Do you employ other people?

Being recently fired from my job (ironically as I apparantly couldn't be woken up this morning, HMMM) I'm contemplating going into the hosting industry.. I'm a skilled admin, programmer,tech supporter and I can also make a MEAN cup of tea.

However

I've never dealt with the recruitment side of web-hosting so i have no idea the amount of subcontracting, so here's the question

1. Do you employ other people to manage certain aspects of your webhosting
    2. Do you mind the people you employ being across the ocean from you?
    3. Would you pay £300 a month for any of the skills I mentioned above?

I'd have to find some smaller forums and pimp myself there.. I thought of becoming blackhat also, root boxes and charge to fix them, but I'm white hat and don' want to change.

yes we do employ other people especially those on the other side of the world. can't stay awake 24 hours also need help with sales which other people seem to have a skill with.
    TopQHost - We Provide Affordable Web Hosting with Top Quality Service

^^^ Ta for replying.. if you odn't mind me asking, how much do you pay for some of your people? My flat rent is £290 p/m + food, I can JUST scrape 2 months out of my savings so I have till the end of feburary to find employment

it depends. there are some who are willing to do support and server admin for experience and some server space/bandwidth. sales people usually go for commissions on their sales. other support techs want a fixed rate. so far all of our techs have agreed to the space/bandwidth method though i know of some who get payed $50 and above weekly.
    TopQHost - We Provide Affordable Web Hosting with Top Quality Service

Fair enough.. I can barely support myself on £400 a month so I desperately need employment

Moved to employment so you can "pimp" yourself on a larger forum

Haha thanks anon.

Ok in that case:

Hi, I'm Paul. I've served many roles in the past, most voluntary, a couple paid.

I'm an experienced linux admin with very fine taste () .. I consider every problem a challenge and enjoy beating them, and i'm not even bullshitting you.

I can code in perl, VB, bits of C and PHP.. I can learn whatever, I also know ASP, SQL, bits of windows admin etc etc etc

I'm also studying for a CCNA which I can't be bothered to complete at the moment..

So yeah, if anyone wants me, i'm willing to do anything for any amount of money if it's feasable, i'm unfortunately, a desperate bunny

PS. check out my T+SI posts for examples of my work.

Admitting that you got fired for not waking up on time is probably not the best way to find new employment.

Not a good introduction

First, the firing...although I hardly think oversleeping once was the complete story....but,
    I thought of becoming blackhat also, root boxes and charge to fix them
    The minute you even hint at something like that you go on a list of people never to work with. Frankly, sounds like you may have a lot of skills and talent, but growing up to do and need to regroup and try to present yourself more professionally.

Yes, people do hire from around the world. Yes, your pay expectations are reasonable.

Those pay expectations are more then likely not going to happen here on WHT i suggest you try Monster.com

Re: Not a good introduction

growing up to do and need to regroup and try to present yourself more professionally.

Yes, people do hire from around the world. Yes, your pay expectations are reasonable.
    I can present myself 'professionally' but i'm not a white collar worker, I despise a lot of managment. I'm courteous, polite and intelligent, just not 'professional'

I can present myself 'professionally' but i'm not a white collar worker, I despise a lot of managment. I'm courteous, polite and intelligent, just not 'professional'
    I would add 'and candid to a fault' to that list. While your candor is admirable as a personal quality, it probably will do you more harm than good in employment hunting.

You've got to sell yourself to get the job, so highlite the positive and only offer the less flattering information (like "I despise a lot of managment" and "just not professional") when asked directly.

HTH, it's just my input and may not compute,
    Scott
    ~Scott Bannon
    BanProNET - A Different Kind Of Network - Affiliate Program
    7 Locations On 3 Continents | Building Today With Thinking For Tomorrow

Where about in the UK are you based winkie?