Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Akash
    Those of you saying "Horrible. What crap! Take it away. Stop changing the design. Geez." - can you offer some suggestions, to make it look better, assuming that it's probably going to stay there?
    Could there be maybe an option for registered members NOT to have to see it? That way new users can see it, and even visitors, but some people who dont want to see it, won't have to.

Or at least place it at the bottom.

Originally posted by jsjohnst
    The toolbar uses 30 pixels of screen space. How is that a horrible waste of space?
    Horrible was being used to emphasize the ugliness of it with regards to fitting in with the rest of the WHT design. Waste of space as in serving absolutely no real purpose for the WHT community.

I understand WHT is an investment for your company and you want to promote iNET on here. That is certainly acceptable and something you definitely should do. However, you could at least try to blend it into the current header instead of making it stick out like a dog collar around the community.

I'd have no quarrels if it was either part of the current header or at least matched the color scheme of the current header.

Inet interactive?

I just got home from work, and logged onto the forum, and I was like "Whoa! when did that happen?" I didn't notice it while I was at work...

When did the InetInteractive bar appear at the top of the page?

What a horrible addition. Always Inet.

Originally posted by jsjohnst
    The toolbar uses 30 pixels of screen space. How is that a horrible waste of space?
    As I've already mentioned, I don't find it that bad but technically it uses 30 pixels x 1024 pixels = 30,720 pixels. (1280x1024 screen resolution)

For all the complainers..............Who Cares?! It doesn't hinder anything and it doesn't change any way the forum operates. Your using the internet for God's sake, how can you not expect change? I just don't get how people can complain so much about something that is free! Give me a break!

If you had a network of related sites that you invested a small fortune in you would do the same thing. You can't ever miss a reasonable opportunity at promotion on the web and of all people web hosts should know that. Enjoy your free forum and stop complaining.

Is it just me?

Is it just me or is there this ugly task bar like thing at the top of the screen? did I get hit with some malware or is this a new icky add-on to WHT?

Interesting feedback. Let me answer the question about how does it benefit the WHT community?

Think about it folks. The iNET toolbar appears (or will soon, it has for sometime on many of our properties) on all of our websites with the purpose of adding exposure of our sites to visitors who may not know about them. And it does pay off. People who frequent dbforums.com now know about webhostingtalk.com and can possibly contribute or become addicted here. People who use WHT may learn about programmingtalk.com or yaxay.com or whatever. The end result is larger communities, more discussions, more sharing of information, etc. If that doesn't help WHT (and our other sites) then I must be as dumb as some people contend

Reading some of the posts in this thread you would have thought we just introduced a new 800x600 pop-up ad, for crying out loud. That's not coming until February!

Always iNET,

Ryan Elledge, President
    iNET Interactive

Not to worry mate, as soon as us Aussie officially take over WHT there will be several changes ... first to go will be all (read "nearly all") advertising. Second to go will be members that express opinions contrary to mine.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

oh wow i didnt notice it until now-
    josh

Originally posted by relledge
    Reading some of the posts in this thread you would have thought we just introduced a new 800x600 pop-up ad, for crying out loud. That's not coming until February!
    Of course only about 5% of WHT would be able to view it, but still funny.

I think a paid option that allows members in their control panel to disable certain elements would be nice. I actually like the iNet bar better than the banner, and the other elements. Just some more overdiscussed food for thought.

Interestingly enough, DanX, one of the sites that we acquired had the option of paying a membership fee and being able to surf the site without advertisements, etc. Not very many at all did it ... like <1% of the members. Wasn't very popular idea.

However, it is something we would consider implementing if the community desires such an option.

Always iNET,

Ryan Elledge, President
    iNET Interactive

Why wait till February. Do it ASAP. I should probably mention that I'd never see it thanks to Mozilla Firebird's built-in pop-up blocking.

Interesting feedback. Let me answer the question about how does it benefit the WHT community?

Think about it folks. The iNET toolbar appears (or will soon, it has for sometime on many of our properties) on all of our websites with the purpose of adding exposure of our sites to visitors who may not know about them. And it does pay off. People who frequent dbforums.com now know about webhostingtalk.com and can possibly contribute or become addicted here. People who use WHT may learn about programmingtalk.com or yaxay.com or whatever. The end result is larger communities, more discussions, more sharing of information, etc. If that doesn't help WHT (and our other sites) then I must be as dumb as some people contend

Always iNET,

Ryan Elledge, President
    iNET Interactive
    Only 800 x 600? I thought you said it would be big......

I, like you, can't believe....well I can believe, just don't want to....the hullabaloo over a small bar at the top of the page. I tend to immediately upon opening the page, roll my cursor down one roll, so I might never have seen it. You should think all those who are overreacting-they are insuring it is noticed.

People....get concerned about something of substance, not about a little piece of window dressing at the top. Another positive about it...I find it a very convenient way to visit the other sites, many of which I visit regularly.

Not going near the "dumb as some people contend" line....but this reaction is just incredible. I'll bet if you put a little orange dot near the bottom or something, people would go wild and say it should be a different color.

By the way, did you create your own or purchase the tool bar...I'm going to put some of those on some of my sites, now that I have seen it in operation.

Originally posted by LiveRack
    Why wait till February. Do it ASAP. I should probably mention that I'd never see it thanks to Mozilla Firebird's built-in pop-up blocking.
    Oh...it is designed with the latest technology to permanently disable all pop-up blocking and to pop up over and over at pre-selected times.

Designed in house, Incognito.

Always iNET,

Ryan Elledge, President
    iNET Interactive

Interestingly enough, DanX, one of the sites that we acquired had the option of paying a membership fee and being able to surf the site without advertisements, etc. Not very many at all did it ... like <1% of the members. Wasn't very popular idea.

However, it is something we would consider implementing if the community desires such an option.

Always iNET,

Ryan Elledge, President
    iNET Interactive
    That's odd. Of course, with WHT, it would be for two banners and two 'bars,' but regardless.. how much did you charge for the memberships? Just curious.

Originally posted by LiveRack
    Hmmm, ok, maybe one of those ever-popular 30 second full page ads before you can view? Would that be better?

Always iNET,

Ryan Elledge, President
    iNET Interactive

My only complaint is that it just distracts me from reading the first couple of posts - and that it looks like the stupid spyware stuff.

Here's an attachment of what of my eyes do when reading WHT now.

Sorry about the high optimization. I hate large attachments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails myeyes!.gif  

Originally posted by DanX
    That's odd. Of course, with WHT, it would be for two banners and two 'bars,' but regardless.. how much did you charge for the memberships? Just curious.
    We discountinued that offering when we purchased the site (though honor the restriction for those who purchased the lifetime membership). I believe they paid a one time fee of like $49 but I can't remember, for sure. The guy we bought the site from (which incidentally has virtually the same number of members as WHT), said it just wasn't worth it.

Always iNET,

Ryan Elledge, President
    iNET Interactive

Originally posted by inogenius
    My only complaint is that it just distracts me from reading the first couple of posts - and that it looks like the stupid spyware stuff.

Sorry about the high optimization. I hate large attachments.
    Wow. I think I would quit using the Internet if that happened to me!

Always iNET,

Ryan Elledge, President
    iNET Interactive

Hmmm, ok, maybe one of those ever-popular 30 second full page ads before you can view? Would that be better?
    Hey, I don't use it on WHT as I actually don't mind the discrete, targetted ad banners here but don't make me enable ad filtering in Mozilla too.

Wow. I think I would quit using the Internet if that happened to me!
    That'd probably be the wise thing to do, but I can't. I'm addicted.

Originally posted by inogenius
    You may want to look into this product inogenius.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast