Top Shopping Cart Features you can't live without

What are the top shopping cart features you can't live without? I am interested in your ideas and suggestions. Thanks.

Well, johnroger, I think the most important feature I needed was the support. Me being a non-PHP guy I needed the help of the professionals to help me. That is why I chose digiSHOP. I am telling you, man, this cart is the best thing on the market today!

Well - here is a quick list of features that you might consider to be valuable in any shopping cart system:

- Ability to have multiple product attributes (size, color, value-adds, and ability to have different pricing for attributes)

- Ability to have cross-selling (i.e. if you buy prod X, offer prod Y)

- Ability to allow easy check out that is hassle-free for customer

- Ability to setup affiliates for 3rd party link tracking & referrals

- Ability to setup coupons and discount codes for sales

- Ability to have the ability to calculate S&H based upon custom formulas, shipping tiers (units, price, cost) or courier integration

- Ability to pass transaction data in real-time for customized real-time inventory management and tracking

- Ability to generate fulfillment orders for fulfillment centers/warehouses whereby the packing slips are printed

- Ability to handle continuity and recurring billing capacity

- Nice sales and visit reports, preferably with conversion details

- Seamless integration with the merchant's gateway/account

- Solid support with the system in a way that allows it to be expanded and adjusted over time

Hope that info is helpful!
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

Adding to Chris's outstanding list above....

- Integrate with some sort of ERP and CRM package

- Ability to post multiple images for any single product

- Incorporate leasing options

- Accept PO's

- Notify friends of products they may be interested in

Great list, Chris.

Also:
    Ability to incorporate Canadian federal/provincial sales taxes.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Good point Vito - also integration with Canadian Merchant Account Providers (like PSIgate for example)

In fact, since you mentioned Canadian merchants, multiple currency support overall might be a closely related one to add in too that goes right along with that.

Another feature that could be nice would be a real-time shipping tracking link / order status link. In other words, in the e-mail receipt there is a link generated by the store system that a customer can click on to see the status of the order.
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

Reporting, reporting and more reporting...
    Nickki Steptoe

Speaking of reporting... product-based reporting is a very useful feature.

I.e. so that you can see how many of each product SKU / prodID# have been sold over X to Y period of time.

I'm curious - what other kinds of reports have folks here in this forum found to be helpful for either yourselves or your merchants?

10. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!