Looking up sites hosted on nameserver

Hi,

I once knew how to do this but I seem to have misplaced the information. I need to look up which domain names are all pointing towards nameserver "X".

If you do not want to make the information public you can also PM it to me if you like.

The reason I need to do such a lookup is that I'm going to take a server offline that was my very first server and has been in operation for almost 3 years. During the first 1.5 years running as the primary DNS for all servers as well as hosting sites.

Before February 12th I'm going to take this (now old) server out of service but I know several domains on the other servers still use the DNS of this server. I don't feel much inclined to look up a thousend sites in the whois database to see if they still use this server for DNS but I also wouldn't feel too happy about a couple of dozen sites going offline when I shut down this server

Your help is much appreciated.

Many years ago, you could ask network solutions to send you a report on these.

Don't think they do that anymore.

At one time, you could also do an xfr of a few of the root server's zone files. Can't do that anymore.

I don't think there is a way of doing that, unless you knew all of the domains were in a certain TLD, and you could get the zone files for that TLD.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

www.whoissc/domainname.com
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Smile

Originally posted by Prism329
    www.whoissc/domainname.com
    I think it's whois.sc/domainname.ext

Appreciate the link guys but... unless I am overlooking something this is a normal whois lookup script?

Hang on. Sorry about that. I overlooked it. It's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Originally posted by Pilgrim
    Hang on. Sorry about that. I overlooked it. It's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
    I don't see it. Can you explain where that feature is?
    -Mark Adams
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.

After you enter a name server to check.. It will come up with a number of websites hosted on the server. Click on that number login etc to give you all the information.

Kind regards
    Phillip
    www.SURRENDERONLINE.com.au
    Perfect Solutions Every Time! Sydney Based :: Dedicated Servers :: Colocation :: Superior Support::Reseller Solutions

I don't see a place to enter a nameserver check. And my nameservers don't host web sites. Still very confused. Do you have to be a registered user or something?
    -Mark Adams

Whois.sc can show only domains in .com/.net/.org/.biz.info/.us zones hosted on specific IP. And also their data have very long update speed.

Some another solution for name-servers you can see here:
    http://reports.internic.net/cgi-bin/...ype=nameserver

You can check this way what shared and anonymous name servers are hosted on top real name-server ip.

11. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com