hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : $162 million Lotto ticket winner loses ticket

Forum Jump

$162 million Lotto ticket winner loses ticket

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

$162 million Lotto ticket winner loses ticket

SOUTH EUCLID, Ohio (AP) -- A Cleveland woman has told police she picked the winning numbers for the $162 million Mega Millions lottery jackpot but lost the ticket before the drawing, according to a police report.

Elecia Battle told police she dropped her purse as she left the Quick Shop Food Mart last week after buying the ticket. She said she realized after the drawing last Tuesday that the ticket was missing.

The Ohio Lottery said the winning ticket was sold at the store, about 15 miles east of Cleveland.

After news of Battle's police report spread Monday night, several people wielding flashlights walked through snow and braved frigid temperatures to try to find the ticket in the store parking lot.

"I decided to come back to see if I could find the winning ticket," said LaVerne Coleman, 57, who says she would keep the winnings if she found the ticket.

Police say Battle was in tears when she came to the station Friday to file the report and did not hesitate when asked to write down the winning numbers.

"We don't believe that she's fabricating it, but there's no real way of knowing other than going on her word," Lt. Kevin Nieter told Cleveland's WEWS-TV on Monday.

Nieter said information Battle knew about when the ticket was bought and how the numbers were picked make her story credible. She told police that the numbers -- 12, 18, 21, 32 and 46 and Mega Ball 49 -- represented family birthdays and ages.

The winning ticket was sold to someone who chose the numbers, not someone who let the machine pick.

Messages left with the police department seeking comment were not immediately returned.

Battle could not immediately be reached for comment. There was no telephone listing for her.

Nieter said Battle may be out of luck if someone else picked up the lone winning ticket.

"Whoever has the ticket has the right to stake the claim to the winning jackpot. You can file all the police reports you want but it's not going to help," he said.

Ohio Lottery spokeswoman Mardele Cohen said that if someone else came in with the ticket, Battle could try to get a temporary restraining order in court to block the winnings from being paid.

The winner has six months from the drawing to claim the largest jackpot in state history. If the money isn't claimed by June 27, it goes to Ohio and 10 other states that participate in the game.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Ouch - that's gotta suck

OnApp - Automate Everything, Everywhere.

Interested in OnApp? Give it a try with our 24 hour demo.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Sounds like fun... I'm there.

Maybe they'll film it and turn it into a reality show.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

What a loss.

If I found the ticket I'd cut her in. it's 163 million dollars. It'd be greedy not to.

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

That definitely sucks.

I got 2 numbers that day! WhoO!

Old
Junior Guru

ouch!

Old
An Awesome Dude

I feel bad for her......

I hope she finds it!!

The Dude

Old
Disabled

I hope she finds it as well...This has happened to me in the past but it was a $500 prize nevertheless

Old
Web Hosting Master

If I found it, I'd go claim the prize and then give her $100,000.01 for picking my winning numbers.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Whoa, sucks to be her.

Providing Fabulous Hosting and Unreal Web Design! Excellence is our focus.

Old
Web Hosting Master

One good reason I don't play the lottery.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

woh, I feel sad for the lady.. and even more so for those who tried to find it in the snow..

Old
Web Hosting Master

I'd give her the ticket, but I would just want 63 million dollars to invest in Kerry's Datacenter Center

Old
Web Hosting Master

I think I'd just give it back to her and not ask for anything. If she decided to be generous, then I wouldn't argue the point, but she rightfully picked the numbers, and bought the ticket. Although, I suppose she also lost it too, lol. Oh well, I'm nowhere near Ohio, so it doesn't matter.

Old
Web Hosting Master

God sometimes play awful pranks on people.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Google Domains: The Winner and the Losers Blog 2014-06-27 12:04:31
Australian Web Host Crazy Domains Irretrievably Loses Customer Data, Offering $100 Credit to Affected Accounts Web Hosting News 2014-05-20 10:56:27
Announcing the WHD.global VIP Pass Winner! Blog 2014-03-27 16:00:39
nginx Version 1.4.0 Supports SPDY Protocol Web Hosting News 2013-04-29 15:08:14
Apache Loses 9.9 Million Sites in Netcraft April 2013 Web Server Survey Web Hosting News 2013-04-03 14:42:33