WHT Addict

My hard drives are IDE, no RAID card.

Old 10-03-2001, 08:55 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I believe it is included

I am in the middle of a w2k server cert class. We just went over this, and if I am not mistaken software based raid is built into w2k server. I will check it out...

Old 10-03-2001, 09:46 PM
Complete Newbie

Yes, I believe so ... but without any additional hardware? I thought you would still need a RAID controller like Promise RAID or something ...?

cheers,

Old 10-03-2001, 10:12 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

You don't need the hardware it just won't be as reliable.

Old 10-04-2001, 04:28 AM
WHT Addict

Quote:
I thought you would still need a RAID controller...
No, that's why it's called Software RAID I didn't know Windows supported this, but I've seen many Linux software RAID setups using just an on-board IDE controller an a couple of identical IDE drives... not as reliable, but it does the job. I'm sure the Windows implementation would be similar.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Seagate Q1 $3.49 B Earnings Fall Below Analyst Estimates as Storage Demand Continues to Grow Web Hosting News 2013-10-29 14:50:18
DDoS Attack Targets Web Drive Client, Brings Down Entire Network Web Hosting News 2013-07-18 10:51:24
Hostway Launches Cloud Drive and Cloud Backup Web Hosting News 2013-02-12 11:44:54
Zetta Launches Appliance-Free Hybrid Smart Cloud Backup Solution Web Hosting News 2012-10-23 16:29:27
Microsoft Acquires Cloud-Integrated Storage Provider StorSimple Web Hosting News 2012-10-16 17:10:45