Exclamation **beware Of 49pence!!**

BEWARE OF 49Pence!!!!

Hi, my name is dbfreek, and I just got through w/ my account on 49Pence...

..Well actually they just deleted me.

which was quite rediculous considering the CHEAP ASS excuse that they gave me!

The package I purchased was y GUARANTEED unlimited space & bandwidth, but then I start using more space than the average Joe, b/c that is part of my job.

I work for a video editing company, and I am in charge of the web-development, so we needed a place to put everything, so I uploaded it... a 70mb file, which I compressed as much as I could and it came down to 57mb... It's still pretty big for the internet.

So, everything was going great....
    Then I receive an e-mail saying that my site was consuming a strange ammount of bandwidth and that I needed to fix this problem with in 3 days or my account would be deleted, so I say "oook WTF?!?... No problem I'll just talk to them"

30 Secconds later I realize that THAT wasnt the only e-mail they had sent that day. So I open the other e-mail, and it says that my account has been deleted, and their excuse was

You violated the terms of service by placing material that does not belong to you (copyright)

And THE ONLY thing I had, was the 57mb file THAT DOES belong to me b/c I work for the damn people and I manage all of their Internet problems!

So basically they cant handle people who are REALLY doing something w/ their web-sites trying to offer the best for their visitors.

So If you have plans on hosting BIG files that DO belong to you, or just build a nice site that you KNOW will recieve a good amount of traffic...

DO NOT GO w/ 49PENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you paying 49 pence for hosting ? Well, if you are, I would say you are too s****d and ignorant for believing that you can get everything unlimited for 49 pence.
    Eric

To correct Ericwenlong, their cheapest package was 49pence per week.

My friend went with 49pence, as it seemed a good deal... however, at the time they were a Fasthost reseller (I'm not sure if they still are or not). Still, they recently sent an e-mail to my friend saying they were moving servers, etc, etc and not to worry... the site may be down for a short time, but they would sort out getting it put on the new servers. Well, that was a couple of weeks ago - and all that time, the site has not been available. Bare in mind, this is a business site we are talking about here, which is two weeks of lost commerce and two weeks of bad impressions on potential customers.

Oh, dbfreek - if you have proof that you really do work for a Video Editing company and you have proof that you have the right to distribute this particular copyright material then you must contact 49pence about this... although, I've never seen many people who work for video edit companies that use terms like CHEAP ASS with Caps Lock on

Originally posted by reflexhost.com
    ... http://www.unlimitedtransfer.com
    Excactly.
    Too bad many people still believe this so called unlimited bandwidth trick,and they're falling for it.
    http://www.avalancheonline.net

Surely there must be some legal comeback... obviously, if someone signs up to a host that offers Unlimited Bandwidth (but has a nasty clause in the T+Cs) then there probably isn't much hope of legal action being succesful, but surely if a company is advertising Unlimited Bandwidth but not providing it there is a case for False Advertising (or something along those lines)?

You'd think that claim would warrant an automatic fine, wouldn't ya'?
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Smile thnx for all of the advice

To everyone who replied...

Thank you for giving me so many words of advice.

WaldoUK, just so you know... I DO work for the production company, but what you Do not know is that I am merely 16, therefore it is expected from me the "CHEAP ASS" in caps

I also own my own "Company"
    Its called FrEeK Designs, and I design web-sites and coustom graphix for $$$.

I would like to thank Mr. Reflexhost...
    I am very happy sice I signed up w/ them!

PLEASE, if you are looking for a good host... w/ good prices, check out reflexhost.net!

thnx Again!

Re: thnx for all of the advice

Originally posted by dbfreek
    WaldoUK, just so you know... I DO work for the production company, but what you Do not know is that I am merely 16, therefore it is expected from me the "CHEAP ASS" in caps
    LMAO!

I suppose that's ok then

Glad you got things sorted out... just to re-iterate, I wouldn't recommend anyone goes for 49pence!

I know that this is a tad bit lat to chime in, but I had to search on 49pence just to see if anyone had dealth with them before.

I set up a simple website for a major organization on there servers back in July. There service is like the ABSOLUTE WORSE in history, I mean sites stay down and down and down and their excuses are like well something I would make up for getting caught with my pants down by my wife . You know the "I have to say something, anything, blah,blah!!!".

Anyhow, needless to say I didn't stay with them long at all.

BTW - the only reason that I switched this one client over to them was the fact that I needed a quick fix to a SPAM problem that the client had caused with his newsletter.

They SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I believe that it is only this "Ed Butler" character behind everything

Is it realy a surprise a 49 pence host doesn't offer top notch support? Even if you dont have everything unlimited .. I mean .. what were you thinking.... Check the shared hosting forums. . you can get a nice deal for ~10us$ .. but 49 pence. ...
    Alexander

I set up a simple website for a major organization on there servers back in July
    I cant understand why people would host business web sites on cheap servers!

It just doesnt make sence!

Damn Darth - Do they just let anyone join up

They must pay the $25 setup fee first

hehe, what a crock.

A little searching and it seems 49pence went from Fasthosts to Vibus.

Looks like they have learned the error of their ways and are no longer offering unlimited transfer or storage, from 49pence.co.uk
    Chris at TDMWeb.com
    Windows & Linux hosting and fully managed dedicated servers with great customer service!
    UK-based but serving the world...

Standard Linux - £79/month
    Powerful entry-level solution
    - £79/month
    - £149 set up (waived on one year contract)
    - Intel Celeron 1.2ghz (Tualatin core)
    - 256MB SDRAM
    - 40GB 7200rpm hard disk
    - 4 IP addresses
    - RedHat Linux 7.3
    - 5gb bandwidth/month
    - Bandwidth monitoring
    40GB Hard disk
    5GB Bandwidth

Eurofficial, bandwidth is expensive in the UK.

I understand that, but I think anyone who is looking for a dedicated server will be using alot more than 5GB badnwidth.

Where are their servers located?

Originally posted by Eurofficial
    I understand that, but I think anyone who is looking for a dedicated server will be using alot more than 5GB badnwidth.

Where are their servers located?
    I would believe they are with Vibus.

A blanket statement like 5GB is not enough just shows ignorance.

Different people need different things, who are we to comment.

49 pence seems like a good company that had prior problems due to Fasthosts. (which is not surprising)

I personnally think anybody that signs up for a 5 dollar UNLIMITED ACCOUNT and then comes here of all places to complain they were booted for useing tooo much space or bannwidth should have to pay somesort of Sympathy Fine.
    I think it would just about fund the forums!
    Mike