Any success on Mars?

Does anyone know if there are any robots/machines on the red planet now that are and have been functioning good?

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

The british one didn't make it. Neither Mars Odyssey nor powerful British and U.S. radio telescopes has been able to pick up a signal from Beagle, which was supposed to land Christmas Day. The US one hasn't landed yet. It's supposed to land within the enxt few days tho
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

It's vaugely one of Begals functions broke/malfunctioned.......

Why do we british loose everything to the US Yanks?

I've heard there were two successful missions about 20 years ago and 2 successful landings in 1996. Unconfirmed though.

http://www.seds.org/~spider/mars/mars-l.html
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

My theory about all the "lost" mars probes is this:

When they fire up the cameras and a little green man is waving back, they say the probe was lost. The world's not ready for little green men yet!

Err.. sure... little green man... yeah... we are not alone!

I never saw a point to landing on mars...
    When the US got to the moon first, the USSR announced that it never meant to go to the moon, and that its going to mars instead... guess how many years ago that was?

And here we are, still wasting our time, racing to mars...

At the moment, its all pointless...

So we get to mars, and find some rocks, and discover that there was life there, and some geeky guys crap their pants... so what?

So what would have a point you ask?
    A new way of space travel... all the space countries work togther on one big project to build a ship that can travel much faster, and much cheaper...

And THEN go to mars... what's the hurry?

All the money wasted on all those probs that got lost...

Take your time, build something better togther, put linux on it, and not windows... and away we go.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

Beagle2's mothership (Mars Express) is going to be over Mars surface on the 5th Jan and if there is any hope of contacting Beagle2 it will be betweeen the 5th and the 8th Jan 2004..

The only tried method of contact with Beagle2 was with the mothership so if this fails, then Beagle2's fait if pretty much slated.

Apparently also on the 5th Jan Beagle2 will automatically begin "calling" Earth more frequently (every 10mins), this should improve our chances of finding it.

As for the US Mars mission robot Spirit is due to land this Sunday.
    ^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
    "The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"

Originally posted by s.h.a.zz.y
    Apparently also on the 5th Jan Beagle2 will automatically begin "calling" Earth more frequently (every 10mins), this should improve our chances of finding it.
    Assuming it actually made it.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

Originally posted by websterworld
    And here we are, still wasting our time, racing to mars...
    What race? Who is racing? You got the whole thing wrong, my friend.

Space missions are now collaborative ones, involving many scientists in many groups and in many countries.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Originally posted by HG-Owen
    It's vaugely one of Begals functions broke/malfunctioned.......

Why do we british loose everything to the US Yanks?
    Because us yanks invest billions of dollars into the Nasa Program so one day we can conquer a new planet and call it the United Planets of the Gallaxy!

Pssshhh. Mars.. who needs it.

Because us yanks invest billions of dollars into the Nasa Program so one day we can conquer a new planet and call it the United Planets of the Gallaxy!
    Only to find out the newly conquered planet is filled with Japanese tourists with digital camera's asking the invading forces to take their picture

What's the point in conquering a new planet? We can't even take proper care of the one we already have. Once we learn how to do that, then I say we're ready to start looking for more of them.
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

Originally posted by Tazzman
    Only to find out the newly conquered planet is filled with Japanese tourists with digital camera's asking the invading forces to take their picture

What's the point in conquering a new planet? We can't even take proper care of the one we already have. Once we learn how to do that, then I say we're ready to start looking for more of them.
    Too many people on this planet. lol.

Seems like the NASA Spirit mission was an success.
    They already have there first images back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3365371.stm
    ^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
    "The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"

At the moment, its all pointless...
    They are going there to see if they can find water aswell as various other things. If they can find water it brings manned missions a lot closer because then they can use the water to get oxygen and hyrdrogen.

We can't even take proper care of the one we already have.
    And thats one of the reasons to find somewhere else we might be able to live once the Earth gets too polluted.
    Steve

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    They are going there to see if they can find water aswell as various other things. If they can find water it brings manned missions a lot closer because then they can use the water to get oxygen and hyrdrogen.
    Heh... you do realize what your saying right?

First of all "they" are saying it will take 50 years...

I think it will take much longer... mars is HUGE, creating air on it will be very hard, and it will take years and years... (hundreds of years)

so its not going to be in my lifetime... probably not even my greatsons time...
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.

If its going to take hundreds of years they better get started now then even if the earth should give us a little bit more time than that, but it would be nice to have the option to move to mars in the future...
    Steve

Steve you do realize that you'd be in a very cold and dark place by that time don't you?

someone has watched the Red Planet a little too much.

we will create algae on mars and it will create o2 on mars. then we can have mining activities there which will produce basic camps. Ones mini colonies are made travel will begin to mars in few years and from mars we can explore rest of our universe.
    * ´¨`*:·. .·:*´¨` * ~ X-Max ~ * ´¨`*:·. .·:*´¨` *
    I love Wikipedia.

They already have there first images back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3365371.stm
    PSshh. Yeah, that's real.

Originally posted by westcan
    what reason have you to justify that it is not?

I want to emphasise the point that s.h.a.zz.y made, Beagle 2 isn't lost yet so talking about it like it is, is a bit hastey.

You have to remember that this is Britains first probe to Mars or anywhere for that matter and it did make it to the planet so that is an achievment. It cose 1/5 the price or lower than "Spirit" did by itself and is a major step forward.

NASA and others have lost DOZENS of craft or probes since the 70's.

In a nut shell, we haven't lost anythingand we've got more craft to go before our ratio is worse. SMART-1 is on its way to the Moon right now by the way and that is British/European.

Now don't get me wrong, i think it is fantastic news that Spirit has made it and others, not to mention Mars Odyssey and Express, taking the race forward does not have to be limited to nationality but of course i'd prefer it if Britain played a part.

The teraform plan is a long term view and one that is in theory atainable. I was under the impression that it will involve shipping bags of Earth's green house gases to the Red Planet to help begin the creation.

We don't need that to settle there mind you, pressurized domes will be more than sufficient.

If i had the money which i don't at the minute but if possible i'd put money down on the futures market that Mankind will have along term-permenant settlement on Mars before 2100.

Originally posted by westcan
    Are you just playing devils advocate or do you but into the whole "moon landing conspiracy theory" and in turn this one??
    Last edited by Critic; 01-04-2004 at 09:12 PM.