Thread: Parked Domains

Parked Domains

What does this mean? If there parked can you still use them or are they just there if you pay a lil extra for them? I dont understand. Sorrie

They are domain parked on top of another.

ie domain1.com - main site...
    parkeddomain.com parked ontop of main site...

so parkeddomain goes to/resolves to domain1.com

By default mail from parkeddomain.com is sent to the default address of domain1.com

However there are many other scenarios.
    I barely understand my explanation, hope you do....
    Brad Baker www.rochen.com
    Rochen - True Premium Shared & Reseller Hosting since 2000
    Better Support: Expert support 24/7 from Red Hat and Cisco Certified Engineers
    Joomla! Core Team Member Joomla Tutorials

Maybe I can lend a hand here as I just explained this to a client.

you have your master domain. lets call it abc.com now abc.com has it own DNS and its own mail, and its own FTP.

Now you just went out and bought abc2.com because you like the name and its just cool to own more than one domain name.

However you want abc2.com to point to the same site that abc.com is.

Well for this you park the domain.

Once parked anyone who goes to abc2.com will see the same site as if they typed in abc.com

Mail in Cpanel can be set up to like the 2 domains. so user@abc.com and user@abc2.com

In Cpanel when you add email you will have the option to pick the domain that the mail account is for.

I currently have 4 clients using this option and aside from Cpanel getting picky with DNS at first it works well.

If you need two seperate domains, and want to share the space and bandwidth ask your host for the option to use Addon domains, there may be a charge for this but it will allow to share space and bandwidth for two completely different sites.

Did this help you?

-Steve
    Something goes here....I'm sure of it...

Customers and Providers understand it differently.

Back when I started hosting, DomainParking only meant using someone's nameservers to register a domain. DomainPointer meant pointing one domain to another.

Now, I've seen DomainParking being used interchangably with DomainPointing. But I'm sticking to the old-style... in any case, you can use any hosts nameservers and the provider won't even know or mind it. So, essentially DomainParking was always free.

DomainPointers used to be charged for till recently...now everyone's sort of including them free.

Ok....umm, yea. Thanx you guys. I don't really understand it all that good right now, but hopfully I'ma get it soon.

And the reason that I asked is because I was looking at http://valuablehost.com/hosting.html and http://lunarpages.com/plan1.htm and Lunar Pages lets you have 3 Parked Domains. If I may ask which place VHost or LP would be better? If I chose VHost it would be the 12.95 one and if LP 7.95

Picking a host is tricky. Do this

EMail both places and ask them to explain what parked domains means. Ask them what their clients use it for, and if they are willing to let you see examples of this in action.

What you are looking fo is who is the fastest to respond. This isnt a great way to measure support, however it will give you a idea. Most companies will answer pre-sales faster, and support slow so be warned here.

However the second point is: which one exlained it so you can understand it. who gave you a answer that helped you not confuse you.

This is the company I would go with. Price shoudl always be last when looking for a host, cause the lower price does not always mean the better deal. I would always spend more for quality then save a buck and loose out on it.

-Steve
    Something goes here....I'm sure of it...

Originally posted by BabyCheeks
    Ok....umm, yea. Thanx you guys. I don't really understand it all that good right now, but hopfully I'ma get it soon.

And the reason that I asked is because I was looking at http://valuablehost.com/hosting.html and http://lunarpages.com/plan1.htm and Lunar Pages lets you have 3 Parked Domains. If I may ask which place VHost or LP would be better? If I chose VHost it would be the 12.95 one and if LP 7.95
    you may want to read this http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...t=valuablehost

before going with VH. *STILL* waiting for an update about the other accounts which are, of course, still down.

8. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com