Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Alright, alright, I know how to solve everyone's problem. Redo WHT using frames so the bar is static at the top of the site on every single page.

Originally posted by jstonehouse
    then you may as well have something to click to hide all the adverts on this website.
    I already have
    I didn't know WHT actually had any ad's untill I saw a screenshot someone posted.

See not being funny or anything the first thing i notice when I load it now is that ugly thing. You could at least blend it in.

Were the community here without us it would be one of those sites with hardly any visitors, I know you would "like" to keep it all the same, sure thats fine just blend it in. It's horrible like that at moment.

Not pleasing to the eye!

Afterthought - I see we have a split in views. After a few days or so it will be normal again, like with the new ev1 site. I hated that but now I see it so often it's fine for me -

Dan
    New Shared & VPS Offerings Coming Soon!

I would have prefered it intergrated into the header rather then just slaped on.. but oh well.
    Sir. John Leschinski | Graphics & Design | 1 (807) 274 3225
    www.platinum-hosting.com

Now as for some reason I can't edit my post again ???

After a bit it has seemed to blend it quite alot, I don't notice it as much so I would say give it a hour and you don't notice it anymore

Dan
    New Shared & VPS Offerings Coming Soon!

Originally posted by LetsGo-Dan
    . . .After a few days or so it will be normal again . .
    I'm sure. It will just be normal. The only difference is, you'll know it's there to use.

Now my daily trips to deleteddomains can start from here.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Wow, there sure are a lot of people who like to find something to complain about.

1. I never noticed the toolbar until I read this thread yesterday. Then I noticed it a bit.

2. Today I'd forgotten all about it until I saw this thread again.

3. iNet owns the site. Nothing wrong with cross-linking all their web properties. Frankly, it's the smart thing to do.

4. Be happy it's not like the popups at http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/ . Geez, you guys would flat out have a coronary...

5. For those who object to its color scheme, perhaps they should have an option in your Profile to pick from a selection of colors.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

This thread!
    Replies: 102
    Views: 1,455
    Absolutely amazing! Its funny, Ive been a member here since March,2000.
    The last big beef around here that I recall is when WHT (under their new ownership at the time) started running banner ads. Boy the gripes were posted then, just like now.There have been many other things also but that came to mind.
    Honestly people this is a public forum (FREE for you to use)
    Maybe things like this should only be discussed between the owners/staff of WHT and THEN announced.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

It looks good enough but I don't like it because I never visit any of those other websites... so its no use at all and a waste of about 30 pixels for me

Okay I got mixed thoughts from reading up this entire (currently) 8 page thread;

Firstly, as mentioned previously, it's 30px high. For those of you calling it a waste of space are you running at 640x480?!

Secondly, iNet have been highly successful in inciting high amounts of traffic via its cross-promotion of sites all of which are inter-related and all fit into three vertical markets.

Thirdly, yes they could just continue cross promoting via the banner advertisement spots like they have been doing for a while HOWEVER, think about it from an advertisement publishers point of view - if they can eliminate their own ads and have them somewhere else, there's more space available for an advertiser to come and purchase. Also the concept of consistency amongst sites is a great idea.

Fourthly, okay it may look a bit bad on the WHT design (i dont have a problem personally but im taking all your views into consideration); think about it this way. If they make it blue to easy blend in with WHT - what are the guys at the purple ProgrammingTalk.com going to do?

As Ryan said the iNet toolbar is here to stay and it beneficial to us all if you think about it the way guys such as Aussie Bob and SWR have done. Okay iNet own the place but you (the members) make this place what it is; therefore if you have a problem with it, do what most of you have done and try and think of ideas that will benefit you but still won't damage what iNet are trying to acheive - iNet may just listen to you and follow up on what you say.

Who would you listen to? Someone telling you that your new idea is total crap or someone telling you how to improve it?

Originally posted by Adam
    Okay I got mixed thoughts from reading up this entire (currently) 8 page thread;

Firstly, as mentioned previously, it's 30px high. For those of you calling it a waste of space are you running at 640x480?!

Secondly, iNet have been highly successful in inciting high amounts of traffic via its cross-promotion of sites all of which are inter-related and all fit into three vertical markets.

Thirdly, yes they could just continue cross promoting via the banner advertisement spots like they have been doing for a while HOWEVER, think about it from an advertisement publishers point of view - if they can eliminate their own ads and have them somewhere else, there's more space available for an advertiser to come and purchase. Also the concept of consistency amongst sites is a great idea.

Fourthly, okay it may look a bit bad on the WHT design (i dont have a problem personally but im taking all your views into consideration); think about it this way. If they make it blue to easy blend in with WHT - what are the guys at the purple ProgrammingTalk.com going to do?

As Ryan said the iNet toolbar is here to stay and it beneficial to us all if you think about it the way guys such as Aussie Bob and SWR have done. Okay iNet own the place but you (the members) make this place what it is; therefore if you have a problem with it, do what most of you have done and try and think of ideas that will benefit you but still won't damage what iNet are trying to acheive - iNet may just listen to you and follow up on what you say.

Who would you listen to? Someone telling you that your new idea is total crap or someone telling you how to improve it?
    Excellent post. Well put, I agree with everything you have said here.
    Jo Stonehouse - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256

I think it's an excellent additon to the site. What I'd like to see over time is a more site-centric integration, so the toolbar may store your most recent searches or provide a quick jump to subscribed threads. Little things that can make navigating WHT that much easier.

Just some thoughts. Nice work. It looks good, is non-intrusive, and fits nicely under my google toolbar.
    <!-- boo! -->

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    I'm sure. It will just be normal. The only difference is, you'll know it's there to use.

Now my daily trips to deleteddomains can start from here.
    I just went to dbforums.com from the bar, looked around but it looked big and scarey so I hightailed it back to WHT!

Ahhhhh, much better!
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    I just went to dbforums.com from the bar, looked around but it looked big and scarey so I hightailed it back to WHT! Ahhhhh, much better!
    You Aussies are such wimps. Actually, I went there....and it was all too technical and boring and stuff I have little knowledge of...so I came back here to harass you.

Well, the toolbar doesn't bother me. It is a business decision made by iNet, who, believe me, do not spend every day thinking on how to make our user experience worse. Actually, the opposite. So, if it is to be designed better (some more interactive maybe - like a rover menu), I would go along, no problem. I'm not using it either way.

But I do have to agree that iNet is a bit abusing the business model of WHT and is making this community too commercial. They have to look at the mission statement of their company and see whether they are using the synergies between their properties correctly, without killing the spirit of those comunities. I personally think iNet got enough publicity and exposure with the main page mention of the division of iNet Interactive and a bottom "explore the network" links. Isn't that enough?

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

They want us to explore the other communities. is that so bad?
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

and is making this community too commercial
    Can you elaborate on that? The only thing iNet has done since they bought the forums was add the bar at the top of the page. The forums are still free to use, just as they have been for 4 years now...

Akash, the toolbar is not the only one things they did. They added links to network sites on the bottom of the forum, which is totally fine by me. I just think that is enough linking. If a person is interested, he will click and check the site up, no need to make same links on top abnd bottom of the page.

But, as I said, I can live with that, its a business decision and I respect that.

By "too commercial" I meant that iNet is trying their hardest to make sure everyone is aware that it is them who own the forum, as well as other network sites. And linking to other sites is part of it. In my personal opinion - there is too much linking.

Before I came to WHT and all I saw was WHT and hosting forums. Now I come to this forum and part of my attention goes on seeing iNet name, iNet logo and links to other iNet sites.

Before I came to WHT and all I saw was WHT and hosting forums. Now I come to this forum and part of my attention goes on seeing iNet name, iNet logo and links to other iNet sites.
    Right - because all WHT was, was just that WHT. It was owned by a single person (MattF). Then he sold it to EV1/RS - who couldn't over-advertise; that would just destroy WHT's credibility. Nowt hat WHT is owned by an actual company; why shouldn't they have the right to put their name on one of their products?

i see nothing wrong with it... doesnt change my mind about this site nor does it hinder me from doing any of the things ive normally done on this site..
    FullMetalinc.
    aficionado - clothing division
    fullmetalgraphix - design division
    flawless ent. - management division

Akash, I'm not arguing about anything here. I accept the toolbar as it is.

Not saying you're arguing or don't accept it - just wanted to clarify some things i feel needed clarifying

Toolbar looks fine for me.

What I would do with WHT header if i were an owner (see attachment):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wht_scheme.gif  
    Alex

Took me a while to notice, but at least it isn't big enough to hold those micro button type ads.

Actually it looks very nice, not bad at all

Regards,
    Ali

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast